Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Flat Track

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Flat Track

I've never had much of a taste for flat track racing as a spectator, but Saturday night changed that. I took my son out to a local track to spectate, as I have a few friends who participate at the "club" level. We had an absolute blast, watching everything from kids on 50s to young men on custom framers to old guys on vintage 2-strokers. The racing was fast, furious, and highly competitive.

The highlight of the night was watching Cory "Shrimp" Richard, a Cajun kid from southwest Louisiana. This kid is only 12 years old, about 4.5 feet tall, and weighs about 70lbs dripping wet. You'll never guess what he rides...a fricking CRF450R! And he runs in the "pro" class! And this ain't no detuned 450...it's modded as much as the rules will allow. The bike is lowered, of course, as it's setup for flat track, but it's no lower suspension-wise than any other bike out there. The only thing they've done to accomodate his lack of height is to dish the seat. His biggest disadvantage is that, on the starting line, he has to hang off to one side to hold the bike up. Once that little sucker gets going, though, he takes no prisoners. He's on the podium in every race, and usually at the top of it. I'm waiting on some photos and video, and hope to get them posted here. Here's the only one I have at the moment, but it's poor quality...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Track-cory-richard.jpg  

johnnycrash

Re: Flat Track

My dad and I go to the TT races every year here in Springfield (home of the fastest dirt mile in the world). It's as good as racing gets in my opinion - the track is short and tight enough that the riders literally bang bars the whole way around the track. I think they hit about 80 mph peak.

Now on the mile track where they hit 130+ in the straights is just nuts - those guys have balls the size of basketballs. I also think it's cool that the old guys can still compete - Jay Springsteen is in his late 40's or older and would still make a decent showing as of just a couple of years ago.

Mojave954

That is some intense stuff. Good on this kid for getting out there and props to the parents for supporting him.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So how long ago did you find out about this other son of yours?

sheepofblue

I was never much for watching but in the ancient days when sheep roamed the dirt there was a 10yr old on an 80cc that could beat the 250cc A class guys We did an indoor event one time and he was not showing on radar because he was below it with a super small cross section when in a tuck.

FrenchieR6

That is so cool...

So, is your son hook now?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BDA116 View Post
    So how long ago did you find out about this other son of yours?
    As fast as he is, there ain't no way he's mine.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieR6 View Post

So, is your son hook now?
    Very much so.

FrenchieR6

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Very much so.

Oh Yeah........awesome

DevilDawg

I enjoy watching the Grnad National Kickoff at the old stadium in Daytona as much as the 200. My best friend (and son's godfather) used to race professionally back in the late 70's and early 80's in both flat track and road courses. He got me hooked on the limestone sport and someday I hope to take a few laps doing that. I got my time around Daytona. Now I'd like to put my foot down.

sheepofblue

While historic Daytona's track sucks, I bet you will find it more fun if you start somewhere else