Radar Detector - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radar Detector

Denny

Re: Radar Detector

I use a Passport SR1. It's a remote unit hidden in front of the radiator with a speaker in my helmet. Totally stealth and I don't have to take it w/ me when I park the bike. All the cops in the city have Lidar so if it goes off it's too late. You might get lucky and get an early warning. I just watch my speed in the city. Where its best is outside the city where they are still using a lot of radar.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Denny : I use a Passport SR1. It's a remote unit hidden in front of the radiator with a speaker in my helmet. Totally stealth and I don't have to take it w/ me when I park the bike. All the cops in the city have Lidar so if it goes off it's too late. You might get lucky and get an early warning. I just watch my speed in the city. Where its best is outside the city where they are still using a lot of radar.
    Is that a cordless unit?

Baketech

My detector is an outdated POS....but it still works, and has saved my bacon on a few occasions.

Disclaimer:
    Not because I was speeding, but I may have let my speed drift going downhill. Nice to have a reminder in these situations....

http://members.fireblades.org/bakete...es/lapmt07.JPG

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Trackho

Red Rider : . *On the 929 I used the suction cup mount but removed the cups and mounted it directly to the inside of my ZG Double Bubble with two bolts and rubber bumpers. *I have it hardwired to my bike *I had the H.A.R.D. system and sold it...didn't like having to take my eyes off the road to read the signal. *I much prefer determining type of radar/laser and signal strength by sound.

Hot setup...works great! *
    If you dont wnat to dril holes--I found the super-dupre velcro works fine in leiu of the suction cups as well.

The HARD system doesnt distinguish form K to Ka (Band)--X is programmed out on mine---but in reality doesnt make much diff--as in the twsities (all Ka) -- its a could signal--in town go get some bogus K--but not usually speeding in town anyway

Cant figure out--the 'looking down' comment--the HARD exists for eaxctly this reason--perosnally, I love being untethered from the bike via the audio--MP3 player is now velcroed to helemt

Denny

Red Rider : Quote (Denny @ Aug. 07 2003, 1:25pm)I use a Passport SR1. It's a remote unit hidden in front of the radiator with a speaker in my helmet. Totally stealth and I don't have to take it w/ me when I park the bike. All the cops in the city have Lidar so if it goes off it's too late. You might get lucky and get an early warning. I just watch my speed in the city. Where its best is outside the city where they are still using a lot of radar.
    Is that a cordless unit?
    No. not cordless. It's remote. the main unit is weather resistant and mounts somewhere near the front of the bike/car. There is a small display you can hide but mine's under the seat and I just use the audio alerts wired to my helmet from the handlebar. I think there's an advantage to the hidden unit cuz if you get stopped and he's sees your detector=>automatic ticket. Passport now makes the SRX which includes laser 'shifting'. When it detects Laser it fires LED's that confuse the LIDAR gun while it alerts you. This is the one to have now, IMO. Unfortunately it costs about $1000 at a discount. It would take a lot of citations to pay for that.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, those are nice, but if I ever got a radar detector I'd want to be able to move it back and forth between bike and truck easily.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trackho : Cant figure out--the 'looking down' comment--the HARD exists for eaxctly this reason--perosnally, I love being untethered from the bike via the audio--MP3 player is now velcroed to helemt
    With the HARD I found that I still had to look at the V1 to determine the type of alert since K, Ka, and Laser are all used around here (and even X in some remote 'burbs). The audio lets me distinguish type and distance to source (and pending threat level). I'm also used to listening to the alerts when I have the V1 installed in my car...mostly has become a habit to listen more than look at the unit. Plus, I don't mind being tethered to the bike by a coiled cord as I can listen to music, or use the communicator as needed.

2OHOH2

Red Rider : Quote (Trackho @ Aug. 07 2003, 2:34pm)Cant figure out--the 'looking down' comment--the HARD exists for eaxctly this reason--perosnally, I love being untethered from the bike via the audio--MP3 player is now velcroed to helemt
    With the HARD I found that I still had to look at the V1 to determine the type of alert since K, Ka, and Laser are all used around here (and even X in some remote 'burbs). *The audio lets me distinguish type and distance to source (and pending threat level). *I'm also used to listening to the alerts when I have the V1 installed in my car...mostly has become a habit to listen more than look at the unit. *Plus, I don't mind being tethered to the bike by a coiled cord as I can listen to music, or use the communicator as needed.
    Exactamundo

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Denny : Passport now makes the SRX which includes laser 'shifting'. When it detects Laser it fires LED's that confuse the LIDAR gun while it alerts you. This is the one to have now, IMO. Unfortunately it costs about $1000 at a discount. It would take a lot of citations to pay for that.
    I've had three confirmed laser hits where the cop could not get a reading on me. I don't know whether it's the shape of the fairings, the Philips bulbs and hi-beams I have on, or the speed I was riding at but my V1 caught it and I was able to ride on past the source totally immune. I even noticed the expression of bewilderment on the one officer as he must've thought he had a guaranteed big ticket (90+ in a 55)...

2OHOH2

ConqSoft : Yeah, those are nice, but if I ever got a radar detector I'd want to be able to move it back and forth between bike and truck easily.
    The V1 comes off the bike in seconds, and goes in the car in seconds. I have hard-wire kits in both (just a wired-in telephone cord in the 954), so it's literally pnp.

BushrodW

I use a Valentine 1 maounted on the 929 mount that the linked company sells. It mounts to the front brake master cylinder. I have mine on a longer bolt than supplier sends and mounted between two rubber washers with appropriately sized washers.

It doesn't bounce around as much as it did without the rubber washers and rotates nicely from over the key and back.

I also use the V1 audio and heads up adapters.

BW

o'town929

Ok guys, I got my R.D. today, and the end of the power cord looks like a phone cord! How am I going to hard wire the bike? Do I have to buy their $40 cord or can one be made? Thanks

2OHOH2

My solution/suggestion for wiring up the V1:

- using a multimeter (M), find a switched + cable in the wiring harness (I used the main front harness underneath the right front cowl), then find a nice ground wire
    - plug the V1 cord into the cig lighter, and using a M, figure out which wire is +, which - (I think it's the red and green)
    - using a length of phone cord, cut it, and splice one end into the harness (+,-)
    - get a F-F adapter (lets you run two cords together), and plug the now-powered telephone cord into it
    - find a nice place to put the adapter (I put mine just to the right of the front tank bolts, under the tank, after wrapping it with some rubber hose to snug it in there)
    - connect the V1 into the adapter, presto, it's wired in and is easily removed

o'town929

Sounds easy enough, so a standard phone cord can support 12volt dc no problem? Ok, I'll try and let you know how I make out. Thanks

2OHOH2

o'town929 : Sounds easy enough, so a standard phone cord can support 12volt dc no problem? Ok, I'll try and let you know how I make out. Thanks *
    Phones = umm, something like 50V

...but it's the amperage that you would normally worry about anyways, but not in this case - a standard telephone cord is enough.

o'town929

Thanks

2OHOH2

No problem. Careful with the wiring, take your time, use good 3M electrical tape, use zip ties to keep the wiring from coming apart over time, and have some fuses handy.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you got a V1, it should come with a hard wire kit. I just hardwired mine to the battery, so it used the Valentine phone cord and is fused. Ran it up the right side of the bike and bundled the excess wire under the right 'ram air' cover thingy. Standard phone cord will work for power, but not between the unit and external volume box, if your planning on using headphones.

BlueToy

I've bot a Bel 990 international radar detector and was wondering if any of you guys have got one to work on a bike?

Getting the power is fine, just wondering if you know of any accessories you can get for it so that the buttons and display/ speaker are remote?

I don't particularly want to chop it up to wire my own buttons and speaker up to it as I use it in the car as well.

thanks

Ben.

CBR629

I love the V1..I've had the V1 for 5 years with no tickets!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast