Helmet Cameras
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Cameras

segiano

Helmet Cameras

I have been doing some research on helmet cameras. The VIO POV1 looks like a nice mobile package with a good camera head. Does anyone have any experience with this unit or have any recommendations based on their experience. I am looking for a unit that I can mount on my helmet or on the bike. Thanks for any information you can share.

croue

Re: Helmet Cameras

I haven't looked up that camera. But I got the setup from helmetcam.com

It's a decent unit. Theirs is quite similar to many others except that they also sell you an aluminum housing to protect it.

The camera works great, just make sure that if you use your own camcorder that it has an a/v in jack.

C

segiano

Croue... Thanks for the reply. I saw this unit on the internet. Do you use the DVR from helmetcam or a separate camcorder? I see that they sell the entire package. How do you mount the camera head? Velcro?? Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by croue View Post
    I haven't looked up that camera. But I got the setup from helmetcam.com

It's a decent unit. Theirs is quite similar to many others except that they also sell you an aluminum housing to protect it.

The camera works great, just make sure that if you use your own camcorder that it has an a/v in jack.

C

do you have a link to your setup because helmetcam.com just gives more links.

the VIO POV1 is a full setup (dvr and helmet cam all in one). I've been thinking of getting it. Here's a nice review of it.

the bulletdvr also looks nice but you'd still have to get a helmet cam.

this one also doesn't look too bad but more than I wanna spend. I like the idea of running multiple cameras at the same time for different angles. Race Optics Product Detail
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

croue

I used my own camcorder. However, I think the vibrations are killing some of the switches. I think I'm going to get a DVR type recorder like they sell.
    For mounting, they include 'industrial velcro' for mounting. I have put it on my helmet and inside the cowling next to the wheel.

Two bits of advice,

1) Don't put it right over the front fender. Mount it to the side. When the forks bottom out, there is just not quite enough room for the camera mount. I cracked the tabs on my front fender this way.
    2) If you put it on your helmet, make sure to test the positioning in full tuck. I have some great footage of the pavement at Laguna Seca going by at 140 is you're interested! Hint, it looks waaay to far back when it's in the right position. The cool thing about the helmet mount is it shows where you're looking in all the corners.

I run the wires alongside the frame and put the camcorder in a bag under the rear seat.

I also always use an extra layer of duct tape when mounting the camera inside the front fairing. I'd hate to have it come off the velcro and get shredded by the front wheel!

C

segiano

Jungleboy

I just started a similar thread on 1000RR.net

Im after an onboard camera for my racebike, but havent seen many that I think are up to the job...

Im after something that has its own recording device as I dont want to connect to a camcorder.

I have been looking at Elmo SUV-Cam
    http://www.elmo.co.jp/suv-cam/en/index.html
    But every vid on there site seems to have buffering problems (software?) even once downloaded and saved to my HDD also the frame rate seems a little low (25fps) as you get the effect of the wheel turning backwards (check their Harley drag bike). This camera would be exactly what Im looking for if the video quality wasnt suspect?

Also looking at this one ATC2K it does 30fps, but the only thing I want is to be able to add a remote mic so I can place it out of the wind and closer to the exhaust It has an inbuilt mic but not sure if an auxillary one can be added?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

segiano

Croue- Thanks for all the guidance on the camera mounts. Are you happy with the video quality?

croue

I'm very happy with the video quality.

I have some nice laps recorded from Thunderhill a few years ago.
    The file is several GB's though. I can look into posting it online somewhere if anyone wants to check it out.

C

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleboy View Post
    I just started a similar thread on 1000RR.net

Im after an onboard camera for my racebike, but havent seen many that I think are up to the job...

Im after something that has its own recording device as I dont want to connect to a camcorder.

I have been looking at Elmo SUV-Cam
    http://www.elmo.co.jp/suv-cam/en/index.html
    But every vid on there site seems to have buffering problems (software?) even once downloaded and saved to my HDD also the frame rate seems a little low (25fps) as you get the effect of the wheel turning backwards (check their Harley drag bike). This camera would be exactly what Im looking for if the video quality wasnt suspect?

Also looking at this one ATC2K it does 30fps, but the only thing I want is to be able to add a remote mic so I can place it out of the wind and closer to the exhaust It has an inbuilt mic but not sure if an auxillary one can be added?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

the VIO POV1 has a higher resolution 720x480, I know its only a little bit but that 704x480 of the Elmo seems like an odd size. and the POV1 is 30fps. not sure if you can add in a separate mic to replace the inline one.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

sheepofblue

I use a Sony DV VCR with a Hoyttech 580 line cam in a HelmetCamera.com case.

I like DV as tapes are easy to find with good resolution. However those days are about over (if not already) finding a DV tape cam with LANC and AV IN is just about impossible.

I don't care for the POV as an all in one setup is a pain. Over the years I have broken pieces and was able to mix and match for performance. Also I am scared of proprietary video compressors (long term compatibility and support).

I find the Bullet DVR with an external cam intriguing and it may be in my future to run a second cam.

The ATK is a toy and I would not bother.

croue

I love the idea of a solid state DVR.
    But $749 for the Bullet looks pretty pricey.

Any options for 480-line recording with removable memory for something like half of that?

C

John Stead

Yet another alternative for helmet cams and DVR recorders.

If you follow the specs, you will see a full 30 frames/second and full VGA resolution.

Any camera can be connected to this type of recorder which is not possible with the ELMO product.

Digital Recorder
    ------------------
    Waterproof Housing
    Waterproof Connectors
    Compact Size, 4” x 2.5” x 1”
    640x480 (VGA) resolution
    30 frames/second (fps)
    MPEG4 Compression
    QuickTime “.mov” files
    SD Card, up to 4GB
    Lithium Ion Battery, 1.8 Ahr

5 volt operating power

Camera
    ----------------------
    Waterproof Housing
    Small Size, 0.75” x 2.75”
    1/3” CCD Sensor
    768 x 494 resolution
    480 TV Lines
    0.6 LUX illumination
    50 degree view angle

5 volt operating power

Helmet Cameras-8x11-antsystems-helmet-dvr-system-tiny.jpg
    ANT Racing – Motorcycle Products and Accessories

Helmet Cameras-8x11-antsystems-bike-dvr-system-ov-tiny.jpg
    ANT Racing – Motorcycle Products and Accessories
    Last edited by John Stead; 04-05-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: can't read the image s... too small ... add links

CARBONRRPILOT

not sure about any of these systems, but i do know all of you should stay away from the atc 2k, i got one for my mtn bike, video rec is 30 fps but still often looks "slow" and the sound is awfull, i tried a compatible remote mic, soldered it directly to board, strong connection and still sounded like azz! i found a port.dvr(30 fps) on ebay for less than $200 and bullet cam (420 lines of res w/audio) for $100+/_ it worked great!

John Stead

Carbonrrpilot ....

what is a "atc 2k" ?

what is a "port.dvr(30 fp)"?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CARBONRRPILOT

as red rider said the atc 2k is a self contained all-in-one cam/rec'r (no wires, takes 2 aa batt's, sd card) didnt work real well for my mtn bike, but maybe i got a dud, hey RED RIDER have you had/heard anything good about these, and portable dvr (digital video recorder) records @ 30 frames per second which is just about real-time (i think 32 fps is considered real-time) sd slot, supports a 2 gig sd card (2 gig gives me about 2 1/2 hrs of video at it highest quallity, heres a pic of the dvr, which you can connect almost any camera (bullet, nightvision ect...)http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...pilot/dvr2.jpg heres a vid i made when i first got the dvr, this is plugged to my dash for the onboard cameras, but you can just plug any camera to it. Video of test camera - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Last edited by CARBONRRPILOT; 04-06-2008 at 9:56 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've never used the ATC2K, but you probably get what you pay for in terms of footage quality. I've used a Sony MiniDV camcorder with front and rear facing bullet cams to capture decent video.

CARBONRRPILOT

yea... i knew it wouldnt work good enough for my cycle, but i thought it be alright for a bicycle, i was incorrect!! i know that sony dv rec'd nice, could you record both cams at the same time, if so, howd ya set it up? i built in a small switch on the dash that i made which lets me easily toggle between front and rear cameras but i want to rec both at the same time without buying 2 dvr's, any suggestions?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used a switch to toggle between the front and reat, too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast