Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Popped my dirt cherry

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Popped my dirt cherry

So I went up to a buddy's house to do some off road trail riding behind his house. I've only rode a few dirt bikes up and down a local street, but I have never been on actual dirt before.

This guy made a kick ass dirt track behind his house for his 15,9 and 7 year old sons and daughter. (and himself too I think)

I was gonna play around with an XR450 but it was suggested I try an XR200 just to "get a feel." I didnt even consider another bike for the rest of the day. I slid around on the muddy track for a good part of the morning. I fell of the damn bike twice in the first hour, which is more than I've ever fallen from a motorcycle since I started riding 8 years ago.

After lunch we galavanted deep into adjacent property. Crossed a bootleg wooden bridge, into muddier trails, past some very technical rocks and/or streams and a scary hill climb. We got to a huge field where I got a few rooster tailed chunks of mud in my face as the more experienced riders wizzed by me.... mostly on one wheel. Off to some more trails and looped around. It was my first time so I am not sure how to rate the trails, but there were about 7 other bikes (assorted crf's230/250,dr650's, a klx 125, a couple of 2 smokers and a husky 450) that were having a blast and go there often.

We bumped into a father and son both on ATV's.... the son was about 5 years old on this little 50cc raptor, blasting through mud puddles and sliding out his rear. He was even catching some mini-air from one of the little jumps. He even wiped out and tried to jump back on to ride his atv while it was still tipped over. The kid was too cute and had no fear..... But all I could think about was one thing.........My parents fricken deprived me as a child. I will break the cycle (of deprivation that is) and will force my parents to buy my kids an atv!

I thought I did a pretty good job keeping up with the big boys considering my bike size, my experience and the fact that I had almost no front brake. I fell a whole bunch of times, trying to master the same muddy spot/jump and only have a bruised shin to show for it.

Needless to say, I am now in the market for an xr450 (or something in that range) and will definitely be needing some closeout mx gear as my jeans and boots are SHOT!

-jh
    Proud supporter of mud

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Popped my dirt cherry

Sounds good! I had a dirtbike as a kid, and had the XR400 a couple of years ago and they're a lot of fun if you have good places to ride.

If you're interested in mostly trail riding, you may want to go with the CRF250X instead. The 450 will be a beast.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConqSoft View Post
    Sounds good! I had a dirtbike as a kid, and had the XR400 a couple of years ago and they're a lot of fun if you have good places to ride.

If you're interested in mostly trail riding, you may want to go with the CRF250X instead. The 450 will be a beast.

Really? The xr200 too small(low)for my taste. Fun to learn on but when I wanted to stand up for some parts it was uncomfortable because I was crouching down at the same time. I suppose different handlebars would fix that? I had a hell of alot more mud and water in my boots than the others because the bike was so low.The 200 wouldnt wheelie for me(I am 6' 265lbs)... although I wasn't trying too hard with all the slippery mud.

On concrete I've had the 400 would go up effortlessly and with some practice I should be able to wheelie through those huge puddles also. I can deal with the mud but some of those puddles were COLD!

I dont want any overkill with engine power in the dirt but I'm no lightweight and it would have to be streetable in the concrete jungle too.

Would you still suggest a CRF 250x? Could I get a baja kit for any bike?

-jh

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, the CRF205X is a completely different animal than the XR200, but I guess there's no way to know for sure unless you were able to take a ride on one.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is nothing like open property for riding off road. We have a bunch of tracks down here, but nothing open and definitely not much elevation change.

I have had some nice get-offs in the dirt.

If you are doing street/dirt then the 450 (or even open desert stuff), but single track trail riding I would stay with the 250. Much easier to avoid the trees.

Quick 26

o how dirt can be fun.

rangerman

I would go with a xr600/650, way better than the xr200/250 or the xr450. I have never ridden a xr450 but I have ridden my xr250 and my bros xr600 is a beast. You have lots of power in any gear, and I don't think weight is too much of a problem for then. My bro is 6'2" 210lbs and I am 6'1" and 195lbs, and it feels like an absolute beast, plus they are about the same price