Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TDOGG NEEDS HELP QUICK

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TDOGG NEEDS HELP QUICK

I'm posting this for TDOGG.

I am in Colorado riding the Alpine Loop. My 2010 big red has a major power loss. I have been looking for some threads or post about high altitude mods. I have 2 more days to ride and is not fun when your ride wont perform. Do you know of any thing i can do? I cant remember how to post or start a new thread. Thanks, Tdogg (Trace).
    Stereo - YETI - Hardtop - Snorkel - Hour meter - Rearview Mirror - Viper Max 4000 Winch with remote on the front - Warn 4.0 CI on receiver for the rear - Extreme Metal Products battery tray ... next Motosport M-12 Wheels.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: TDOGG NEEDS HELP QUICK

77 views. Was anyone able to help him?
    Stereo - YETI - Hardtop - Snorkel - Hour meter - Rearview Mirror - Viper Max 4000 Winch with remote on the front - Warn 4.0 CI on receiver for the rear - Extreme Metal Products battery tray ... next Motosport M-12 Wheels.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do not know if this applys but when I moved from Ontario to BC my Honda was doing the same thing. I brought it into the shop and was told that the carburator was set for altitude and it was reset by them here and I had no problems after.

Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow, that is a bummer. All specs I find state the Big Red has always been Fuel Injected, not carbureted. I have not had mine at altitude or mountainous terrain. Is the BR stock? Have stock or big tires? Loaded down with gear? Many have noted hill-climb ability and acceleration loss with bigger tires. What other rides (SxS) are leading and not struggling?
    2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (pulling)
    2012 Olive Green Big Red

Kenda Executioner 26 x 12 x 12
    BenzSilentRiderMuffler
    HondaHard Top
    HondaAux Lights
    HondaWinch kit
    TTO Hourmeter
    Rigid Industries SRM -rear lighting (USA company)
    6 x 10 utility trailer

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I mentioned this in my post I was referring to my honda foreman not the big red

Bob

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is it getting a check engine light? does it shift?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I donno. He PMed the message to me on one of my pictures. Kinda strange he would do that.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK guys, I finally found time to get back on to the forum. To explain why I didn't post, i forgot how. I was on my i-phone which is a bit cumbersome. I was at the little lodge and hit their wifi. As i was looking to post for help. I thought I saw Big Olive on live and I thought I PM'ed him since he posts quite a bit. I don't post alot so i better brush up on my posting skills. Now for the Big Red issues. I have a 2010 with 26x11x14 Maxxis Big Horn tires on ITP wheels, 1/2 wind shield, SSV Works sound bar, Digital Speedo and a genuine factory hard top. I had a tool bad, spare tire and snack box in the bed. The machine is fuel injected. Air Filter was clean and no check engine light was on. I was riding with a Polaris XP 900. We were riding the Alpine Loop for the week. We climbed to over 13,000 feet. We saw snow in a few places in July. The view was awesome. The XP usually tops out at 65 mph. Big Red at 41 mph per the digital Speedo. The XP did loose some power at high altitudes but had low range to over come the HP loss. My Big Red got down to 2 or 3 mph climbing some hills. My wife was on board as well. We powered out and had to be pulled up a few hills. When we climbed the Continental Divide trail it powered out. I turned the machine around and climbed it in reverse to get to the top and the top speed was 2 mph after my wife bailed out and hiked the last 50 feet. It didn't cut out. The engine was smooth but no torque. I was under the impression that the fuel injected engines have O2 sensors and such and it kind of calibrates itself for altitude changes, etc. I was wrong. The Big Red will not make that trip again unless the dealer (or me) can make some changes to improve high altitude riding over 10,000 feet. Oh, the Big Red did run out at 40 mph on flat ground at 9500 feet on the road back to camp. If anyone knows of a mod that can be applied to the BR for high altitude riding please pass it on. Thanks for listening and in the mean time i will brush up on my posting skills. Thanks Big Olive for the help!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure there's much you can do. At that kind of altitude I'm surprised the XP didn't have more issues. It's not just air going into the engine that's an issue. The lack of air for the radiator is also a big issue. Racers on Pike's Peak will spray water onto the radiator to help what little air is there cool it.

Without doing a bunch of expensive mods you might be able to add an electric tunnel blower, like the kind used on a boat. It might add enough extra air to the engine for the steep hills. I would want a full size car battery though. The stock battery isn't going to last very long. If you have a snorkel you could add it in line.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome TDOGG!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In reference to the inline fan, I had a Polaris ranger one time that I did this to the intake on the drive belt. I found a marine restroom exhaust fan that I used. It was similar in size for intake and exhaust pipe size. This may help you in delivering more air to the BR.
    2012 BR Camo, 4500lb. Viper Winch,
    Hi-Flo Air Filter, Dual Batteries, Tool Box,
    Sway Bar Disconnected, Snorkeled, Honda Plastic Top, Gun Scabbard, 5 Panel Mirror, FMF PowerLine Exhaust.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have an idea. I know that on some of the older GM vehicles, the MAP sensor only calibrates 5 seconds after the engine is running. After that it doesn't recalibrate. So if you drove from a low altitude area to a high altitude area without shutting the engine off, it would still "think" it was running in a low altitude area. Don't hold me to this, but I think it could be a possiblilty, or at least help point you in a new direction.