0 Post(s)

Re: battery

About $100.00 and $8.00 per hour for a babysitter

Bob

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your handy and own a welder $65 from TSC and more power than you'll ever need.

All kidding aside I wouldn't replace the stock battery with another one. They die way too easily and too soon for how much you'll spend. Look for an aftermarket large battery tray upgrade. As you can see in the first picture I made my own but the second picture is made by Extreme Metal Products but other companies make them. Then you'll have the power for a winch or if years down the road you can just buy another car battery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And here's the question once again.. will the BR charging system charge a full size battery?
    Stereo - YETI - Hardtop - Snorkel - Hour meter - Rearview Mirror - Viper Max 4000 Winch with remote on the front - Warn 4.0 CI on receiver for the rear - Extreme Metal Products battery tray ... next Motosport M-12 Wheels.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not? If you were to drain the battery down it may take longer to charge but it'll still charge it back up. It's not like a larger battery forces your charger to put out more current, it's just like going from a pint sized container to a gallon. If the flow going in doesn't change then it'll just take longer to fill.

I've had the larger battery installed since January and haven't had any problems. But I haven't used the winch for a hard recovery that would draw it down. What I can say is the larger battery will give your starter years more life.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigOlive View Post
    And here's the question once again.. will the BR charging system charge a full size battery?
    Think of it like this.

Does aftermarket trickle chargers charge a full size battery?

Yep, may take some time, but any charger that is designed for a 12 volt battery will charge it.

Will it completely charge a full size auto battery, depends on the amount of charging time versus it's drain time.

When I get my Pioneer, I'm mounting a winch and changing out the battery.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But omit the stock battery completely and just use the full sized battery? I have ordered the Moose tray and that is what I intend to do.
    Stereo - YETI - Hardtop - Snorkel - Hour meter - Rearview Mirror - Viper Max 4000 Winch with remote on the front - Warn 4.0 CI on receiver for the rear - Extreme Metal Products battery tray ... next Motosport M-12 Wheels.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When connecting to batteries in parallel it's that they should be matched and of the same age for best results. If you use a 2 year old small stock battery and connect it to a new large car battery you could run into problems.

For example if the old battery's voltage is lower, even a tiny bit, than the new battery the fresh battery will try to charge the old battery to get it to match the new battery. If it can't then the new battery will slowly drain down to match the older battery. Usually this is not a big deal because the voltages are close but the weaker the older battery gets the bigger the problem. If the older battery has a plate short out then the new battery will drain quickly to try to equalize the two batteries.

Also smaller motorcycle batteries aren't any cheaper than car batteries so you might as well buy a car battery. If the new battery you buy has more than enough power to run everything then the stock battery isn't needed.