Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Big Red frame rust

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big Red frame rust

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a 2010 Big Red from a younger fella. Its in pretty good shape, usual scratches but no damage of underbelly or skidplates. There is no hourmeter but the tires are about 50%. I noticed more wear on driverside tires than passenger side. This would indicate travelling on blacktop with passengerside tires on gravel? It runs perfectly and shifts well, I dont think it was abused. I am in the process of doing a complete fluid change to include engine oil, diff. Oil, and coolant. When I was under machine doing oil change I noticed a considerable amount of rust and paint bubbling on the outer frame tubes under both doors and the lenth of the outer square tube rocker panel. Is this normal? The rest of the frame is relatively rust free. Would this correlate to rock damage off tires on gravel? I want to know if this is normal or if this thing has seen alot of salt.Do honda frames rust to a point or should I treat these areas. looking for info from owners for comparison thanx

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Big Red frame rust

is it bubble rust or just the powder coating separating?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has both types, bubbling on the underside of the lateral frame tubes under door and separation of paint all over underside of frame. Most of this is surface rust but the bubbling frame tubes are of concern. I may try a quality rust converter and topcoat before winter. I am going to plow with it and I need to seal this frame against further damage.how is your frame holding up? I know a 2012 should be in a little better shape but I have no reference point as to whether this is normal frame rust for a 2010. I love the machine, upgraded from mule 610, no comparison, I just want it to last many years with no rust issues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

without knowing the true history, my idea is this..... those tubes have no caps and will hold crud (bad design). if it was a northern utv and used for anything on the road during winter, you know there's gonna be problems with salt. if they are truly that bad, why not look into replacing them? just don't use rubber undercoating, that stuff holds in moisture. POR15 is a great rust converter, but is not going to fix the bubble rust. going to have to take a flap wheel to that and get it to bare metal.

just know, those bars are very important. since this thing is so heavy and wide, you are going to hit stuff with them. if they are rusted out, things can go bad quickly.

pics would help. also take a look, i can't remember if they bolt on or are welded on. if they bolt on, you are downtown and can just replace them or easily fabricate new ones.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The tubes are welded which complicates replacement without a lot of work. I went with a premium rust converter called blackstar which converts the rust and leaves a polymeric coating behind for protection. It seems to be working as advertised as the rust turned a blue black after a couple days. I will topcoat with a couple coats of oil based enamel and call it good. I will have to watch for future rust as time goes on. I have never understood why the japanese can engineer a superior machine in every way mechanically to anything out there but cannot figure out how to treat their steel to be rust resistant. This shows in the automotive world as well. My cousin has a 2002 ranger which has been driven up here thatshows very little rust.The honda is superior in every way except how the steel is treated. Very hard to understand their lack of quality control wnen it comes to metal coating.