OEM Tire Replacement, with what?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OEM Tire Replacement, with what?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OEM Tire Replacement, with what?

OK, I think, from reading on here, that the OEM tires on the Big Red have "issues" like they SUCK!

If you have or are going to replace your OEM tires what do you intend to go with?

Goodyear Mudrunners - Are on all my ATVs and absolutely love them. The only problem with them is that they are EXPENSIVE! I first got them when Goodyear introduced them and they weren't that expensive but Goodyear has since increased thier cost. Over all an excellent tire that is nice on the trails and excellent in the mud.

MudLites - had a set once with no luck, always going flat on me. Sold them to a friend who wanted to try them and he never had an issue. Must be me. They worked great in the mud a little bit rough on hard packed trail.

ITP 589 - Great tire, awesome in mud and not bad on hard packed trails but HEAVY. I liked these when I had a set but for my type of riding I really didn't like the ride I got with them at the time.

I am leaning toward the Goodyear Radial but haven't decided yet on what tire to get.

What does everyone else run or what are you thinking of getting for your Big Red?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: OEM Tire Replacement, with what?

I have been looking into this as well and have been leaning toward the 27" Mud Lite XTR's on a 14" rim. I have also looked at the Terra Cross but I am planning a 1400KM UTV trip this summer and have been wondering if I should just run the stockers till I get back or buy something before I leave. The trail is going to be all gravel with no mud at all so the Mud Lite's would be a poor choice for this trip.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I woun't go any larger then a 26" tire. Have had a Rincon whith the same transmission and no way to lower the gearing I'll stick with OEM size or only one size larger. With the Rincon I was able to put the Big Red gear into it and lower the gearing by 26% but there is no option for that on the Big Red.

I'd think real hard on 27"+ tires before you sppend the money on them.. I'm sure the Big Red has the Umph to turn them but in mud and/or with a heavy load is where you will notice the size difference.

A friend has Maxxis Big Horns on his RZR adm they seem nice, hook up well on trails, looking at them too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also own a Foreman, and I replaced the OEM tires with Carlisle ACT HD radials. These have been fantastic tires, and they are not as heavy as some of the similarly sized 6 ply tires out there. When the BR needs new ones, I plan on putting on ACT HD tires in a 25-11-12...a little heavier than stock, but certainly a better tire, and a tiny bit wider. I'm hoping for a better ride than the stock tires as well.
    Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Titan 489's work well to for the money. Had a set on my Suzuki Ozark and got thru the mud great! Then my son put an oversize set on his Honda 250EX and says nothing stops him in the mud. When the stokers wear out it will be Carlisle or Titan for me.

Last edited by Cenflrider; 03-10-2010 at 2:51 PM. Reason: Incorrect word

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am also looking and have measured the height of my stock tires to be about 23.5" tall are all the tires short for the size? I would like to go to 26" but am worried the machine will run out or power climbing or in mud.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OFRC Boy,

With a 26" tire you'll be fine. You only really need to worry about tire size when you jump 2-3+ sizes larger. With the lower gearing that the Big Red has over the original Rincon, 26% lower actually, you will be fine.

Also, every tire is different and depending on the air pressure, etc that will dictate your true tire size. Your Big Red is geared for 25" tires from the factory so, if you get a OEM replacement tire that is 26" you are only going 1 inch larger and gain .5" more ground clearance. Also, running out of power will happen if you have a really aggressive tread pattern.

If you go to a 26" HL Outlaw and then swap over to a 26" Big Horn, your machine will spin the Big Horns with ease even in thick mud, the Outlaws will bog down the machine in thick mud. I know, I had a set of Outlaws and they were nice but took lots of power to turn them.

You shouldn't have any problems with the 26" tires.

Let us know what type you decide on.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm still trying to decide what to replace the stock tires with. I've read that the ATV tires wear out quicker on the UTVs, anyone find this to be true? I've had real good luck with the GBC DirtDevel II. I don't have lots of deep mud around me, more of a rocky muddy mess.

I would like something with taller lugs, well over an inch. The DD IIs would have to be 26" to get the taller lugs and I don't think they would make good front tires. Can you put Radials on the front and Bias on the back, if so I wouldn't mind something like Reptiles for the front or maybe the TerraCross.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dr Al,

I haven't heard where a tire wears out faster on a UTV then on a ATV. Urban myth?

As for Radials in the front and bias on the back, Unknown. I know on a car/truck you shouldn't mix them. The army found out this the hard way when they went to a new tire on the Hummer and then had several accidents fron the new Radial and old non-Radial tires causing handline issues.

They issues an emergency order to remove all non-radial tires and not to mix then anymore. On something as small as a UTV you may not have an issue but I wouldn't mix the to myself.

Eitherway let us know what you decide to go with, pictures are strongly encouraged.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think diameter would be the biggest issue. On a car there are sidewall issues that would causehandling issues. Bias tires have a stiffer sidewalls and tend not to roll (flex) as much as radial tires. But none of that should make a difference on a UTV (maybe at top speed on a paved or hard packed road).

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ran a set of mud lites on a ranger for about three years and have to say they are the best atv tire I have ever run. They are smooth on pavement and the best traction on dirt and mud. Rocks will get the side walls though if you run low pressure.
    Alex

Garner NC

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How are Goodyear Mud Runners on hard pack. Here in the Wisconsin Northwoods and Michigan's Upper Peninsula, many of our trails are made up of long stretches of abandoned r.r. grade, i.e. gravel, sand, mine rock. Most of our woods trails are sand or sand/mud. Unless we head for the lowland marshes or cedar swamps, we experience only infrequent and short stretches of mud. If not Mud Runners, any suggestions for this type of trail?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the same riding conditions here and have started looking at the ITP Terra Cross or a set of Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. They are a good all around tire that can deal with some mud and the gravel type trails.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have 26" ITP 589's on ITP SS112's awesome tire for mud or snow!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ended up Radial reptiles 26x9 in the front and 26x11 in the rear. Steering and ride are much better. I had stated I wanted the Titan tires however after reading all the posts I went to a radial. BIG difference in the ride!

lazerman likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ended up with 26" Swamp Lites on ITP SS212 Rims. Just got them home a few minutes ago and will install them tomorrow.

Oh and the boxes are my Camoplast UTV 4S tracks which will also get installed in the very near future.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is why I ended up with new tires so soon. Picture is not the best but it has a full pack of plugs in the side wall. It was good enough to get me home and thats it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sfrankland, you made it home, thats what counts
    Wheels and tires look great Can't wait to see the tracks installed.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here are a few pics with the tires on the bike.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi....im new here and just purchased a 2012 BR....
    Im trying to look into the future of when i will need new tires as to what route ill take on size.....

See if this makes sence to u guys, it doesnt sound true to me...

Was at the honda shop monday getting oil and asked about a BR out front that had 27" mudlites on it, was wondering if it robbed much power away from the rig.....guy said no it does just fine with them, it has 14" rims so it has less sidewall than the stock tires so it pulls them easier....??????
    Then he said if your worried about loseing power, they have started putting 15" rims on the rigs now.....so i asked a few more questions back n forth and he told me my BR would turn a 26" tire on a 15" rim easier than it will turn a 25" tire on a 12" rim since its lighter and has less sidewall....

Is this true?

Im still stumped that u can add an inch taller tire and turn it better than an inch smaller just because the tire is lighter....makes sence but it doesnt if you know whay im saying....lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast