What leathers to buy...
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What leathers to buy...

1st954luke

What leathers to buy...

Ok Guru's I'm finally in a position to purchase my leathers. I have some question though.

1. What brand do you recommend? Leaning toward the AGV Talon
    2. Should I get a two piece or a one piece. I'm favoring a two piece.
    3.Since there are not any local shops that have them in stock so I can try them on, who has the best return policy without a restocking fee. Due to my unique figure I'm not up to those sizing charts.
    4. Oh, I'm wanting to stay in a reasonable price range.
    5. Has anyone dealt with "Syed Leathers" in Orlando?

Thanks for you input.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What leathers to buy...

Most of my gear is Alpinestars and I love it.
    Will these be track leathers, street leathers or dual purpose? I have a one piece and have worn it on the street and on the track, it was great for both.

Rios929

I have a 2-piece Alpinestars GPU. Got it for around $500 from CalSportbike.com, one of the site's sponsors. I like it a lot, but haven't crashed in it yet, but others who have said it holds up well.

I do kinda wish I would have gotten a one piece...Everytime I start to take the pants off I end up leaving them on because I think twice about not having my legs protected.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

CBRVFR

Quote Originally Posted by 1st954luke
    Due to my unique figure I'm not up to those sizing charts.
    4. Oh, I'm wanting to stay in a reasonable price range.
    5. Has anyone dealt with "Syed Leathers" in Orlando?
    If the "off the shelf, Euro boy model" sizes don't do it, go to Barnacle Bill for a well made, gp-armored suit made for you, with your choice of colors and knee sliders. Just under a grand. As good as anything out there for twice the $.

http://www.racingleather.com/

I know some people who race with SYED leathers. They generally like them and are confident in their crash-worthiness. Some of them have said they were better in the old days, but everything was....'cept the bikes.

I agree with ND4 on the one-piece preference.

GhostRider

I have an AGV Apache and am VERY happy with it. 2pc is the way to go!

RPinOZ

I have Tiger Angel leathers which you can order made to measure via the web if you like. Mine are the lynx 2 sprint design. 2 piece zip together.
    Pros
    Excellent fit and quality
    Great customer service
    Reasonable price

Cons
    Heavyish around 11lb including kneepucks which must have a fair bit of metal in them as they must weigh about a pound each
    Hot in anything above 25C if you have to stop for a while
    Had to send them back once for fit adjustment but that was my bad - optimistic measuring

I haven't crash tested them.
    Last edited by RPinOZ; 02-10-2005 at 11:49 PM.

bwhip

One piece would definitely be safer in the event of an unexpected getoff, but if you have an "unusual figure" like you mentioned, a one piece probably wouldn't fit very well. A custom one piece is definitely the ultimate, but can be pretty expensive. The two piece option is okay, especially if they can be zipped together (most can). Look for real leather (compare the thicknesses), consider whether you want perforation to keep you cool in the summer, find out what kind of warranty they offer on seams, etc. Make sure that whatever gear you get is large enough to accommodate a proper back protector.

1st954luke

Thanks guys for all the input onm this matter. They will be for street use at first then I want to migrate to the track.

HondaGalToo

I find 2 piece suits more versatile for street use, as you can take the jacket off when you get to a lunch spot and not be wandering around with the top hanging down, or trying to tie the arms around your waist. If you are planning on getting to the track and decide on a 2-piece, make sure it has a full-circumferance zipper, not the kind that zips only across the back.

For track use, I prefer the protection a one-piece offers. I just find a one-piece more of a hassle for street use. Maybe it's a girl thing, because I'd have to take the entire thing off to pee?

Brands to check out: Alpinestars, Sidi, Taichi (off the rack). Custom, go with Barnacle Bill as CBRVFR said. Other good customs (but more $$$): Vanson, Helimot, Z-Leathers.

Newfie TLR

Quote Originally Posted by RPinOZ
    snip......
    Had to send them back once for fit adjustment but that was my bad - optimistic measuring
    At least he's honest!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RPinOZ
    snip......I haven't crash tested them.
    Let's hope that none of us ever have to.

Mille Man

Quote Originally Posted by 1st954luke
    Thanks guys for all the input onm this matter. They will be for street use at first then I want to migrate to the track.
    Call Bill at Motonation. (www.motonation.com) They are th new SPIDI distributor and are offering a 30% off deal on all SPIDI gear to Sportbike Track Time members for a very limited time.

I spoke with him yesterday and firmed up the deal You must mention Sportbike Track Time to get this deal.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mille Man; 02-11-2005 at 9:57 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mille Man
    Call Bill at Motonation. (www.motonation.com) They are th new SPIDI distributor and are offering a 30% off deal on all SPIDI gear to Sportbike Track Time members for a very limited time.

I spoke with him yesterday and firmed up the deal You must mention Sportbike Track Time to get this deal.

Good luck!
    How about 30% off SIDI too?

Diesel954

Ive seen a lot of guys using Syed at the track. Most of the had some type of rash on them but werent damaged. Ive seen some Joe Rocket, Teknic, and other cheaper brands not stand up to a crash. My two cents.

Mille Man

Quote Originally Posted by ConqSoft
    How about 30% off SIDI too?
    No can do. This would be in direct conflict with their dealer network. Sorry.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

save $75-100 right now http://www.vansonleathers.com/
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"