Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CV Joint guards / protectors

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CV Joint guards / protectors

I recently found that I had torn the front passenger outer CV boot on our Big Red before any damage to the CV joint occurred. Aftermarket boots are not yet available (I'm working on fixing that with "Danny the CVman".) Anyway, I want to purchase aftermarket CV joint guards for all four corners of Big Red. I've found these

10339 Honda Big Red MUV A-Arm CV Boot Guards Front Rear 4 Piece Set EMP USA Made EMP 10339

but I'm wondering what experiences fellow owners have had with these or others before I order.

Thanks,
    -=T=-

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CV Joint guards / protectors

They look fairly beefy and the price seems good for a set of four. The only thing I would like to see different would be a method of fastening them on that would get rid of the bolt head stick down below the plate.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I like the black color, all the holes I feel would work against you. The factory set has more coverage. Yea I know,, the $$$.
    Check out this ebay link
    New Honda Big Red MUV UTV Front & Rear A-Arm Guards MUV : eBay Motors (item 230456602771 end time Apr-30-10 15:05:38 PDT)

I also sent an email to these guys, HOME :: ATV ACCESSORIES :: Aluminum Products, Inc. who said they were working on big red items. I run this stuff on my Honda Foreman and its not let me down. Since I have a set of the factory A arm gaurds on my BR I can only hope they (aluminum products) come up with a better design skid plate then what we currently have.

Concerning attachment, the factory guards use recessed allen screws. The ones you show use U bolts however excess can be cut off with a cut off wheel (extra work however I have not had a problem in my Foreman).

hope this helps a little

Last edited by Cenflrider; 04-26-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: one day I hope to spell :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I thought the factory guards were only for the rear end, I didn't know that they had a solution for all four corners!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too, went with the Honda factory set (front and rear). Price did cause me to temporarily slip into a coma at the pay counter, but when I recovered from the black-out, I felt better about having them on there and it looks well protected now. They are not black as is the rest of the undercarriage but, as I remind my wife at least once per week, Form Follows Function( And it is beginning to look like poverty follows BR ownership).

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, using Honda.com as a reference for front and rear, over the counter (providing the dealer charge suggested retail) you will spend $289.90 plus tax. Our fellow BR owners north of the border will pay even more.
    Got mine from eBay from a seller who really did treat me right. I paid $239.99, bought some other things and got shipping cut in ½. $50.00 is better in my pocket and someone else’s. And right now I it appears that Honda has the best set going till the aftermarket catches up.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys! I spent $74.90 including 7% MS sales tax for a boot kit (inner and outer) to replace the torn outer boot. If you do this on all 4 axles it totals about $299 so it appears Honda has you coming or going with CV money. Pay me now for protection, or pay me later for repair. Looks like my best bet is to follow the ebay link sent earlier in this thread and get the Honda guards at the "less than dealer price". I hope the wife like her mother's day present. Thanks again for the responses!
    -=T=-

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gents,
    Got a message back from Aluminum products. I asked the following; Do you have an idea when you may offer something for the Honda Big Red MUV (2009/2010 models). Stick guards are sure needed since factory units are in excess of $250.00 for both front and rear coverage We also need a belly skid plate. It's very difficult to change the oil, many on the forums would like to cut some of the Honda plate off for engine service access.
    The response I got back was; I have a Big Red in my shop now, we were not planning to do a Full Belly Skid Plate because it’s already covered with a steel plate. If we were to make a FBSP then most people would not have the means nor the know how to torch cut the steel one off. The Big Red could use some Stik-Gards for sure and possibly a winch mounting plate.

So, we will see

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the follow up It looks like the Aluminum products people are good people.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Sir !
    Comparing the two I would go with Aluminum products, this means you have to wait however I have both Aluminum products offerings and Honda’s offering. My money would stay in my pocket until AP offers theirs for sale. My opinion, so take it for what its worth.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My local dealer wanted right at $300 before tax, I went ahead and got them from the site you suggested earlier, shipped, no tax for right at $250. Done deal. Now I've got a little project to do and hopefully will avoid more torn boots!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I installed the factory guards this weekend- was as easy as falling out of a boat and hitting water. They don't provide as much coverage/protection as I thought they would. I guess the designers knew what they were doing, but more coverage toward the boots seems necessary to me. $300 is mighty high for two flat pieces of aluminum with rolled edges. This is one of those situations where the company has you right where they want you. Overpriced accessories that "should" have standard equipment. Maybe I just need another cup of coffee to be less grouchy!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A while back "ThezombieAK" started a thread for basically a wish list of what we thought and wanted to see on BR (I hope there were reading) please see the link. It will make your coffee go down better.

http://www.bigredforums.com/forums/g...tml#post758651

I raise my cup to you sir!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I looked at all of them and aluminum products has by far the best coverage, constructed of aluminum and very well priced.