Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ranger900
  • 1 Post By jmiraval

Thread: Looked at a new 1000 5

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looked at a new 1000 5

I have a 14 Teryx2. I put 3,000 miles on in the first year. The only thing I have done besides lubricants and filter is a fuel filter and check valves. Very reliable. Noisey drive train. 8" of not real good suspension. Hate the 50mph limiter. Only 55 hp. 160 mile max fuel range. I live and ride in NE NV. 1000s of miles of old two tracks. Most mountains than any state. I live at 5700' I ride at 10,000 much of the summer. I don’t do mud or sand or deep water. I am a 62 year old one legged guy that can't walk out.
    I felt the Pioneer had near zero storage. I felt the ergos for my long legs and prosthetic were no improvement over the Teryx. The real plus is the DCT. I have read some not so positive remarks on suspension. I'll take a bath on my Teryx and I don't know if the Pioneer is the answer? The new General ticks my ride, suspension, and handling boxes. I worry about engine reliability and belt life?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looked at a new 1000 5

"I am a 62 year old one legged guy that can't walk out. " I would stay away from anything polaris if thats the case.
    bigsnowman and Gabbiest like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranger900 View Post
    "I am a 62 year old one legged guy that can't walk out. " I would stay away from anything polaris if thats the case.
    Can you elaborate on Polaris reliability issues? I need to take a second look at the Pioneer 1000 EPS. I don't need to pay for the rear seats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My troubles started day 1. 1st belt broke 45 min after unloading while riding down the road . Had to replace spring in the secondary, my power steering is like flipping a coin, it works one time shut it off and it may not work when you restart. Had to replace the speed sensor twice now. Its currently down do to a reverse chain problem. I am looking at the pioneer 1000 now and hope to replace my polaris soon. It sucks cause i really enjoy my ranger When its not broke down but theres only so much a person can take before you realize its time to cut your losses and move on

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We had nothing but problems with the polaris-- and we bought two of them . 2012 and 2013. Thank god we had the extended warranty on one- motor went early. the other the wire harness ALWAYS had problems. if it was cutting out then four wheel drive wasn't working. --just junk. -both shift hard- sway bar arms are too thin We are not extreme riders- but we are hardcore and put MANY miles on. We knew better than to buy polaris but honda didnt have what we wanted at the time

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My teryx has been good. The belt change is difficult and I need to tear it down and inspect it and clean. It seems like if you go that far at 3500 miles, you may as well replace it. We'll see. I really don't like the 50 mph limiter. The suspension isn't great, but I'm afraid the Honda 1000 with std suspension won't be much better. The Teryx has massive waterproof storage. The Honda has almost none. The Honda seats on the standard are ok, but certainly not better than the Teryx. The main thing on the Honda is the DCT. I am also disappointed in a 7.9g tank. That's what the Teryx has too. I'd like at least 10g. The Teryx doesn't have quite enough power. The Honda has more and it is more effecient with the DCT.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ask anyone and its commonly agreed that honda resonates with reliability. but theyve always lacked in the power department. even now with a 1000 at 72hp they are 35+hp behind the leader. but there is no doubt that it will way outlast any mega powerplant from can-am or polaris. i help with most of the repairs on our group's bikes. i personally feel next to honda yamaha is most reliable. can-am really holds up but the drivetrain is always blowing up differentials. Kawies are a great all around engine, but have a well documented set of issues and related updates. polaris are a lot of power for the price, but they just don't seem to last without lots of wear.

bigsnowman likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The great group of guys that I have the privilege of hanging out with ride together both summer and winter. We all have different brand sleds, with all four factories represented, but all have Honda ATVs and I have a Pioneer. I'm sure I won't be the lone Pioneer for long The reason for all having Honda during the summer months is that we don't want to walk home and we've towed almost every other brand home at one time or another.

I bought a 700-2 the summer of 2014 and loved it. When the queen got wind that Honda was coming with a new 1000 and it had 5 seats.....(I never thought the family was going to take to the Pioneer the way they did) well it took 2 days to sell the 700. We picked up our 1000-5 last week and absolutely love it!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree on reliability. I love Yamaha. If they would put that 1000 triple in the Wolverine with low range, I'd be excited. However, the Honda is looking good and I'd really be excited to get away from a CVT belt and maintenance. The Honda motor looks to be a shim under for the valves under the cam and adjustable valves for the other side. Kind of a cool concept, but a bit more tricky to diy. I think the basic maintenance will be far easier than the Teryx and I may want an extended warranty to cover that DCT. We all carry RRS straps on our rides. "Razr Recovery Straps".

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BWfox ,Just to let you know i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 1000. After my first ride there was no looking back. This thing is amazing . Plenty of power and The tranny shifts smooth as quick . With the manual shift paddles and low range it covers whatever you might need. It feels pretty big and at 1700lbs i guess it is. I figure with all the tools i had to carry around on the polaris it comes out about even . I never had a teryx so i cant speak about how it would rate but the polaris is a forgotten memory around here already. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranger900 View Post
    BWfox ,Just to let you know i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 1000. After my first ride there was no looking back. This thing is amazing . Plenty of power and The tranny shifts smooth as quick . With the manual shift paddles and low range it covers whatever you might need. It feels pretty big and at 1700lbs i guess it is. I figure with all the tools i had to carry around on the polaris it comes out about even . I never had a teryx so i cant speak about how it would rate but the polaris is a forgotten memory around here already. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    I just can't deal with the legroom and 90* angle on my knee on my residual limb and prosthetic. . It is worse than my Teryx. I so wanted to like it. I'm still looking. I won't be having a DCT....