Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bfox

Thread: So just last night...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So just last night...

I wrote this observation just last night. I currently own a 2014 Teryx T2. There are some things I don't like about it.

My needs and priorities in a UTV are slightly different than most. First I am an older user and ride with a prosthetic leg, so I cannot walk out of some remote country I am likely to be in and often by myself. Secondly my type of use is get into some very rugged and remote areas doing exploration and finding routes for UTV enthusiasts for my tours and rally events that I promote. I don’t use a dumpbed much, but it does seem to make access easier if you can tilt the bed up to gain access. It is not a priority though. An area of great concern for me is fuel range through a combination of economy and fuel capacity. I like straight forward and easy servicing at least as far as air cleaner access and replacement. I like easy fluid access and the ability to not have to use proprietary lubricants. I prefer to not have to do excessive maintenance. Periodic oil and filter changes, replacement or service of the air filter as needed and perhaps an annual valve check, differential fluid change, and maybe a transmission lubricant is all I want to have to be concerned about. If a belt had to be changed out in the field, it needs to be accomplished without excessive effort or tools.
    I am unique in that I don’t do lots of mud or deep water crossing. I am not a duner or a jumper. I do long days on two track dirt roads. I may be using an UTV for 6 or 7 days at a time. I need reliability and I like having a warranty that will cover items that fail. Belt life is critical. With my kind of use, I expect to get 5,000 miles to a belt.
    I need a fuel range of 250 miles including a 4g Rotopax can.
    Because I wear a prosthetic left leg, I need easy access to get in and out and I need relaxed legroom for my long legs. Along with that, I have found that I prefer actual doors to nets and belts. I do require a roof as well.
    Cargo space is necessary. I often need to haul camping gear and or support gear on a long ride. When I’m not exploring or on a multi-day excursion, I am out hunting and possibly needing to carry a big game animal back to camp.
    I prefer a minimum of 10” of good adjustable suspension. I do not want to buy new shocks to make it ride like the factory should have done in the first place.
    I want good, tough, reliable tires. I don’t want cheap manufacturer imitations that have to be changed out immediately. I need to rock crawl, blitz down a two track all day long and be able to jump on 25 miles of pavement at the end of the day.
    I want a minimum of 2 12 volt outlets for charging and gps connections.
    I do not want a 50 mph factory limiter. Give me a tach and let me decide when to slow down.
    I do not need a four seat rig. I value storage and carrying capacity more. I do need to carry a spare wheel and tire with me. I need to carry 2 rifles during hunting season.
    My rigs get a lot of exposure and need to set the example for versatility, reliability, fuel range, and low maintenance requirements.

On top of that, my tow rig is a White Honda Ridgeline. Then today Honda releases my next MUV. I put down a deposit on a 1000EPS White. No belts a 6sp dct by the company with more dct technology and experience than anyone in the world. Couple it with a new 1000 cc motor. I'm in love/lust. Sign me up!

BigBrew likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: So just last night...

Sounds like the Pioneer 1000 will fit the bill, even though you say you don't need a 4 seater but need cargo space may still look at the 1000-5 Deluxe since the seats fold down and has the auto-leveling suspension it would ride properly when loaded heavy. Plus being available in white would match your Ridgeline even though camo might better suit your hunting needs. I can definitely see the Pioneer 1000 with the 6 speed DCT his potentially being one of the most reliable SxS from a design standpoint, and hopefully this lives up to their reputation of comfort and reliability.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having doing a T4 myself, I can say that the seats are the most comfy stockers I ever seen in a UTV. I can only hope the Honda seats are as comfy.

The T4 has a super weak reverse also. I hope the Honda has a real low reverse.

Everything else (especially the drivetrain) about this Honda tells me HONDA IS BACK baby! Not just back...about to win multiple awards and set new standards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My dealer is a multiline dealer and as such doesn't expect to see a Pioneer until at least a year from now. Which is ok, I have a very reliable Teryx until then.
    UTV Tours and Guided Rides in the Last Great Outback of NV.
    Wells, NV UTV Rally
    www.weridellc.com