Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear end squeal or squeak

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rear end squeal or squeak

OK, so I noticed a squeal in my rear axle at around 200 miles. I checked everything out and noticed my left hand outer cv boot was busted. I had been in some deep water and figured it was water logged. So I ordered a boot, and installed it. The noise is still there. I noticed when installing the boot that the brake pads were almost gone, so I ordered some and replaced them....noise is still there.

This noise sounds like scratching a chalk board with your fingernails only when the machine is rolling... If you brake, it does not change the tone or anything. Has anyone else had this problem???

ssr

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rear end squeal or squeak

sounds like what just happened to my br.busted a boot went thru some water and mud and it started making all kind of noise.got home tore it down and had busted the cage in the joint somehow.after i started pricing parts i decided to call my local dealer and see if i could get it coverd under warranty,well he called yesterday and said parts were on order and they would cover it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I pulled the joint down completley and cleaned everything out of there. There was just a little surface rust here and there, and I cleaned that all out too. Im still working on it now. It doesnt sound like a bearing. It sounds like a seal squeaking or something. I saw in the service manual that all the dust seals should be lubed. Im working on lubing them now. We will see....

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK, its finally fixed. It was the dust seals....everywhere. One on each side of every wheel bearing, and on each axle at the rear and front diffs. Most people would probably overlook this noise really easily. I worked as a tech at a ford dealership for almost ten years. I have headached over everyone elses minor squeaks and rattles that it has become a bit ocd for me on my personal items. Anyway, Im pretty sure the root cause was me and my pressure washer.
    The best way to hear this noise was to speed up to around 15mph, shift into neutral, and kill the engine and listen. It was pretty darn loud like that. Now all I can hear is the rubber hitting the road.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wait till the rubber bushings on the a-arms start squeeling. a grease fitting would have been nice.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, and with my track record there just might be a grease fitting there when it's all said and done. I like grease fittings....and drain plugs. I have drilled through three different torque converters while they were in the vehicles to install a drain plug!