Gear Position sensor
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Gear Position sensor

djwimbo

Gear Position sensor

I have a 2006 CB600F (599/Hornet) and I am new to the motorcycle world. I would like to install a gear position indicator near my gauge cluster. Since I'm new and have about 40 miles to my name until I fix the bike, I would like to simplify the things I need to keep track of. At times in this area people can be very hostile and no matter how much I pay attention to my driving people always do dumb stuff.
    Where I'm going is that I can't seem to find a gear position indicator that's made for my bike. Are there universal kits? and does my bike even have a factory sensor to tap into? My gauge cluster notifies me when I'm in neutral, so there's got to be something there. I like the compact design of the GlPro but I'm hesitant to purchase b/c it seems they're only made for injected bikes, as mine is carb.

Thanks, wimbo

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Gear Position sensor

Save your money. A gear indicator will only distract your attention to the road.

flightmedic954

since you asked & I am not a fan of others telling me how to spend my own $$...
    I went w/ the DiGi which I did have to splice in the wires, it was easy

but Acumen now has a plug & play one
    & yes I like it, but I am quite sure many would say I have wasted much $$ on my bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Bogel

Hi all

Anybody out there ever tried making a gear indicator. Would love to know about it

Bogel

djwimbo

I would be curious on doing it. It can't be that hard. I'd imagine I could set up a string of LED's either change by colors or numbers 1-6, or grn, ylw, red, blu, etc. that change by gears. I'd have to see the wiring diagram of how the other ones work first to make my own.

Bogel

Making the part with the LED's is the easy part. How to pick up the gear position is the hard part. Mounting something on the gear lever exposes it to weather conditions and dirt. Putting something inside the gearbox is not an option. How do these aftermarket goodies work??

flightmedic954

Quote Originally Posted by Bogel View Post
    How do these aftermarket goodies work??
    Visa

djwimbo

true, but I'm a nerd when it comes to electronics. Though there has to be some integrated circuit board to translate the signal. I read up on how to "initialize" the gear position sensor, and it sound odd. I'll have to see if I can find a wiring diagram.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Save your money. A gear indicator will only distract your attention to the road.
    Thats probally the reason one didn't come on the bike.. But I have thought about one before too but realized it probally would be a waste but each to his own.. It would be interesting to see if someone could make one..

sheepofblue

Quote Originally Posted by Maholli View Post
    Thats probally the reason one didn't come on the bike.. But I have thought about one before too but realized it probally would be a waste but each to his own.. It would be interesting to see if someone could make one..
    They had them on the GSX600R's we rode at Schwantz and I wish I had one on the RC. On a new track sometimes I loose track of gear and have to go to six and reset. I did not look at the one on the Suzuki often but with it being a new track and a new bike it was nice to have (both people that I knew made similar comments). I can also see that it would be nice on long rides with the RR. Unfortunately they do not make a plug and play for the RC.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im pretty sure the new RR has one... Im not saying their a waste just that it would distract me personally... Most new bikes have them.. So Im in the minority on this one..

-Z-

I believe the new Kawi's have one too, stock.

As far as how they work, I'm not sure, but I would guess it has something to do with comparing the signal from the tach (thereby reading engine RPM) and the signal from the speedometer (thereby reading front sprocket RPM) and calculating the ratio and displaying a gear number to match that ratio.

Of course, if you're rolling down the freeway and pull in the clutch and roll off the throttle, then that would probably confuse the simple method I mention above....but for every problem there is a solution.