Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Big Red Owner

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Big Red Owner

Hello All,

I just picked up my new 2010 Big Red in Olive on Friday. So far, I love it.

I've been looking over this forum for a few days and thought I would add my reasons for owning a Big Reds as opposed to a Polaris or Yamaha.

First, let me say that I have driven both a Polaris RZR and a Kawasaki Teryx. I have raced both with a 09 Big Red Camo last summer.....and I can say without a doubt both will flat out destroy a Big Red in any kind of performance testing. (At least the ones we had together last June) I work as a Police Officer for a small town in Missouri, and we are lucky enough to have all the major manufacturers in town...Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha Polaris Artic Cat etc. So the local dealers let us "demo" atvs and MUVs every year at our Fourth of July festival. We use them to patrol the fair grounds etc. Well last year I borrowed a Camo Big Red from the local Honda guys, and we had several others bring atvs muvs for us to ride, some personal vehicles, some demos.

The Kawasaki felt very cheap.....steering felt like that of a Barbie Jeep....and I hate, hate, hate, the continuously variable transmission belt thing.....Polaris same thing.....it was a rocket...and if I was 19 again, it is what I would own. You could easily rip donuts with both in dry grass...it was great fun to act like a punk kid again.....for about 5 minutes!!!

The Big Red is not meant to be sporty in any way shape or form. It is a work vehicle, plain and simple. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

Now, with that being said, I can also say the Honda was by far and away a smoother riding, nicer driving, more high quality build than both the Kawasaki and the Polaris.

Why did I buy a Big Red? I live in a gated lake community so we can ride out ATVs and UTVs on the streets of our subdivision. I will use my Big Red to haul my Kayak to the lake, to take the trash down, (we have community dumpsters) and more importantly, to haul my Yellow Lab around with me......

The Big Red is great for what I need it for....I am not a young man who wants to go 60 mph over jumps and sand dunes.....I want a vehicle that I can haul with, tow with, and wont beat the ever lovin crap out of me on a daily basis....one that my lab fits in easily and will be reliable. One that I am comfortable in, and not smashed next to the guy beside me or sitting low to the ground like some kind of sports car.

So far I have done nothing to mine except remove the ridiculous netting over the passenger compartment. I have ordered the digital gauge package, but that wont be in for a week or so.

So thats my story, thats why I own a Big Red.......
    Last edited by Jared1956; 03-21-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Big Red Owner

Welcome to the forums. I was only able to drive the Artic Cat before I bought so I took more of a leap but felt good doing based on Honda's quality with past machines. I have no regrets with it but then again I use it mostly for plowing snow in the winter and trail riding the rest of the year.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jared,
    Thanks for the report! I just sold my kawasaki 610 mule yesterday and have been looking and watching this forum and others. I"m leaning towards getting a big red but want a red one and they say I have to wait until April 26th to be able to do that.

Coldfingers

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome. I've only owned mine now for about a month. I kind of wanted a UTV over an ATV. I have 40 acres of hardwoods and had been using a 3 wheeler (I bought new when 20) to pull a small trailer of firewood. No dealers in this state even carried them so while out of town I got to see one in person last fall. With snow coming I really didn't need it til spring.

Last month I stopped back in and they had a 2009 demo they would sell me for the same price as a left over new Foreman ES (I think). The dealer was in the middle of the city and only drove it around the parking lot and once had a demo in a sand pit.

So far I like it. When it's cold it tends to vibrate a bit, I think it's things like the box and the plastic. It's not the best in snow if it bottoms out and I suspect if I bottom out in mud it'll be the same thing but it does great in the dirt. I have a steep muddy, rocky hill that I have a hard time making with the 3 wheeler, the BR climes up it without even spinning in 2wd. So far other than the snow I have only had to lock the front dif once when I was going through a muddy stream where the front left tire hit the bank and it kind of teatered between it and the right rear tire. It climber right out of it once I did.

Like you I hate the belt idea. I plan on lots of slow turns around trees and such and I didn't want to be slipping the belt and dealing with replacing it all the time. It would be nice if first gear was lower, not a power problem, since I would rather not slip the transmission too much.