New Owner-Would Like To Do My Own Service/Maintenance(?)
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Owner-Would Like To Do My Own Service/Maintenance(?)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Owner-Would Like To Do My Own Service/Maintenance(?)

A new owner here----just purchased a '13 Big Red and am located down in southern Arizona.

Any thoughts or recommendations relative to being able to do my own service on the vehicle? I'm marginally "handy"---I'm no "jack of all trades" but am able to fix/repair a variety of small items. Back in the "good old days" (i.e., 1960s) I used to perform minor maintenance and repair on my own cars.

-I have purchased the Honda service manual---don't have it yet, however, it is on the way to me now.
    -What tools or equipment would you recommend?
    -What parts, filters, etc., should I pick-up for performing the 25 hr and 100 hour services?
    -Any recommendations relative to good "on-line" places to purchase parts, filters and the like?

FWIW, I'm a good 65 miles from the Honda dealer where I purchased it----trying to haul it 'back and forth' just doesn't make a lot of sense in my situation.

Thanks for your help and insights!

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Owner-Would Like To Do My Own Service/Maintenance(?)

ok so the maintenance items....
    oil and oil filter change
    air filter
    brake pads
    Thats about it.

The one thing you will need to have done initially is the valve adjustment. it will start ticking soon, give it a bit and then get it adjusted at the dealer. you can pay for the whole first time service.... but really thats the big one.

by the way.... do the snorkel kit

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I second what JM has suggested, do the snorkel!
    2012 BR Camo, 4500lb. Viper Winch,
    Hi-Flo Air Filter, Dual Batteries, Tool Box,
    Sway Bar Disconnected, Snorkeled, Honda Plastic Top, Gun Scabbard, 5 Panel Mirror, FMF PowerLine Exhaust.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember, If you do the snorkel kit it will void your warranty!

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you take your time during disassemble of the factory snorkel, you can save it undamaged. it can all be re-installed. then you just have a hole in the side to make up some story about. its in the best interest of the dealership to get repairs covered under warranty. so if its back to a factory setup and all there is an odd hole, don't think they would say a thing. my honda only dealership i bought it from said that if i do snorkel it, make sure there is no pieces left installed if i bring it in for warranty. i kept every clip when i removed everything. also was able to sneak out the snorkel in one piece.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did receive the Honda Service Manual that I had ordered. Another question arises----is it customary to have to replace the O rings when I do the maintenance service (e.g., 2 on oil filter, oil drain bolt) or should I not be concerned with that and have an extra set around in case I damage the existing O rings? It seems a bit nuts to have to replace O rings every time I change the oil and filter.

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i believe the filter kit comes with them. as for drain plug... dunno. thats what like .15c in parts. no reason not to i guess if you have them.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My oem filter kit didn't have the o-ring and didn't want to drive 50 miles to dealership to get one so just cleaned off old one reoiled and installed. No problems in the 50 miles so far.

I installed my own snorkel(modified from one on this site) and it is a must. I work in very dusty conditions and have not cleaned my filter once. There isn't even dust on the air box lid cover. Thats in 300 miles of very dusty conditions. Did reoil filter at oil change though.

I think the valve adjustment may be about the only thing I will take mine to the dealership for. I was encouraged by them to install a snorkel and told not to worry about it if I brought it in for work. I think they have had quite a few dusted engines and would rather see people install the snorkel and keep mum.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello guys , is the vale adjustment a must ? I haven't heard any ticking or problems & also owned 2 Honda formans never had any valve adjustment & no problems , was just wondering if I needed to take the BR & have it done ? I have 15hrs now ? Thanks

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they will. i would have it done anyways might take a little bit before they start.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got 300 hours on mine and they are still quiet. Had a Honda mechanic listen to them and he said they were just fine. As soon as the Pioneer 700-4 hits my dealership I am trading it off unless I find something about the Pioneer I don't like. Nothing against my Big Red, we really love it, but the additional seating is the attraction for us. Plus I need a new set of tires. (joke)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Checking and adjusting the valves looks like it should be very easy. I have not checked mine yet, it only has 88 miles on it. The manual says to check it at 100 miles, that seems a bit extreme if they are not clicking, I will probably run it a couple hundred miles before I check. I found the procedures on this forum, they are displayed below. Not sure why the pic is so small, if you can't read it let me know and I will put it on a web site and provide a link.

New Owner-Would Like To Do My Own Service/Maintenance(?)-honda-valve-inspection.jpg

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do you know what would cause the service engine light to stay on? this is a used (2011) 4x4 big red. Obviously I don't know much about all of it. my husband checked the oil etc and all seems to be fine. Thanks