Engine oil issues.....need advice please....
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine oil issues.....need advice please....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Engine oil issues.....need advice please....

Hello, new member here. Seems like you folks have a great forum for the Big Red.

I purchased mine new in '09, and other than a stator going bad right after the warranty went out, I have not had too many issues with it. However, I have begun to have to add oil between oil changes.....seems to use more than it should. It does not leak nor does it smoke any out the exhaust. But it will use a quart or two between oil changes. Another issue is that when I add oil, the oil seems to pour very slowly down the filler pipe, much slower than I recall it doing when the vehicle was new. It is as if the filler pipe is sort of stopped up or some such.

Due to the distance I have to drive, I have been using Valvoline ATV oil that meets all the Honda specifications....available locally.

Any suggestions as to oil consumption or as to why the oil flows so slowly into the engine when poured down the filler neck? Does anyone think I need to change brands of oil?

Any suggestions....especially those based on experience will be greatly appreciated.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Engine oil issues.....need advice please....

i have a 2012. i experience both the same issues. i wouldn't worry too much. it has good PCV in the airbox that i suspect might be the cause of the oil loss.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also have a 09 and the only problem I have also had is my stator going out, I have over 4000 miles on mine and I use Valvoline ATV 10w-40 oil also but I have no oil consumption at all. I live down south where we have warm weather and this oil works fine for me, as for why the oil travels slowly down the fill tube I have no clue why you have this problem unless it is due to the temperature of the day you are doing the oil change.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies. The last time I added oil, it was not an especially cold day. I live in East Texas, so we have more warm or hot weather than cold weather in a normal year. The oil goes so slowly down the filler tube it almost is like it is partially stopped up. I was worried that perhaps the Valvoline might be at fault. It runs and shifts fine. I have owned a number of the Honda ATVs over the years and never had one....even 12-15 year old ones, that used any measurable oil. So the Big Red using it was a concern to me.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

replacing rings on big red

I have dusted the rings on my big red and was wondering if the engine had to be removed or if i could just remove head and jug to replace rings?
    The foam filter and too long between service got me. Was wondering if a dry paper element replacement is available for big red? Thanks for any help

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see this is a late reply but I still have my 09 and it takes alot of oil. I don't understand what is going on as it has very clean exhaust.

My stator also failed and I had starters go out until I epoxied the field magnets into the last one. Did get some money from Honda to cover the parts later but it took some talking.