Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2017 Pioneer 700 Loss of Power

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2017 Pioneer 700 Loss of Power

I have a 2017 Pioneer with low hours (about 300); its been running great - (my main workhorse on the farm) until recently when the machine tops out like the seatbelt switch is engaged. I checked the seatbelt connection and the wiring and even installed a seatbelt override plug, but still experiencing the same issue. The dash lights up correctly indicating when the seatbelt is engaged or disengaged.

The behavior is as follows. The machine starts and runs normal until you begin to rev and go over 10-14mph - then no power. It's to the point where the machine will not upshift traveling on an incline, but will when going downhill, but still bogs down @15mph or so.

I changed plugs, air filter, and pulled the spark arrestor off the exhaust - same problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2017 Pioneer 700 Loss of Power

have been watching your post,hoping someone would answer as I'm having same problem with 2016 with 645 miles.have checked spark arrestor, muffler,valves& cam,spark plugs & fuel injector.no luck.I guess next step is take it to honda dealer 50 miles away.if you find fix please post &I will do same.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mole View Post
    have been watching your post,hoping someone would answer as I'm having same problem with 2016 with 645 miles.have checked spark arrestor, muffler,valves& cam,spark plugs & fuel injector.no luck.I guess next step is take it to honda dealer 50 miles away.if you find fix please post &I will do same.

I finally caved and brought it to the dealer - Mine turned out to be the cam- at least that's what the Honda mechanic says. They claim they have done a 1/2 dozen or so in the last couple years and showed me some invoices to prove it. about a $600 repair in my neck of the woods.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

appreciate quick reply.I'm on 3 different forums & your the only one to answer.mine has 645 mi ,starts, runs great with same amount of its had since new.Problem doesnt start till you push gas down past half way,then all power just goes away. checked everything you have,guess I'm also gonna have take to honda dealer which is almost 50 mi.away as dealer I purchased from went out of business. Good luck,let me know how & if you got problem solved.I'll do same.Kinda what these forums should be all about.thanks
    Last edited by mole; 06-06-2019 at 9:00 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No problem. Mine was exhibiting the very same symptoms. The dealer closest to me about 40mi wouldn't even schedule me for a service call because I didn't buy it from them- not good business practices in my book. Anyway, ended up taking it to a dealer about 60mi away- they listened to it and told me it was the cam right away and backed it up like I said with work they have done for other customers. Got it back yesterday, good as new - but a $600 repair as I mentioned earlier. Good Luck.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

earliest appointment they could give me is 6-20-19 so I guess i'll find out then.seems cam problem is happening fairly often.honda needs to step up & pay for repair.reason I wish my dealer was still in business. maybe they could go to bat for me with honda.I find out anything ,I'll post

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have the same problem....it seems that my air cleaner is sucking oil also? going down hill it pops and sputters...i've changed the pump/fuel filter, jumped the diagnostic wires adn only have an "engine" light continuously on for a MIL indicator, nothing else....new air filter and plugs did nothing either....going to pull my oil breather line since I'm getting oil it seesm on my air filter...I've run it for a short run without the filter on wet ground, no dust, and nothing better....

wondering if im sucking oil with something wrong on the evaporator and i have a clogged fuel injector? I am doing it next, gonna clean it....

I'm bush alaska, NO ROADS...just a barge ride out...a month at least of down time...what a waste, my first honda...sucks...

anyways, mine idles great...

last question...I run ONLY mobile one full synthetic ...5/w/30 since we run down to 10 degrees and usually, I'm not over 70 degrees in the summer....I've seen the debate, but, cann't imagine a cam flattening out , etc over a good oil like mobile....

gonna check the sensors, it seems that there is a limiting/limp mode if you read careful...it can be over the trans system, or the elect, etc...you gotta check out all the codes in the service manual....arrrgggg.....

anyone here got any more ideas....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

mines been in shop for a week,seems there trying,but still haven't figured out what's wrong.service manager says next step is to get honda tech support involved.After reading many different sxs forums,many seem to be having exact same problem.Honda it's time for you to step up &fix this problem.I've had 8 Hondas & never had a problem this frustrating.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it may not be this for yours but, the Honda shop i took mine too was telling me that this problem is pervasive - sounded like some kind of factory defect (unfortunately out of warranty for me). Anyway, like i mentioned in the earlier post they showed me 4-5 repair tickets over the last year with this same camshaft issue.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just got word,camshafts worn.with 645 miles,first service done by dealer & other oil changes done as soon as required, never ranhard, used for property maintance you wouldn't expect this from a honda.Dealers going to see if Honda will help out at all

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine has only 400 hours on it and less miles and we only use it to run water and hay on the farm - never run hard either- unacceptable. Let me know how you make out with Honda Corporate.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

finally got pioneer back,it was cam.bill was 778.09.still waiting to see if Honda going to do anything.service manager says his opinion was some cams weren't properly hardened.hopefully won't be doing another cam replacement after another 600 miles.The reason I bought Honda Pioneer was to avoid problems like this.hard to think of Hondas as "bullet proof" with these kind of issues.