Suction mount for GPS?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Suction mount for GPS?

Slim08

Suction mount for GPS?

I've been exploring the different options for mounting my Garmin Nuvi on my blade.

The easiest way is to put it under the clear map cover in my tank bag, but this means I have to look a long way down to read the map.

Ram mounts seem really sturdy and reliable though perhaps a little tricky to initially get all the right parts for.

What I'd like to find out... has anybody used a suction mount to attach their satnav to their windscreen? I know it's not recommended because the mounts are only recommended for glass... but has anyone done this?

I tried it out yesterday (pics attached) and it worked really well. I put a couple ties on it to make sure I didn't lose it if it fell off. I went a variety of speeds but didn't drive for more than about 20 minutes. Perhaps over a longer amount of time it would lose suction?

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suction mount for GPS?-dsc07451-small-.jpg   Suction mount for GPS?-dsc07452-small-.jpg   Suction mount for GPS?-dsc07453-small-.jpg  

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Suction mount for GPS?

my thought are I would never trust that. go with the ram mounts. I have the bar mounting system but if I were you I'd go with the steering stem mount because of the upper fairing bracket on your bike. RAM motorcycle mount form stem mounts
    then I'd go with a short arm. you have a better idea how much room you have in that area of the cockpit so choose accordingly. then you pick your gps cradle.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

Slim08

Thanks for you input.

I agree that it may not be wise to rely on the suction mount. I'll have to see if I can get the part you recommended in the UK.

This will mean however that the gps will turn with the handle bars, right? Do you ever find that this is a problem?

I like where I was able to place the GPS with the suction mount... buried deep under the windscreen, protected from weather and right beside the gauges... too bad it can't be trusted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

mdanm56

How would that ram mount work with the electronic steering stabilizer on my 07 1krr?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdanm56 View Post
    How would that ram mount work with the electronic steering stabilizer on my 07 1krr?
    the Ram mount I have mounts on the handlebar. the HB1(?) bolts over the brake lever mount. from there you attach the arm to the ball and then the cradle that holds the gps. your stock steering stabilizer won't be affected in any way. on my bike I have to check clearance at full lock both ways so it doesn't hit my Ohlins damper or the fairing.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

bjay51d

you can mount that puppy to th fairing stay

CARBONRRPILOT

hey slim08, that looks clean, gotta keep it like that, just hide a cord/wire along the mount where ya cant see it, but if she lets go she wont go bye-bye!

keifin

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    my thought are I would never trust that. go with the ram mounts. I have the bar mounting system but if I were you I'd go with the steering stem mount because of the upper fairing bracket on your bike. RAM motorcycle mount form stem mounts
    then I'd go with a short arm. you have a better idea how much room you have in that area of the cockpit so choose accordingly. then you pick your GPSS cradle.

That stem mount is exactly what i was looking for(but didn't know it). It will let me interchange all my electronics between both bikes now.

Slim08

CarbonRRPilot - Thanks for your comment. I like the looks of it there too. I did tie it to the frame so that it wouldn't be lost if it dropped off. I tested it to 130mph (closed track and it held firm.

Clearly the Stem Mount is the long term solution. Haven't found a retailer in the UK that sells these yet. Only compatible product is $50 from a guy that designs and builds them himself. It's a lot of money compared to $14 from RAM.

Can I ask.. how have you guys powered your devices? Has anyone installed a relay so no power can be drawn while ignition is turned off? I'd like to be able to supply power to a GPS, Heated grips, intercom system, etc.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have a relay on mine but its wired directly to the battery. its actually made by Garmin so it has the proper connector on the unit end and just bare wires on the battery end. works great. no worries about it drawing power because I don't leave it on the bike if I'm not riding it.

curt248

holy crap that is cool! I don't have anything to put on it, but now that makes me think about buying a radar detector. Could be useful right?

CARBONRRPILOT

i wired a power port (cig lighter) socket under my boyz rear seat where he keeps his phone, now he can charge it or run any 12v accessorys, the few times ive needed nav on my cycle i use this setup from my workvan nav, i cut two slots in the car cradle for my mp3 armband, works very well, full charge lasts all day and easy to see even while riding! haha two nav's in one, check it out! http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...inishednav.jpg