Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wind Sheilds

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wind Sheilds

Hi.
    I am a new Big Red owner (2 months). I bought her a hard top a speed and hour meter and an under hood storage box. So far I love her. (Except she doesn't start in cold weather too well.)

I am contemplating a wind shield. I have ridden in a polaris UTV with a half wind shield. The owner blocked it up about 7 inches as it was too low and was blowing wind right in his face. The new height was perfect, you could see above it yet no wind in the face. I like the idea of the half wind shield as you still feel like you are outdoors, and don't have the frost issue.

How are the Big Red half Wind shields?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wind Sheilds

I have the Honda 3/4 flip-out, 1/4 fixed position windshield. Overall I am satisfied. Air flow is marginally good when it is opened. It is very easy to completely remove the top 3/4 section for hot days. It travels well on the trailer (no worries about wind blowing it out, even at 65 mph). I have found no combination however where it helps solve the dust problem.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Olivercrossbones

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too have the Honda two peice winsheild. My opinon save the money and go with a one peice.

* Air flow is minimal through the split when opened.
    * More air flow between the hood and windsheild on both sides with the two peice.
    * Rattling of the two peices design of the windsheild is enough to drive someone crazy

Just my 2 cents.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the two piece also and it is just as tbear stated, alot of noise but the worst thing I can fine about the windshield is the dust that will come with it when you install it. Get ready to be dusted out when you go down a dusty dirt road.
    2010 Honda Big Red, 14" 108 Rims, 27" x 12" MudLites, Hard roof, Bench Backseat, 2" suspension lift, Strong-built stick stoppers, front and rear bumper, roll bar add-on when roof package removed, split full windshield

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so if I understand this correctly, dust will get in your face just going down the road even if your the only one. Won't the dust be behind you? How would it get in if your moving? Thanks

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A full windshield installed creates a vacuum and the dust is sucked around the windshield into the cab area. And if u do not have a rear shield in the rear of the cab area, it comes thru there also. I deal with it every winter down here in the south when I put my windshield on, with dry and dusty conditions but u can't ride it without it..........just my 2 cents.
    2012 BR Camo, 4500lb. Viper Winch,
    Hi-Flo Air Filter, Dual Batteries, Tool Box,
    Sway Bar Disconnected, Snorkeled, Honda Plastic Top, Gun Scabbard, 5 Panel Mirror, FMF PowerLine Exhaust.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I get now. I would likely only use it in the winter here in WI, and the snow should keep the dust down. Thanks

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whoa there. I had one and got rid of it. It is worst with the snow. The snow comes in as bad as the dust. I finally had to get a hard top. Check out my photo gallery (JungleCat)
    Bob
    Last edited by JungleCat; 06-25-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good point Bob, Thanks

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a full one piece and a soft rear for the winter. I just recently purchased an EMP half (actually 1/4) windshield for the summer in Arkansas. It keeps the wind out from chin down but most important the bugs go over. I used to go topless in the summer until i ate a grasshopper...yuk! It has thumb screws for quik removal. I like it but it cost $$$$ to have both!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone ever hear of a tempered glass windshield that partially opens? I'm going to stay away from the poly models, have seen too many scratches and hazing over on some.

Will be getting the new Pioneer soon and have been thinking about windshield, top and winches.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.bigredforums.com/forums/g...eld-build.html This is the thread that OFRCboy posted when he built the windshield that is in my BR ..... the dust sucks and I think the only way away from it is to seal the entire cab but the dust in my BR with the back window and front as well is less then I see in others without either so I suffer a bit...googles and dust masks work and a big thank you to whom ever invented the solar shower.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As for the rear window he told me he used the rear sliding window from an F-150 and just used the two side pieces not the slider section and a bit of 1/4" lexan to complete it and all the other open areas have plastic sheeting cut to fit then zip tied to the frame....it's not air tight but it is very effective and again it doesn't block all the dust but it blocks ALOT of it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just ordered the emp 1/4 windshield today, had a heck of a time finding one. When I talked to the rep at EMP they advised they don't make them any more and have none. I wanted this one only cuz I plan to get the full shield next and want to use the same brackets. I didn't care for the Honda 1/4, the emp seemed to fit better and looked to be a bit taller

Anyhow, if anyone's plans to pick one up I would't wait to long.
    2013 Big Red 862 miles (ours)
    2013 850 XP 3,005 miles (mine)
    2009 Grizzly 700 7,900 miles (hers)
    Stetsonville, WI

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just was advised from EMP that they no longer make the 1/4 shield. Ordered the Honda wind deflector.
    2013 Big Red 862 miles (ours)
    2013 850 XP 3,005 miles (mine)
    2009 Grizzly 700 7,900 miles (hers)
    Stetsonville, WI