Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2009 Honda Rincon 680/Big Red MUV-700 PGM-FI Unit Swap- PLEASE HELP

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2009 Honda Rincon 680/Big Red MUV-700 PGM-FI Unit Swap- PLEASE HELP

Has anyone ever tried swapping the Rincon 680 PGM-FI Unit out on a MUV-700 to gain the extra 2,500RPM and extra speed the computer for the Rincon 680 offers? I'm helping a friend build his 2009 MUV-700 that he bought brand new loaded to the gills with all the OEM Options. I did a lot of research and I found out that the MUV-700 UTV and the Rincon 680 ATV are just about the same in every way except for the Body/Chassis, rear end is geared 2 teeth higher, and the PGM-FI Unit has the Rev/Speed Limiter set at 2,500 RPM Higher than the MUV-700's.

So I talked him into taking a $544.89 gamble and we bought a new PGM-FI Unit for a 2009 Honda Rincon 680 to go on the 2009 Big Red MUV-700 with hopes that it would solve the 38mph top speed issue. It came in today and everything plugged right up but it wont fire. Does anybody know what I can do to make this work? This MUV-700 has some serious money put in it, a lot of nice parts, and a lot of work. So far we've done the following mods and upgrades:

• Custom Stainless Steel Head Pipe Made that starts out 1.5" then swells and steps up to 1.75". We Replaced all the OEM Heat Shields with Big Gun's Universal Large Heat Shields (3).
    • Big Gun Slip On Exhaust System for MUV-700.
    • Bored Throttle Body to 45mm.
    • EHS Air Box Lid Insert w/ K&N Filter and Outerwear's Filter.
    • Dynatek FI Fuel Controller.
    • Dynatek Coil Kit
    • Accel 8mm Race Wire.
    • NGK-IX Iridium Spark Plug.
    • CNC Port and Polished Head w/ +1 Oversize Delwest Stainless Steel Valves.
    • Webcam w/ HD Dual Valve Spring Kit.
    • 715cc Big Bore Kit with 11.5:1 High Compression Piston.
    • Custom Made Hinged Roll Cage with Spare Tire Mount (Dump Bed Still Usable)
    • 12X10 Badlands Beadlock Aluminum Wheels.
    • 26X12-R12 Balanced Dirt Devil II Rear Tires.
    • 26X10-R12 Balanced Dirt Devil II Front Tires.
    • Elka Stage II UTV Shocks.
    • .5" Billet Wheels Spacers.

This thing looks awesome and VERY Sporty with the visual upgrades he added and it runs strong to 40mph, and I mean QUICK but it still wont go a mile over 40mph because the computer is limiting it. I told hime to buy a $135.00 Magnum Tuning Revolution-Pro CDI and REV/Speed Limiter Box was a SCAM, and it destroyed the factory MUV-700 PGM-FI Unit. Now I've talked him into buying the PGM-FI Unit for the Rincon 680 and it wont allow the MUV-700 to start. I feel like a pile of crap because I told him I was 95% sure it would work and it didn't. My buddy is 62yrs old and his neighbor has a new John Deere Gator RSX850i Sport UTV that runs around 55mph on top end. He eats the Gator up until he hits 40mph and then the Gator fly's by him like he's tied to a tree! They do a lot of country road cruising and he wants to beat him so bad.

He ask me for help because I've built a lot of 2 and 4 stroke sport quads or the years so I told him what he needed to do thinking Dynatek made a Dyna-FS Controller that would eliminate the limiters. Almost all the performance Parts we've used were actually made for the Rincon 680 ATV, so i figured the ECM would interchange too.

He's not mad at me and he says he's not giving up he's going to build the worlds fastest Honda Big Red MUV-700 and I think he's well on his way IF we can get the safety features off it and get a decent timing tunes in the PGM-FI Unit. If we can figure this out he says he's going to stroke it and do a few other mods like the Rincon 680 3rd Gear (thats 2 or 4 teeth higher for more top speed). I wan't to load up some videos on here if we can get it going again...PLEASE help me out if you have ANY ideas what so ever on how to get the Rincon 680 PGM-FI Unit to work or get the speed and rev limiter out of this thing.

Thanks Guy's,
    Thack82

Super Mod
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2009 Honda Rincon 680/Big Red MUV-700 PGM-FI Unit Swap- PLEASE HELP

wonder if a true stand alone computer system like the Tune Monster for can-ams could be configured for a single cyl application??

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I talked to a custom dyno tuner thats damn good on this kind of stuff and he has two different stand alone ECU/ECM options that would give you the sky as the limit on tuning. The ECM alone is $750-$1,000 depending on which one you buy and that doesn't included the fairly complicated wiring harness modification that would have to be done or the $350 Dyno Tuning Session that has to be done after the $750-$1,000 stand alone ECM/ECU has been purchased, the extensive Wiring Harness Modification, ect.

As of right now making the TRX-680 PGM-FI Unit work on the MUV-700 is the ONLY cost semi efficient way we're going to be able to get the extra 2,500RMP's (55mph+) we want out of the Big Red. Honda really has those limiters (top speed, RPM, reverse, and neutral) where their damn near impossible if not impossible to remove.

So I'm still looking for ANYONE ever heard of ANYBODY successfully getting these limiters removed on the MUV-700?
    and Why in the HELL doesn't sombody make Interfacing Tuning Software for the PGM-FI Units? I don't understand why somebody hasn't, all of Honda's New Fuel Injected Off-Road Vehicles come with a Keihin PGM-FI Unit so you know the demand would be out there among the Honda guys. Anyway I'll keep you guys updated on the progress or lack of we make on this Honda Big Red "MUV-700R" Build. If we can get this figured out were home free. I really do think this thing will blow peoples minds when they see how good it is actually capable of performing and handling.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you made any progress with this? Did you figure out what was different between the Rincon and Big Red setups, and why the Rincon PGM-FI wouldn't fire?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've done some research, I've compared the harnesses and they're very different. If I can get my friend on board, he owns the 2013 Big red, (I have a polaris) I was going to see if he wanted to swap out his entire harness for the Rincon 680 harness, add the dash and hand controls to see if it worked. Then I did some more digging, and it also looks like the rectifier, alternator and throttle body are also different, maybe even the flywheel, so there are a lot more differences than there are similarities. You're looking at about $2k for OEM parts, or about $1000/$1200 in ebay parts. If it was mine I would have already tried it. I would love to have the manual shifting and ESP options, as well as the dash cluster, and of course the raised rpm limit.