Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldtrucks

Thread: Transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Transmission

Hi all. New here. I introduced myself in the new members area. Ive been out of the offroad toy thing for 10 years or so. owned all the 4 Japanese brands at one time or another with honda being my favorite do to the rock solid reliability. That being said, the transmission in the pioneer concerns me a great deal. From what i understand its a rincon motor and transmission and those were known for issues of slipping and not shifting due to O ring failures inside the transmission. Also i was not warm and fuzzy about the transmission using the motor oil for its lube. Do they still build it like that? Have they fixed the transmission issues that the rincon had or has? Even the CR250F and 450F dirt bikes have seperate oil in their transmissions now, and they aren't auto transmissions. I want a Honda so i know i can make it back home but if the transmission issues still plague this powertrain set up im not sure i will get one. Im not a big fan of the belt drives that everyone else makes but at least you can throw a new one on in the trails if need be. Anyone know of transmission issues still happening with the Rincon / Big Red / Pioneer vehicles? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Transmission

Welcome rcgasserman.
    I was the owner of a Big Red and now the new Pioneer 700-4. In reguards to your transmission question, the only issue I ever had with the transmission was in the winter when it got pretty cold it was slow to shift into 3rd untill it warmed up. The "fix" was 0 W 40 synthetic oil. I still warmed it up for about 5 min in cold weather but no more issues after the synthetic oil change. That was a no brainer for me because I use it in all my vehicles. I use mobil one and have for many years. We put 350 hours on the Big Red and already have over 50 hours on the Pioneer. I have no issues with the drive train in these vehicles and would recommend them to anyone.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
    Welcome rcgasserman.
    I was the owner of a Big Red and now the new Pioneer 700-4. In reguards to your transmission question, the only issue I ever had with the transmission was in the winter when it got pretty cold it was slow to shift into 3rd untill it warmed up. The "fix" was 0 W 40 synthetic oil. I still warmed it up for about 5 min in cold weather but no more issues after the synthetic oil change. That was a no brainer for me because I use it in all my vehicles. I use mobil one and have for many years. We put 350 hours on the Big Red and already have over 50 hours on the Pioneer. I have no issues with the drive train in these vehicles and would recommend them to anyone.
    Good to hear that you have not had any issues. The synthetic oil makes sense. Ive been running it in everything i own since the early 90's. Amsoil is my oil of choice for the last few years. Synthetics flow so much better in the cold. Hopefully more people can chime in. Some current or previous Rincon owners would be nice as well.

Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

rcgasserman...oldtrucks didn't tell you we live in the mountains in northern Idaho and if there is a cold step climate that will test a tranny we are for sure in it. I have a 2009 BR with over 4000 miles on it and have never had a trans issue....not one. I to suggest the Mobil 1 0-40 and these BR's & Pioneers do like a bit of a warm up even on warmer days not that it won't shift but to make sure it does everytime a slight warm up never hurts any vehicle. As for reliabilty I don't think any of the "others" can say in 4000 miles the only things they have had to do is fix a CV boot....I change the oil & filter put fuel in and drive it like I stole it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I almost forgot to add that some of the inclines I go up fairly regular will have me doing 5 - 10 mph with two people and gear and everytime I do I think to myself "If I had one of the "others" I know I'd be smelling the rubber band burning by now" and I have been waiting for mine to just stop or slip even but nothing so far. Some of my other friends up here named my BR the "goat" because of where we have had it. Had it hung off a cliff this summer with only the passenger side two wheels on the trail was happy to have real 4 wheel diff lock that day or it would have been another 4 hours back the other way around the mountains....three guys and ropes hung me off the glorified cliff from the side and I was winched to two atv's from the front we inched it accross about 80ft and that was when it got named the "goat". We had to hang guys off the atv's as well it was STEP.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's a couple of pictures of the country Montuckymonkey and I run around in.

BIGRED11 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by montuckymonkey View Post
    rcgasserman...oldtrucks didn't tell you we live in the mountains in northern Idaho and if there is a cold step climate that will test a tranny we are for sure in it. I have a 2009 BR with over 4000 miles on it and have never had a trans issue....not one. I to suggest the Mobil 1 0-40 and these BR's & Pioneers do like a bit of a warm up even on warmer days not that it won't shift but to make sure it does everytime a slight warm up never hurts any vehicle. As for reliabilty I don't think any of the "others" can say in 4000 miles the only things they have had to do is fix a CV boot....I change the oil & filter put fuel in and drive it like I stole it.
    Hi montucky, 4000 miles is impressive and the type of terrain you are driving in shows me my worries are unwarrented. You have set my mind at ease. I have done more digging since my first post and found that the the early Rincon quads, where the trans made its debut, had an o ring defect due to a supplier mess up. Honda fixed them all even if out of warrantee. Cant beat that.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is the video from the day the BR got named the "goat" the first road blow out we hit is at 11:18

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool looks like the same type of country here.is that a helmet cam? Also I see there is a full moon out LOL.
    Last edited by JungleCat; 11-04-2013 at 6:21 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually the camera is a clip on/hand held one my friend has...and yes after a few cold ones the moon always comes out I think...lol

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by montuckymonkey View Post
    Actually the camera is a clip on/hand held one my friend has...and yes after a few cold ones the moon always comes out I think...lol
    Sure is nice a nice part of the country to ride in. Excellent views. I'm a bi envious.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what interests me is that the pioneer has same engine transmission but with different CDI/ electronic box. the pioneer has 2 shift modes and big red just 1. the pioneer will short shift and make the ride smoother at low speeds when your cruising and if your matting throttle it shifts later, like big red. That new cdi box is only $200 vs. big reds box at $800. the plug in is the same with exception of pioneer having more wires. if you could buy that $200 box and make big red shift earlier it would be great. anyone tried that? i researched it, but have not heard of anyone trying

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clintferrell View Post
    what interests me is that the pioneer has same engine transmission but with different CDI/ electronic box. the pioneer has 2 shift modes and big red just 1. the pioneer will short shift and make the ride smoother at low speeds when your cruising and if your matting throttle it shifts later, like big red. That new cdi box is only $200 vs. big reds box at $800. the plug in is the same with exception of pioneer having more wires. if you could buy that $200 box and make big red shift earlier it would be great. anyone tried that? i researched it, but have not heard of anyone trying
    I have wondered if the Rincon box can be used which would eliminate the speed limiter.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

monkey that's looked like an awesome adventure, thanks for sharing

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ive put 2700 miles on my BR in 1.5 years and have had no problems whatsoever....i change the oil every 700 miles with honda gn4 oil and filter....only complaint i wish it had more ground clearance , which i am about to fix with a lift and wish it had a bit taller tire that im about to fix also.....
    this thing is pretty tough as all the hondas ive had in the past were....i forsee this BR lasting a long time

Z15

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a 2006 Rincon 680 (new March 06) and have never had any transmission shifting issues in over 3,000 miles. I use 100% AMSOIL 0W-40 Synthetic Oil and Wix oil filters, since 20 miles. Only had 1 problem with this Rincon and that was a bad left front wheel bearing.
    Mike
    2006 Rincon 680
    2012 GMC Sierra Denali AWD 6.2L

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone think the Pioneer 700 will get the Pioneer 500's five speed transmission.