Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer 700-4

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pioneer 700-4

Check out the all new Honda Pioneer 4 seat model.

2014 Pioneer Overview - Honda Powersports

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Pioneer 700-4

awesome cant wait to see one in action

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Honda Pioneer 700-4 seat

It uses the 675cc engine. I expect the airfilter is under the hood and the engine is turned around or the cylinder head is turned 180. The front and rear drive shaft splines are the same on the Big Red. The Rincon uses a smaller front drive shaft spline. The improved suspension with 2 inches more travel and a longer wheelbase will make a much improved ride. Top speed should be about the same as the Big Red at 40 mph. Honda says Pioneer Family so there may be more models this year. Sure hope they have a Sport Model.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good looking machine, make you want to upgrade!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was hoping for something new to come out, hope that the engineers addressed the maintenance accessibility issues as well.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh. Front looks a lot like a Ranger. I was expecting something different. Not sure what, just different than what is shown.

Edit-just read that this is replacing the BR, not in addition to and sold along side the BR. Thats going to be a mistake IMO.
    Last edited by spd556; 02-14-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Pioneer is greatly improved and will do everything better then the Big Red. By using the same engine and drive train the price should be nearly the same. The suspension is 2 inches more and with the longer wheelbase the ride will be way better especially at speed in the rough stuff. Also the speedo is standard now.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hondabob View Post
    The Pioneer is greatly improved and will do everything better then the Big Red. By using the same engine and drive train the price should be nearly the same. The suspension is 2 inches more and with the longer wheelbase the ride will be way better especially at speed in the rough stuff. Also the speedo is standard now.
    Bob, I hope that you're right about the speedo, are you referring the the entire digital dash?
    I'm guessing that the price will have to more than the BR, look at the parts entailed in the rear bed/seats.
    I'll definitely wait to see this one before buying the BR, also, it'd be cool to see other models in the Pioneer Family as you mentioned.

Bob, I found this video on youtube, it does answer my dash question.
    Last edited by BigRiver; 02-15-2013 at 6:26 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally I am not that impressed. I think I perfer what I have.

Bob

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Below are some tidbits of information from another website that further describes some differences between the BR and the Pioneer.
    Here's the link to the site:
    2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 Four Seater Side-x-Side Review | ATV Illustrated

This is some of what you can read and things that I personally found interesting.

Modern Day Pioneer

Honda protects their secrets as well and anybody but there is quite a bit we can glean about the new Pioneer 700-4 just by looking at the photos and glancing through the specifications.

Styling: Honda scrapped the rounded, bulbous look of the Big Red MUV in favor of a much more edgy, muscular styling on the new Pioneer 700-4. It looks tough and ready for action! There also appears to be a large storage bin under the front hood which can be removed with two quarter turn fasteners, not unlike some Polaris models. The Big Red needed more storage; the PIONEER delivers. We also like the swept lines that flow from front panels, through the doors, and continue through the rear box. It gives a nice, uniform look to the entire bodywork and we know the Honda plastic will hold up. We praised Deere for this approach to styling on their Gator RSX, and Honda was apparently working on the same “whole package” styling principal at the same time. Nice job! At the front they gave the Pioneer real protection with a serious, dual tubing steel bumper.

A tough, composite rear dump box makes the Pioneer capable of hauling practically anything you can pile in it.

Chassis: The Pioneer 700-4 uses a new, slightly longer chassis than the Big Red, but Honda clearly wanted to improve the ride and suspension capability as well. Longer A-arms are used at both ends, and suspension wheel travel and ground clearance is increased. New tires and wheels are found at both ends as well. We also believe the suspension will feature five-way, preload adjustable shocks, especially at the rear which must accommodate widely varying loads. Honda did include a 2” receiver hitch at the rear, and towing capacity is listed at 1500 pounds.

Engine: Honda has equipped the Rincon ATV and the Bid Red MUV with a super reliable, fuel injected, 675cc 4-stroke engine, and the Pioneer will share that engine platform as well, although it will be updated for the loads and performance characteristics of the Pioneer. A large capacity radiator is tucked up under the front hood for protection. Mated to the engine will be Hondas unique, three speed automatic transmission. Rather than CVT belts, the Pioneer transmission operates with fluid and gears, and by filtering the engine oil multiple times no other fluids are needed. An added benefit on the trail is consistent engine braking. Gear selection is Forward, Neutral, or Reverse.

Interior: Bench seating is used in the front cab area of the Pioneer with three point seat belts for two. We like the new, higher dash, and to the left of the steering wheel is the parking brake lever. This makes it extremely handy when hopping in or out. The shift lever will also be located on the dash, but one thing we’re really happy to see is the Pioneer appears to come with a glove box cover as a standard feature and not as an accessory it was on the Big Red. Side nets are designed to keep everything inside the vehicle, but Honda also makes it possible to roll them out of the way.
    Last edited by BigRiver; 02-17-2013 at 5:14 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the issues that I had with the latest version of the BR was that the parking brake projected out towards where your calf and boots were, I'm glad to see that they moved it onto the dash to accommodate people or a rifle better.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see we have a ton of viewers of this thread.....no other opinions?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

generally meh and not impressed. Only hope I have is that suspension parts might be a direct swap onto the BR. It seems Honda is playing to the Polaris or recreational crowd. If it puts more people in a Honda, that's fine by me. However, I don't think 4 available seats and suspension, cosmetics are enough to sway me. I love my BR. The Pioneer back seats look cramped for anything but kiddo's and I did not hear any mention of Power Steering (stock or optional). Time will tell, but I would be sad to see the Big Red no longer offered by Honda.
    2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (pulling)
    2012 Olive Green Big Red

Kenda Executioner 26 x 12 x 12
    BenzSilentRiderMuffler
    HondaHard Top
    HondaAux Lights
    HondaWinch kit
    TTO Hourmeter
    Rigid Industries SRM -rear lighting (USA company)
    6 x 10 utility trailer

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess what boggles my mind is why not both models? Consumers want options. The two machines don't seem to fill the same market niche. In regards to doing "everything" better than the BR, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Just from the images, unless that rear roll bar is easily removed, bed access will not be better than the BR.

And what irritates me about the reported demise of the BR is any further hopes of increased aftermarket support will be gone. The thing looks too much like a fuggly Ranger, too. I happen to like the current BRs looks.
    Last edited by spd556; 02-19-2013 at 4:22 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spd556 View Post
    I guess what boggles my mind is why not both models? Consumers want options. The two machines don't seem to fill the same market niche.

And what irritates me about the reported demise of the BR is any further hopes of increased aftermarket support will be gone.
    I want to think that there's more to come.

Yes, it seems, the Big Red, as it exists will be discontinued. But as Bob has mentioned, and as you can see on their web site..
    2014 Pioneer Overview - Honda Powersports

..."For more updates on our Pioneer Family"....

I think that other models or model will follow. We'll just have to wait till this summer.

As for the usability of the folding rear seats, I personally wouldn't use them that often. But on the other hand if one of my buddies that I hunt with wants to either walk or ride in the seat...bet he takes the seat.
    One down side is some crud or blood may find it's way down thru the cracks to the rear seats, just gonna have to put a mat down or rinse it often.

Either way, that's what is being offered by Honda. It's going to be Honda or a (*gag*) belt system.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Honda would just use the 1100 shadow engine and add a gear to the BR's tranny and then some after market company make a long travel option the BR would be at the top of the SxS food chain...it being wider and bigger overall makes it a more stable platform than the rest and we all know when it comes to pulling weight the "others" were already inferior...The BR works they just need a few things and they could call it the KING RED. Also if they would deal with the power issue the way I think they should they could add an entire second row of seating and keep the bed and not lose any storage space and very little on the performance side. HONDA I hope you read these comments!!!! As for the Pioneer...I am not impressed at all...as a matter of fact disapointed would be a better way to put it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like what I have... I love my red... For what I do it's my perfect ride.... I have put 2000 miles on it and have had zero major issues... I cant see the justification of spending money on a new one.
    2011 Big Red and I love it!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunz82 View Post
    I like what I have... I love my red... For what I do it's my perfect ride.... I have put 2000 miles on it and have had zero major issues... I cant see the justification of spending money on a new one.
    Can't say that I blame you, you have what you have.

In my particular case, I have neither, but would like to buy a SxS this summer.
    For me, it's a choice of one or the other.

And, ya never know, other models may show up by then in the "Pioneer Family"
    as the announcement implied.
    Last edited by BigRiver; 02-21-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiver View Post
    And, ya never know, other models may show up by then in the "Pioneer Family" as the announcement implied.
    That just doesn't fit Honda's business model. They just don't release new model lines all at once. If they were to, why would they get ride of the Big Red?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Big Red has short travel suspension and other issues. Probably the biggest reason for dropping the Big Red is the Pioneer will do everything better for the same price. By using the same drive train the cost should be about the same. Honda knows the RZR sales are great and a sport model should be next and hopefully for this year. The dealers want a 50 inch sport model and a larger one too. The Arctic Cat Wildcat 50 inch model will be announced next week.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

honda pioneer 700 4 forum

honda pioneer 700 top speed

honda pioneer 700-4 forum
honda pioneer 700-4 problems
honda pioneer problems
pioneer 700 4 problems
pioneer 700 forum
pioneer 700-4
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.