• 1 Post By jmiraval
  • 1 Post By jmiraval

Thread: Another snorkel design

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another snorkel design

While doing my research I found a couple different designs available. But most bring the pipe up from the center or behind the passenger seat. While functional, they just didn't seem to catch my fancy. But one stood out of the crowd. A dealer on ebay was building them that came out the side by the gas filler neck. I liked it, so I pilfered their design.

Things to note:
    1. The factory snorkel is a pain to remove but can be removed in one piece. I did so since mine is under warranty and the dealership warned that it needs to be in stock condition when bringing in for warranty work. "Body damage" doesn't matter.

2. Use ABS cellular core pipe. It is available from most RV parts stores. It will bend instead of shatter like PVC will

3. I also chose to extend the fuel tank vent and rear diff vent tubes. I left the front diff and fan motor vent tubes alone. If i go that deep, I've got other things to worry about.

4. Parts: 6' piece of 2" ABS pipe, 3 x 2" PVC 90's, 1 x 2" PVC 45

5. I used some of the Rustoleum plastic paint. I got the hammered metal grey color. Looks dang spiffy!

Now for the pics...

Notes: the long pice of pipe is 19"; the piece between the 90's is 1 3/4"; the piece sticking out of the 45 is 2"

Notes: this rubber fitting is turned upward in the factory position, just rotate it down to where it points out horizontally

Notes: This what it looks like from the top behind the roll cage

Notes: another view of it going into the air box and the ziptie i used to support it. i also ziptied down the fuel line. in hindsight, i probably should have moved the strain relief that was installed on the fuel line... but i didnt cinch it down too tight anyway.

Notes: A view from up under the side body panel. Its a tight fit and the metal tubing up under there will get in the way.

Notes: The exit hole. I used a 2 1/2 hole saw, but needed something bigger to fit the 90's bell end through. so I went freestyle with the holesaw and wallered it out.

Notes: Finished product. The fancy white zipties will be changed out shortly (slight oversight). Yes i know that most snorkels do a 180 up at the top... but i think that looks a little cheesy and i park mine in the garage so no worries.

4Nines likes this.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another snorkel design

Went out today for a fathers day ride with my dad and his kubota RTV. My buddy also went in his hi-powered brute force. Tested in some moderately deep water, mine isn't lifted for reference. after 6 passes back an forth through the water crossing i had about a 1/4 cup of water in the air box. I will be siliconing all the rubber fittings in the airbox, but i think it did fairly well. i am extremely happy with it so far.

4Nines likes this.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update:

The blue RTV I used didn't stick to the airbox. Found that it still does well, just don't floor it as it creates too much negative air pressure and the rubber pipe fitting collapses and allows water in.

Snapped the snorkel off when i hit a tree. The ABS was a great choice, small zipties.... not so much. swapped out for large stainless pipe clamps and haven't had a problem since. Deep water is a breeze now with minimal water intrusion. Picking up some 28x12x12 outlaws this weekend and now that I finally installed the 2" lift, i hope they fit well. Went through some really deep water over the steering wheel and i think the rear started to float. Maybe I can get this heavy beast to water wheelie???? If not then we're going to tie a beer keg to the front just for S&G...

I'll post pics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am in the process of snorkeling my 012 exactly like yours. I have one question, from the top opening of the intake, do you experience any intake noise? I have had other SxS's and have experienced this intake noise when they were changed from the factory setup air intake.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no noise. the noise you heard from other sxs is their belt system.... which we do not have. their is the ever so slight whistle of air going into it.... nothing really.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the post. I will begin building one for myself. I was interested if you could give us some pictures etc of breather tubes as well, I"m thinking I'll route everything up to the roof but i don't know where they are or how to find the right sized tubing
    2011 Big Red
    PowerCommanderV
    AutoTune
    Highlifter 2" lift
    28x12x14r Outlaw Radials
    Sway bar disconnected

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i just disconnected the fuel tank vent line and rear diff vent lines. did some quick rough measurements and headed to autozone. bought what looked closest and used that. the front diff vents to a radiator mounting hoop that is pretty high up so i figured it would be just fine. as for routing the hoses, i just found the drillbit that was closest in size and drilled the holes between the snorkel and the rollcage to keep them discreet. then routed them up the snorkel. be sure to use stainless pipe clamps and not the zipstraps like i did in the picture. the first limb i found ripped it right off. i now have two pipe clamps and havent had a problem since, they have pleanty of trail rash. the only update i think i would add in the future is to make it removable by cutting the up-pipe where it exits the plastics above the fuel tank. then install a rubber coupler. it could then be easily removed in two pieces. plus if you get super stupid and run it against a tree, it would only damage the up-pipe and the rest be left un-harmed. but that black pipe is very forgiving and stong.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are there no engine vent tubes? I realize the transmission is encased in the engine block but certainly there must be some pcv valve or transmission breather tube?
    2011 Big Red
    PowerCommanderV
    AutoTune
    Highlifter 2" lift
    28x12x14r Outlaw Radials
    Sway bar disconnected

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

take a look at the LH side of your airbox....

enjoy!

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TTT

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

135 bucks on ebay includes template to drill the hole. That was the scary part.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes drilling the hole is the scary part. what i did was hold the pipe against the roll cage and mark where it hit the plastic. i felt all around behind it to make sure i wasn't going to hit the gas tank. $135 isn't bad though.... especially if someone is unsure of themselves. i think if i had to do another one, i would use 2 45's where the first 90 is after coming out of the air box.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also i've since broke off the up tube and replaced it. suggestion on changes.... put a flex rubber coupling right above where you put your hole in the plastic, so if you brake it, it can be easily replaced. also i had mine ziptied to the roll cage. broke them twice until i switched to stainless steel pipe straps.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am currently researching my snorkel kit. Does anyone know how bad it would be to add the side curtain doors with the snorkel in this location??