Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Programmers

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Programmers

Can someone explain what can be adjusted and give examples when installing say a Power Commander V. I'm interested in getting one but would like to know the type of adjustments that can be made. Also, will just installing a PC-V see alot of improvements. I'm old school, in thought, as in more air in, more out will notice a improvement. Of course, better air filter and a high flow muffler, with a PC-V would likely see the most gains. I have my 2012 BR snorkeled and a high flow air filter and do not wish for it to be any louder.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Programmers

Hard to believe nobody has an answer.........................

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Timberwolf,

If I had to guess, there are only a handful on here using a Power Commander.
    So it may be a smaller audience you are asking.
    I don't know if there are dyno numbers from actual tests on a Big Red.
    What I have heard users state is that driveability, throttle response and perceived performance have all gotten better. Hot/Cold starting as well.
    The PC-V in general controls/modifies fuel and ignition.
    If you have noise concerns, you might consider an extended and turned down exhaust tip (on the stock muffler) or a Silent Rider (formerly Benz) muffler

Hope that helps
    2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (pulling)
    2012 Olive Green Big Red

Kenda Executioner 26 x 12 x 12
    BenzSilentRiderMuffler
    HondaHard Top
    HondaAux Lights
    HondaWinch kit
    TTO Hourmeter
    Rigid Industries SRM -rear lighting (USA company)
    6 x 10 utility trailer

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not a programmer. It takes the signal to the fuel injector and messes with it. Yes you are right about more air and fuel.... but you can't take advantage of one without the other. The power commander handles the fuel end.

If you call power commander they are very helpful in explaining things. I'll be addind the auto tune to mine soon so that a can run a 25hp shot of NOS. But then I'm crazy and do silly stuff with my expensive toys.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmiraval View Post
    Its not a programmer. It takes the signal to the fuel injector and messes with it. Yes you are right about more air and fuel.... but you can't take advantage of one without the other. The power commander handles the fuel end.

If you call power commander they are very helpful in explaining things. I'll be addind the auto tune to mine soon so that a can run a 25hp shot of NOS. But then I'm crazy and do silly stuff with my expensive toys.
    I am trying to contact Power Commander as we speak. Do you have first-hand experience with the PC-5 in a stock setup? Just wondering what could be expected in this setup. PC has no maps for the BR, but then again, I am getting in over my head. I need something to just plug-and-play. I have mine snorkeled and double air filtered and I'm sure that will plat into the equation.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i ran the PC-5 stock for a short bit, it does really nothing. it comes with a zero map so there are no adjustments to fuel, so its doing nothing except looking cool. you have to run a map. obviously from your searching, you've learned that there are no big red maps. you can download the maps for the 680 rincon for your year or previous years back to 2008 i believe. its the same engine and computer all that stuff.

in talking to power commander they have not done a lot with the big red maps as no one has brought one to them yet. there are no dyno tunes yet as its too darn big to fit on most atv dynos and most full size vehicle dynos dont have the power commander equipment.

to take advantage of the PC-V you are going to have to get a good flowing filter like the unifilter and a good exhaust. its going to be louder. in the atv world performance and decibels are synonomous.... sorry.

i now run 30" mudlights and it turns them fine. i pull out stuck full size trucks often. the PC-V is a great device, but you are gonna have to do some mods. the big gun is stupid loud and quite obnoxious plus its fiberglass filled so that stuff burns out fairly quickly. i had one, i know. if you want a great option, get an FMF powerline for a 07 polaris ranger 700 i believe. it has a long stainless pipe attached. have your local mufflershop fabricate it on. with a short adapter pipe, you'll be able to make a slip on exhaust for cheaper than the big gun. it won't burn out and it will be quieter. plus all stainless as well.

make sure you properly oil that air filter.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i ran the PC-5 stock for a short bit, it does really nothing. it comes with a zero map so there are no adjustments to fuel, so its doing nothing except looking cool. you have to run a map. obviously from your searching, you've learned that there are no big red maps. you can download the maps for the 680 rincon for your year or previous years back to 2008 i believe. its the same engine and computer all that stuff.

in talking to power commander they have not done a lot with the big red maps as no one has brought one to them yet. there are no dyno tunes yet as its too darn big to fit on most atv dynos and most full size vehicle dynos dont have the power commander equipment.

to take advantage of the PC-V you are going to have to get a good flowing filter like the unifilter and a good exhaust. its going to be louder. in the atv world performance and decibels are synonomous.... sorry.

i now run 30" mudlights and it turns them fine. i pull out stuck full size trucks often. the PC-V is a great device, but you are gonna have to do some mods. the big gun is stupid loud and quite obnoxious plus its fiberglass filled so that stuff burns out fairly quickly. i had one, i know. if you want a great option, get an FMF powerline for a 07 polaris ranger 700 i believe. it has a long stainless pipe attached. have your local mufflershop fabricate it on. with a short adapter pipe, you'll be able to make a slip on exhaust for cheaper than the big gun. it won't burn out and it will be quieter. plus all stainless as well.

make sure you properly oil that air filter.
    Thanks man. Now to decide what to do...........
    2012 BR Camo, 4500lb. Viper Winch,
    Hi-Flo Air Filter, Dual Batteries, Tool Box,
    Sway Bar Disconnected, Snorkeled, Honda Plastic Top, Gun Scabbard, 5 Panel Mirror, FMF PowerLine Exhaust.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

personal experience....

the PC-V uses a power wire tap to pull voltage off a wire going to the TPS. on mine this tap wore through that wire and it snapped in half. had to solder it and do a repair on it. works fine now.

what i suggest is doing what i did for the ignition switch power on lead i used to turn on the radio.... pull back the wire jacket with a pair of strippers. wrap a new wire around it and solder. then wrap back with tape. then install a shielded spade connector on the end. now you have a much better tap for juice for the power commander.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

personal experience....

the PC-V uses a power wire tap to pull voltage off a wire going to the TPS. on mine this tap wore through that wire and it snapped in half. had to solder it and do a repair on it. works fine now.

what i suggest is doing what i did for the ignition switch power on lead i used to turn on the radio.... pull back the wire jacket with a pair of strippers. wrap a new wire around it and solder. then wrap back with tape. then install a shielded spade connector on the end. now you have a much better tap for juice for the power commander.
    Question has been ask before, I'm sure, but here goes. I found a PC-V for a 2009-2010 Honda Rincon for $268 and some change. Will this fit my 2012 BR. Will any modifications be needed to the PC-V to fit other than plug-and-play?
    Sway Bar Disconnected, Snorkeled, Honda Plastic Top, Gun Scabbard, 5 Panel Mirror, FMF PowerLine Exhaust.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

plug and play bro. now if small suggestion, extend the ground to the same length as the injector connectors then mount it up high. i made a small plate out of diamondplate and mounted it on the rollcage in the center right above the bed where the two sides bolt together. up and out of the way.... and looks cool and can show it off.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

plug and play bro. now if small suggestion, extend the ground to the same length as the injector connectors then mount it up high. i made a small plate out of diamondplate and mounted it on the rollcage in the center right above the bed where the two sides bolt together. up and out of the way.... and looks cool and can show it off.
    And the maps that Powercommander has for the Rincon will work on my 2012 BR?

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yup... no issues at all. you can tell the difference. what exhaust are you running? did you buy a unifilter yet?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yup... no issues at all. you can tell the difference. what exhaust are you running? did you buy a unifilter yet?
    I am running a "moose" filter, something triple filtering? I found a PC-V reasonable I think but I email the guy cause he stated no warranty came with it and it states that it is brand new. Kinda got me cautious. Found a FMF Powerline for a 05-06 Polaris like you had mention but I can't bring myself to make the BR any louder. In the nutshell I have found all the parts to do what you have suggested for around $380. I have a ATV for playing extreme and the BR is my cruzin buggy. Just haven't made up my mind to pull the trigger. If I knew I could see/feel a difference stock, I might go ahead and pull the trigger. I know done the road when I change to a 26" or larger tire I'm going to regret not doing this now...........

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you are going to skip the exhaust, then skip the fuel controller. no use for it, will probably do more bad than anything. its made to use a better flowing muffler. honestly the FMF isn't too bad. don't get me wrong, it is louder.... but it's no where near as obnoxiously loud as the big gun.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as for warranty, as long as he will guarantee it works upon arrival then you are good. as for manufacturer warranty.... these things are good to go. i have completely submerged mine many times.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as for warranty, as long as he will guarantee it works upon arrival then you are good. as for manufacturer warranty.... these things are good to go. i have completely submerged mine many times.
    I have notice that PC for the Rincon has maps for "Zero Map", which I guess means no change from stock? Then I see a map for "stock exhaust, stock air filter" and then of course the exhaust modification maps. You have said you notice "no" change in stock configuration. So is PC saying they have a map doing something that most cannot feel for stock? Changing the timing a little is going to see a small amount of change? You have more experience with a PC-V than me, your thoughts?

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the PC-V does not change timing only fuel injector signal. without writing a book on fuel injection systems i don't think i can explain it much easier than the following....

Most fuels have a target AFR (air/fuel ratio). That number changes between fuel octanes, engine compression ratios and air density. Those number even vary between manufacturers. In talking to one of the tech's at dynojet, i think he said the target AFR# for 93 was around 11-11.5:1 or something like that. Anyway.... so with the restrictive stock filter and exhaust, your engine can only breathe so much. if you throw more fuel at it with a fuel controller, it has to be able to move the air through it to compensate for the adjusted fuel volume. both free flowing air filter and non-restrictive exhaust is required to do this. if not installed, you will have a rich fuel mixture which can cause myriad of issues. now if you were to get the autotune kit and find out the target AFR for whatever brand and type/octane of fuel you typically run, it would adjust and give you the best results for your set up. remember if you pour too much fuel down it's throat and it can't breathe, its gonna choke... bottom line. if you want performance, you are going to have to sacrifice something besides just money..... ever heard a drag car with quiet exhaust? (turbos excluded)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the PC-V does not change timing only fuel injector signal. without writing a book on fuel injection systems i don't think i can explain it much easier than the following....

Most fuels have a target AFR (air/fuel ratio). That number changes between fuel octanes, engine compression ratios and air density. Those number even vary between manufacturers. In talking to one of the tech's at dynojet, i think he said the target AFR# for 93 was around 11-11.5:1 or something like that. Anyway.... so with the restrictive stock filter and exhaust, your engine can only breathe so much. if you throw more fuel at it with a fuel controller, it has to be able to move the air through it to compensate for the adjusted fuel volume. both free flowing air filter and non-restrictive exhaust is required to do this. if not installed, you will have a rich fuel mixture which can cause myriad of issues. now if you were to get the autotune kit and find out the target AFR for whatever brand and type/octane of fuel you typically run, it would adjust and give you the best results for your set up. remember if you pour too much fuel down it's throat and it can't breathe, its gonna choke... bottom line. if you want performance, you are going to have to sacrifice something besides just money..... ever heard a drag car with quiet exhaust? (turbos excluded)
    I knew I understood it, but that explanation is very clear. Many thanks my friend

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JM your an animal, I love it...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jmiraval, I have a question. Going to add a FMF Powerline for a 2005/2006 Polaris Ranger to the 2012 BR that u and I have discussed in a earlier conversation. Question will I see a improvement with just the Powerline? Maybe later down the road will add the PC-V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

air filter for honda pioneer 700 so it breathed
do you have to have programmer for big gun slip on honda pioneer

honda big red programmer

honda pioneer 700 pcv autotune not working

honda pioneer fuel programer

honda pioneer programmer

how to make honda pioneer 700 faster

power commander autotune honda big red muv problems

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.