Hot Wires
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hot Wires

warloks38

Hot Wires

Hi Everyone,Im New on here so be gentle,I own a street fightered 893 1992 blade,The problem is that the 3 yellow wires which come from the alternator have melted at the connectors under the seat,I have checked the charging and the rectifier performance and are all fine,I did notice a few weeks back that the wires were getting warm but i thought this was normal,The battery seems a little under its normal performance,The system is charging at around 14.8 volts.But the battery goes flat when i have been for a run but charges up ok on my optimate.Sometimes the optimate says the battery is on its last legs and other times it says its ok,Help this is making my head hurt,
    Last edited by warloks38; 03-19-2008 at 5:28 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hot Wires

You need to check the stator, regulator and battery to see if they need replacing. You can cut off the melted connector and splice in the wires instead of having to replace the harness.

CBR_954_RR

Im having this exact same problem with my bike...it started dying, and it has started charging less and less. I think im just going to replace the stator and see if that does it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Ol' Gravy Leg

Quote Originally Posted by NDMBlackBlade View Post
    sounds like the reg and maybe the battery too.
    make shure the lights are on while testing.
    it's so funny; you're always saying it's the R/R on every bike with a charging problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR_954_RR View Post
    Im having this exact same problem with my bike...it started dying, and it has started charging less and less. I think im just going to replace the stator and see if that does it.
    it's NOT the stator. the heat is from the current going through the wires which tells us that the stator is doing its job.

it's either the battery is bad, and it constantly needs charging. or, it's R/R overcharging the battery (in which case, this will cause the battery to go bad, too).

Ol' Gravy Leg

didn't mean to come off bitchy. i was just making an observation. on some other thead(s), i talking someone through a proper dianosis, and you popped onto the thread and said "change the R/R". turned out not to the RR.

you're right on this one. but, i still thought it was funny.

i'm an electrical engineer.

Ol' Gravy Leg

Fare enough but i have the info the lads are giving up if i had the bike i would fix it no bother.
    i don't know what you're trying to say in this sentence.

elecy engineer is 1 thing bikes are another.
    the difference is that i can actually tell you how the charging system works.

do you even know what an electrical engineer is?

we're the guys actually *building* the bikes, in addition to the other engineers.

you could'nt even guess how many elecy guy's even car boy's get it wronge.
    perhaps you could take the time and point where i've been wrong. i don't advise people if i don't know what i'm talking about. there are plenty of knowledgeable people on the board.

The rule is if its a Honda and the chargeing is on the blink 90% of the time its the reg and sometimes its been left to long so a battery too.
    that's great. but, i try to save the other 10 percent time and money on unnecessary repair by talking them through a diagnosis procedure. if you actually cared about the other members, you'd take the time and do the same instead of just telling everyone and their mother to change their R/R.

Ol' Gravy Leg

this is actually a very funny post.

you've got a good sense of humor, NDM.

CBR400RR

You can always look up the parts to see if there is a new part number, if there is than they made a better part (hopefully) that won't have the same problems.