Adventure-touring
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Adventure-touring

phobiaphobe

Adventure-touring

Just finished watching my Long Way Round DVDs last night.

I challenge others here to watch that series and NOT want a 1200GS, broken subframes or not.

I'm starting to like the "2-wheeled SUV" idea. There are so many dirt roads out here that I would love to try on a GS or Adventure... especially the new 990 fuellie.

Anyone else into that type of thing? G-force I know you've got a GS... have you had it off road much?

I've got a hard-on for the K1200s, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'd have more fun with a GS.

phobiaphobe

Re: Adventure-touring

Cool article here.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not alot, maybe 100 mile off road. Having owned and ridden dirt and duel sport bikes most of my life, the GS is disapointing as a dirt bike, but thats to be expected. Its a tradeoff because mot dual sport bikes are usless on the freeway. With the exception of really sandy or loose terrain, its does remarkably well for a 550 pound pig. If you want to do more dirt orianted adventure riding, a KLR650, DR650, or even the KTMs would be a better choice. If you want to pound out some freeway miles in addition to light to medium duty dirt work, the GS or V Stroms are better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

phobiaphobe

There are about a billion roads that I'd love to try. I like the idea of riding out to the mountains, setting up camp and using the same bike to piss around on the trails during the weekend.... as opposed to trailering out dirtbikes. I'm thinking the KTM would be ideal.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactaly. Thats what I love about it. Versatility.
    Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 12-28-2006 at 1:24 AM.

DUX

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
    Just finished watching my Long Way Round DVDs last night.

I challenge others here to watch that series and NOT want a 1200GS, broken subframes or not.

I'm starting to like the "2-wheeled SUV" idea. There are so many dirt roads out here that I would love to try on a GS or Adventure... especially the new 990 fuellie.

I've got a hard-on for the K1200s, but now I'm starting to wonder if I'd have more fun with a GS.
    I've got two episodes left. Great series.

I wanted a 1200GS last year and decided not to go for it after a test-ride.

After watching the movie and with the release of the 1200GSA, I want one in the worst way again!

It would be cool to have an "all weather" bike to ride back and forth to work. The nice thing is that those bikes are supposed to be dirty.

Someday I'll do a mega-trip around North America on one.

I've heard of people buying a BMW car at their local dealer and picking it up at the factory in Germany. Anyone up for a group buy on the 1200, picking up in Germany and touring for a week or two?

DUX

The wife and I just spent all day Saturday watching the last few episodes.

It's a good thing that the nearest BMW dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away.

CBRVFR

We're watching it, on the last DVD now. I can't imagine why he didn't take a 650 instead.

DUX

Quote Originally Posted by CBRVFR
    We're watching it, on the last DVD now. I can't imagine why he didn't take a 650 instead.
    The 650's would have been a heck of a lot easier to ride in the bad stuff, but I don't think I'd want to do thousands of miles on pavement with one. Besides, the 1150's couldn't even handle all the gear that they took with them.