Honda Pioneer Forums banner

Pioneer 700-4

51K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  SSSOFFROAD 
#1 ·
#37 · (Edited)
Well, wether we like the Pioneer or not, by this fall, unless a sport model comes out or the BR is still available, our choices for a new machine may be limited to the Pioneer.
As I've stated, currantly all I have is a Honda Rubicon, which is great for my needs, but before next hunting season, I want to pick up a new SxS.
Still going with Honda, no matter what my choices are, just waiting to see what models are available.

#38 ·
BigRiver,

Are you saying BR will be gone and only the Pioneer model would remain? That seems shortsighted for Honda if true.

#41 ·
So I could still carry two 500 pd girls in the back and be ok.

#43 ·
Shade in the summer and warmth in the winter!

#46 ·
I've read discussions over on the Honda SxS forum that a sport model may be released this year. Part of the Pioneer family that's advertised on Honda's website.

Sure would be great to see a multiple cylinder engine in the 900 to 1000 CC range, to compete with the Polaris Rzr and the Kawasaki Teryx.

Despite what drive train comes out, I do think that Honda will address the sport model SxS.

#48 ·
The ideal situation would be for Honda to make the VTX 1300/1800 engine mount to are transmission. personally I would like to see the 1800cc version used it is a tried and proven reliable platform and should fit in "our" chassis somehow. 120 lb/ft of torque and 106 hp without a belt drive would rain immediate fire on ALL other makes parades. HONDA WE ARE WAITING!!!!

#49 ·
unfortunately there is no separating the trans from the engine as it is one unit much like all other honda atv engines. honda has always built their atv engines integrated with the transmission. with a single cylindar design that configuration works fine, but when you start doing a v-type design that changes. they could do like polaris and that should work.... but like i said before its not just changing out the powerplant. they would have to design a completely different engine. it would be pretty frikken cool to have that much power, but unfortunately thats just not the honda way of thinking.

#50 ·
Went to my local Honda dealer inquiring about the Pioneer. He looked up on his scheduling database and showed me that they can be ordered as early as June 1. Coincidentally, May is the last month that the Big Red can be ordered.

Not sure if it's just his dealership, or nationwide, but it looks like the transition will soon begin.

#53 ·
Yup my local dealer. The Pioneer 700 should be available in June. There may be a large engine utility model with an optional onboard generator. 1000 watt to a 3000 watt. I did a survey on the generator but don't see much of a market for it. It takes 3 to make a family so I expect at least 3 models for 2014 and more like 5 or 6 would make Honda more competitive.

#54 ·
it would be nice for Honda to do a larger engine, just don't see it happening. honda is known for under-powering things so its just not their style. if i ever grenade my engine, think i might put one of those 1000 rotax engines in it. now that would be nasty.... but still a belt drive.

#56 ·
it would be nice for Honda to do a larger engine, just don't see it happening. honda is known for under-powering things so its just not their style.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. For years Honda has competed in the super bike category, even in the touring class, the Gold Wing is a 1832 CC powered bike.

Bob, I tend to agree with your premise of Honda developing multiple models in the Pioneer family. Just consider how many models are available in the ATV class.

I'm looking forward to future announcements and arrivals, it makes sense to me in this market.

#55 ·
A family is at least 3 and they already have a Pioneer 700. I expect a Pioneer 800 or 900 announced this month. It's going to be easy to Get Happy if that happens. Honda knows they need at least 3 utility models and a 50" sport model plus a larger sport model to compete with the other manufactures.

#57 ·
issue is that they would need a total redesign and a completely new engine. they have pushed the single cylinder about as far as it can go. from this point they would need a v-twin and a separate trans/gearbox.

trust me, if they came out with a shaft drive belt-less 60+ HP model of the pioneer... the next day my big red would be up for sale. but it's just not in the cards.

remember that an atv engine is a lot different than a bike engine. but we will see what happens. i could only hope they have something bigger better faster. heck if it was built on the pioneer platform and they actually came out with a bigger powerplant, then it should bolt right in?

#58 ·
fellas look at Honda's street bike website, two 250's built on the same engine, three 500's same engine and frame, two 700's. Streamlined production, multiple models, same production line. I'm putting my money on a two seat version with the Rancher engine/dual clutch transmission to compete with Kawasaki's mule 610 and Polaris 400/500. I don't see a vtwin in our future; maybe a parallel twin with the crank running lengthwise like Honda uses now. Polaris is successful with them.

#59 ·
as long as it has "dry" storage....Honda BR lacks in this department. Heck, our 3 wheeled BR has dry storage!

#64 ·
I went to my local dealer a couple of days ago and they are telling me late June early July. I am #1 on the list for a Pioneer 700-4. I really love my Big Red but the seating of the Pioneer is better suited for us. We more often than not would like to take friends and family with us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.