Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need More POWER!!!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need More POWER!!!

Hello -

Went riding with my 2013 BR this weekend and seen a side of it that I was not well pleased.

I have over 550 miles and several mods but nothing to increase my BR's performance.

I was climbing a decent hill, nothing crazy but I didn't have much of a running start. The BR accelerates nicely and I started out well, however once I started my climb the BR quickly lost power and eventually stopped mid-stream....scary

It took 3 times and using a different line each time to finally make it over.

Q? Is there anything I can do to increase my High-End power? Or in other words increase my HP for climbs like these? Looks the BR has about 36 HP stock...that's not a lot for a 1400# machine when climbing a hill.....I thought maybe even some more aggressive tires would help also....

My buddy was there with his 900 Polaris Ranger and it climbed same hill with little effort...I understand he has a lot more power than me...so I'm not too surprised.

Note: He also broke a axle on that trip, mine is still running strong and intact.....just say'n

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________2013 BIG GREEN
    #4500 Warn RT Winch w/ Synthetic Rope
    Snorkel Kit - {Fuel & RR Dif snorkeled also}
    AUX Battery
    Digital Meter

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need More POWER!!!

BTW....I was just hoping to hear from some of guy's who have upgraded your BR's to increase it's performance.

Example: Upgraded exhaust, some type of programmer, upgraded Intake filter, etc.

I understand I may be limited due to the restrictions of the machine...but any help will be much appreciated.......thanks!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not getting a lot of response on this topic....but I've read a ton of forum's and websites about MUV 700 Performance Mod's since my last ride and my conclusion is the following:

Even if I drop a GRAND on an Exhaust Tip (approx. $400), Performance Air Filter and a Fuel/Intake Programmer (approx. $400), I'll at best gain a couple/3 horse power and potentially a slight quicker throttle response.....maybe even an unnoticeable change in performance - please correct me if my research is off.

Which leads me to my next question....I'm thinking tires are going to be the best upgrade I can do in terms of hill climbing and increasing performance.

Does anyone care to chim in???

__________________________________________________ _______
    2013 BIG GREEN
    AUX Battery
    Digital Meter
    Last edited by melikiehonduh; 08-06-2015 at 1:56 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i assume you are at a high elevation so the air is thinner. so heres the gig, you're going to need to get a..... power commander V with autotune accessory. aftermarket exhaust and air filter.

The exhaust and air filter will let it breathe as much as possible. The power commander is a fuel controller. it takes the signal to the fuel injector and modifies it. The autotune works with a lambda O2 sensor. Within the software, you set a fuel map of RPM vs TPS and what you want your AFR to be at each crosspoint. you start off with a base 0 adjustment map and the autotune will keep track of the adjustments required to reach the target AFR for each crosspoint. you then apply the updated adjustment map. then do another run and apply those. it takes a couple of runs to get a good fuel table as the engine has to be at a particular crosspoint for a specified time (forgot how long) for it to read the O2 then make and adjustment and re-read then record the adjustment. so it might miss a few adjustment recordings until you get a few runs applied. once you see an adjustment table that shows very small numbers, you've got it nailed. pack up the autotune and remove the O2, you're ready.

ya see with less oxygen in the air the current set up is dumping way to much fuel in. so once you adjust with a fuel controller the AFR will be back to your stociometric value. but this cuts the overall amount volume entering the combustion chamber... so thus the aftermarket exhaust and filter to allow more in.

the same goes for closer to sea level, but you arent starved for oxygen.... you're just adjusting the mixture to take advantage of the extra available air flow.

FYI i have a 2012 with power commander 5, unifilter, snorkeled and FMF. i can turn 30" silverbacks going up a 45deg grade just fine. but i am at sealevel though.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey thanks a lot for the good information.

FYI...I'm actually at or just above (<500) sea level.

Let me ask you....do you think the upgrades you just mentioned (>$1000) is worth the performance increase you received? Cost vs. Benefit?

Sounds like you got better throttle response and more power band, than the stock machine....but is there anyway to gauge how much you increased?

For $1000+ I'm wondering if adding better tires and EPS is a more worthy upgrade.....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    2013 BIG GREEN
    AUX Battery
    Digital Meter

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes it was worth it by far. unfortunately there is no way for me to provide data as this machine is too wide for a dyno.

so if i were to gauge a % of increase, i'd say it was near 15-20%. its big and heavy so don't think you'll be blowing the wheels off it like some 1000cc canam.... but it will turn them in the muck. but you have to do alllllll the mods not just some of them, the power comes from the synergy. each part is dependent on another to gain the performance. and remember in the end, these are not power adders.... they only remove a restriction. if you are down at sea level like me, you are really going to see the difference.

i've got 29.5 outlaws and can hit the rev limiter....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok thanks again for the info. So in a scenario where I'm climbing a steep hill and where as the stock machine would stall out. Your saying machine with mods would perform 15-20% better? Any backyard dyno data? Before and after?
    I've come to the realization that sense if I trade in my Honda big red I will lose my pants although I really would like to have a 1000. so since I'm stuck I wanted to perform at most capability.
    so I'm thinking with your mods, EPS, larger tires and a 2 inch lift is about as bad as big red can be :-)

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no dyno data.... just know that it has more get up and go.

btw, the big gun exhaust sucks. FMF made one for the big red but it's no longer in production. i found mine used from a dealer on ebay. the other option was i found that the ranger 700 fmf came with a long pipe on it, so i was able to easily adapt it. i ran that one for a while before i destroyed it. i run a pretty lean tune on my power commander so when i hit the water it just is hell on the pipes that are pretty hot EGTs.