Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGBONVI

Thread: 715 BBK & CAM

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

715 BBK & CAM

so i had a recent bit of bad luck and cracked the crank case for my tranny. since they have to gut the whole engine and tranny to replace the case, i decided to do some upgrades while they are in there.
    i sent my jug, cam, and PCIII off today to Turner cycles today to install a big bore kit, performance cam, and new map to accomadate all the upgrades. i will keep everyone ifnformed of gains, longevity, and such. i am nervous and excited all at the time. it will be 2-3 weeks before the parts are in and i am guessing another week or so to get it all back together.
    the feedback on the BBK on the internet is all over the place and it is hard to determine the source of the information. so i decided to see for myself.
    09, 715 BBK & CAM, gorilla lift kit, hl springs, 28" OL rads, hmf swamp series , pc III, dual custom batteries, warn 4000# w, kolpin full tilt, custom snorkel, glove box, rear bumper, & top, triple 7" HID lighting, digital dash, stick stoppers

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 715 BBK & CAM

I had this same kit installed in my Rincon. After 200 miles the facing of the cam was worn off and bits of metal ground up in the oil and filter. I have since installed the factory 680 kit and used the original cam. The cam was a Web cam unit. I was suprised to find such a sorry job done on facing and regrinding the cam. Everything looked good when we installed it. I'm glad I didn't send in my core. Just for your info I don't recomend this mod. The power was really nice. Also the machinist cut the top of the cylinder liner recess a thousandth or two too deep and the liner broke seal with the head gasket. That's what lead to the discovery of the cam facing. Also the cylinder liner sticks excessively down into the cases which just doesn't look right. I haven't talked to Highlifter, the supplier of the kit. It's took me a while to be able to discuss this with out cussing and swearing. I really want to keep things positive. Let us know how things turn out.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope like hell this does not happen, i may be single if I got to sink more money after only 200 miles. did Turner do the machine work and install?
    09, 715 BBK & CAM, gorilla lift kit, hl springs, 28" OL rads, hmf swamp series , pc III, dual custom batteries, warn 4000# w, kolpin full tilt, custom snorkel, glove box, rear bumper, & top, triple 7" HID lighting, digital dash, stick stoppers

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wonder if they speced a different tolerance for valve lash or did it require different valve springs....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well i initially posted this on 5/30. lets just say 2-3 weeks have come and gone. i was also told 3 weeks ago that my jug was done and all i was waiting on was my cam. this monday all was done and shipping out. well today is wenesday and i was now just told that they had problems with the cylinder and it will now ship today. lets just say i hope to hell and back this kit works. i am more than dissatisfied. if i conducted my business like any of the atv shops i have done business with, i would not have a job.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

interested to see how it runs.

i baked my brand new big gun evo.... trying to get it warrantied.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so whats the word man? get it back yet?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got the parts in from turner last thursday. i immediately dropped them off at the dealer which is a mile from my office. supposedly his cpu crashed and he has no maps for the PCIII. He explained to me how to tune it myselg and said to call back with quesitons. we will see how that goes. it seems a little intemidating, but we will see how that goes. i got to call the dealer today and see how its coming along.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

finally got it back. it took a couple weekends to get it broken in. i have not got it tuned yet, but i feel noticeable gains through low and mid range. by noticeable, i do not mean wheelie popping power. the gains i feel are mild. i do think i lost a little bit off the top end but the cam grind i got is supposed to be for low end grunt.
    it is nice to get any power gains, but my first reaction is that it aint worth the money unless you are already doing a rebuild. i have had no overheating issues or starter problems as of yet. i will change the oil, check the spark plug, and address tuning issues. then i will update.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well get jiggy with it man!

ya know, you should now have a forged piston..... put a bottle on it.

i'm going to remove the bed and try to waterwheelie it this weekend.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Until you get it tuned I would'nt judge the power. You can be losing 20% of your power without a tune. I've watched our engine builder write a custom map and dial in a tune and that build gained another 7-8 HP as he tuned it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the encouragement. i called around today and found someone locally that will use an O2 sensor and get me tuned up. it will be ready today or tomorrow. i will ride my BR considerably over the weekend, so i should have a report next week.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when ya do, don't be greedy.... post up your pc-v tune for download.

found that fmf stopped manufacturing their powerline muffler for the big red so i'm actually customizing one for an 05 polaris ranger.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the 3 not the 5. also you can still find fmf's in stock if you do a search.
    TimberBull likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no tune done yet. i got issues with my exhaust system that need to be worked out before a proper tune can be done...to be continued!

Search tags for this page

680 rincon big bore kit
big bore kit for rincon 680
honda big red big bore kit

honda rincon 680 big bore kit

honda rincon 715 big bore kit

honda rincon big bore kit

honda rincon stroker kit

rincon 680 big bore kit

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.