CRF250x or CRF450x ?? (I need your help)
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CRF250x or CRF450x ?? (I need your help)

Hondasthebest

CRF250x or CRF450x ?? (I need your help)

I am planing to buy a new crf x but am not sure what will suit me the best.
    I am about 5'6 or 5'7, about 140-145lbs.. trail, desert, fire-road type riding is what Im planing on doing, not too much of any sand and no motocross tracks,
    Anybody with some advice? Anyone know the aproximent top speed for both?
    Also I might add the required stuff to make it street legal/ just so I can ride to the riding spots, what is your take on that?
    I hear a lot about the 450x being more tiresome to ride even though its only 20 (?) extra pounds.. One of my concerns is after a few years the 250 being too slow, or not fast enough for a dualsport conversion.
    Keep in mind Im talking about too slow for the straight aways only, other than that it seems the 250x would be better? Any advice would be great, Thank you.

djice929

Re: CRF250x or CRF450x ?? (I need your help)

One of my friends has a 450x and has commented on how heavy it is on the trail. He said he should have bought the R model instead. Ive road the R model, but just blasting around my friends orchard. It slid well and had an awesome powerband. Ive also road the crf230, and that thing was a dog. If the 250 is anything like the 230, I would pass on it. I would ask on some of the dirtbike forums also, like Dirt Bikes - Motocross - Supercross - Dirtbikes and Dirt Bike Racing : Dirt Rider . Net , Since 1999 and ThumperTalk . It also depends on where you ride and your skill level. If this is going to be your first dirtbike, I would buy a used one, as its going to take a beating and be crashed often. If you don't crash once in awhile, your not riding hard enough.

Try and ride a few of your friends bikes if you can too. Im more of an ATV rider. Also, make sure you make it to Hollister Hills, the most awesome offroad park in CA! When I die, I want to be buried there with my atv lol.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've ridden a 250r and a 450 and the 250 is about as much bike as anyone could need. The 450 is just an animal and if you don't have much dirt experience, it's going to be scary. If you buy a 250 and find it to be slow after a bit, do a gear swap and go from there.

I've got a 230 and it's no comparison to the 250 by far!
    The 230 is the largest bike allowed on the local pit bike track and it's a blast even though the suspension is weak, it's a fun play bike. I sold my CR250 to get the 230 and I've never had more fun in the dirt than on the smaller bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both the 250 and 450 also require a lot of maintenance - think oil changes every few rides, valve adjustments and cleaning / replacing the air filter every ride depending on conditions.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you'd be fine based on how much you weigh. I have had a blast on all the 200's and 250's I've ridden and I weigh 260 lbs. As I get more comfortable off road, I am starting to see where a 400/450 would be more suitable for the power to rider/bike weight ratio.

-jh