now i need help picking out a gps system
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: now i need help picking out a gps system

BigRich954rr

now i need help picking out a gps system

i would like to be able to go from my car to my bike but i do not want it to fall off the bike what a good model to buy. at work i have a magellan 700 but is there better or smaller one that are good . how to mount it to a bike andwould like it to read my speed . i was looking at the Magellan® Meridian color and the platinum but i have no idea what would be better for a bike i was looking for one that i just can type in the place i want to go on the fly like the 700 i have at work
    Last edited by BigRich954rr; 11-20-2005 at 3:45 AM.

BigRich954rr

Re: now i need help picking out a gps system

well i bought a magellan Meridian® Color GPS hope it works good

Baketech

Garmin 276C...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I guess I missed this thread too. Definately would have pointed you toward Garmin....

Baketech

Haven't used any Magellan stuff since the "pre-map" era...don't know much about it. How about writing a review once you get it going...

BigRich954rr

well i think im returning the magellan if i can cause it sucks next to the one i have at work so now im looking at a new one again . which hold all the map info in the gps so if im in fl i can just type in a street in nj or anywhere and it will give me turn by turn steps on to each road
    Last edited by BigRich954rr; 11-25-2005 at 5:35 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

seen the new Garmin 2730 or 376?
    2720 is nice too...I have a 2610 but it hasn't made it to the bike yet

EatnAsphalt

Here's a good reading review on the Garmin Quest line.

http://bytebrothers.org/reviews/GarminQuest/

Mattress

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich954rr
    well i bought a magellan Meridian® Color GPS hope it works good
    I've had mine a few years, great GPS, it doesn't do turn by turn directions, but I was looking and new firmware solves that

dostadawg

Received a GPS for Christmas and it was a duplicate gift. Thinking about putting it on my bike, a cruiser. It is a Garmin Nuvi 255w. Any problem with doing that? I have an electrical wired fitting for a battery maintainer that is wired to the battery. Would I run the power cord to that fitting? Don't know if this unit is waterproof but assume I could cover it with something like the ones used for boating accessories (fish finder, gps, etc). Also, can head set be connected to the unit for tex to voice function?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DougDeGood07

Garmin is the way to go. You can get hard cases for the Garmins, check out your local electronics store...best buy..etc.

dostadawg

Thanks for the response. I searched motorcycle GPS and all the ones specifically for bikes were $500-$1000. Wondering if the Nuvi 255w would be ok to use as far as shock resistance.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I vote for the TomTom.

Destructo

I bought my GPS at the beginning of 2008 - looked at either TomTom Rider or Garmin Zumo.

After looking through loads of forums, reviews etc. on the Web I decided to go for the Zumo, as the TomTom was reported to have some reliability issues. Garmin also supplied both car & bike mounts in the box. The final factor was that, apparently, the Zumo is designed as a Motorcycle system, whereas the TomTom is adapted from a car unit?

However, the Zumo has not been perfect. I have had the unit lock up on me in the car once, which was fixed by removing the battery. To do this, you need an Allen key - luckily I had one with me.

It also locked up the first time I got caught in rain on the bike. Again removing the battery re-set it OK, but the motorcycle cradle was killed by the rain. I sent it back to Garmin who replaced it for free (quickly too) but it shouldn't have happened.

In terms of using the Zumo, it is pretty straightforward. However I find the display a little jerky too - it makes it easy to miss a turning, especially if there are 2 close to each other.

Overall, I'd say it is an OK piece of kit - easy to use, and much easier to use on the move than traditional maps. I'm definitely a SatNav fan. However as far as reliability goes I am disappointed. Seems the Zumo has as many issues as the TomTom is reported to have.

I've never tried the TomTom Rider, so I don't know how well they actually perform, but at the moment I would not recommend the Zumo purely based on the problems I have had.

TroyBoy30