Did my family get ripped off? Arai Quantum II possible knock off
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did my family get ripped off? Arai Quantum II possible knock off

Scratch

Did my family get ripped off? Arai Quantum II possible knock off

Just curious. My family got together and bought me an Arai Quantum 2 helmet for Christmas. I know they got it online (not exactly from whom though other than it was from Utah?) and that's fine but I've heard before of some knockoffs floating around.

The reason I ask is that there's no chin spoiler on this Quantum 2. Anyone know if the 2's come with the retractable chin spoiler that both my quantum/e and quantum/f came with? Or was this feature no longer available on the Quantum 2? Not that I ever really used it but I'm sitting here fuming at the possibility that someone took advantage of my loved ones. The MC stores are closed right now and I lost Arai's phone # (probably closed now anyway) so I hope someone here could help me out and take a look at their quantum II's.

Also are these helmets painted or stickered and then clearcoated? On certain areas of the helmet where the color changes I can see pixels(?), in other words it's not a smooth transition. The box & documentation look good but I think you can find that stuff anywhere.

Didn't want to ruin the moment and start asking questions of who exactly they bought it from etc.

phobiaphobe

Re: Did my family get ripped off? Arai Quantum II possible knock off

I wouldn't trust anything from Utah.

Scratch

I understand your feelings in regards to bda. But a little more detailed help would be appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Scratch

Looking at the manual that came with it (coincidentally), it states that there should be a chin spoiler. Also on the inside of the helmet there's the warning sticker that states that spoiler should be pushed in before putting the helmet on (duh). So I dunno, this is either a factory 2nd or blemished item, or a complete knockoff. Now the question is what to do? Or what to do first?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get the name of the store.

sheepofblue

Arai site shows a spoiler are you sure there isn't one (never knew it was there or used mine on my arai for the longest time) Also check the born on date on the chin strap (most cheap helmets fail to put it on)

WetShrub

Arai doesn't sell their helmets online. Except for E-bay. You can't order them. If they bought it off e-bay then perhaps it is a fake.

Scratch

Quote Originally Posted by sheepofblue
    Arai site shows a spoiler are you sure there isn't one (never knew it was there or used mine on my arai for the longest time) Also check the born on date on the chin strap (most cheap helmets fail to put it on)
    sheep-

I looked very closely for it and the spoiler isn't there. This would be my 4th Arai, I hardly (if ever) used that spoiler but still, it's supposed to be there. Believe me I was hoping to find it! Yes there's a born-on date, it's sewn into the chin strap with a tag, my previous Arai's had it stamped into the actual leather(?) of the chin strap. Things that make you go "hmmm".

Quote Originally Posted by WetShrub
    Arai doesn't sell their helmets online. Except for E-bay. You can't order them. If they bought it off e-bay then perhaps it is a fake.
    I'm also aware of this but I thought that they recently changed their policy and resumed selling online? Just something I heard not really sure on this one.

Guess I'll have to call the fam and give 'em the bad news, really didn't want to do this but.... Was thinking of maybe calling Arai first and seeing if I can resolve this w/o making anyone feel like crap for being duped. But as BDA pointed out I don't think I'll get anywhere until I know the business name & phone # of the place they got the helmet from.

I'm steaming though, thoroughly upset.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You need to call the dealer. Arai is not going to be much help if you bought it online.

Scratch

I didn't buy it.

WetShrub

You would think if it is a fake that Arai would be interested in finding where it came from.....or maybe that's why they have the no internet sales policy. So they don't have to deal with it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch
    I didn't buy it.
    I understand.

But unless the person who bought it is going to be following up on this, you will be the one making the calls.

Scratch

I hear ya LTL. I've got a call in to Arai right now, left them a message, just waiting to hear back.

johnny mac

Check to see if there is a Snell sticker inside. If there is you should be fine. If it came from Utah check motofrugals.com I believe they sell Arai helmets cheap.

Getsome

So did they call you back yet? Get the name, address of the people they got it from or anything? From reading all you have posted I am thinking the deal was kosher..... Hope you get it all figured out.

Scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Getsome
    So did they call you back yet? Get the name, address of the people they got it from or anything? From reading all you have posted I am thinking the deal was kosher..... Hope you get it all figured out.
    Yep I talked to Arai, they told me to go ahead and send the helmet over to 'em so they could check it out. They should have it by Tues. at the latest. Yeah I found out who they got it from but don't want to post anything until I hear back from Arai. Once I know what's going on, and if there was any funny business involved I will be sure to post up any related info that could possibly save someone else a headache.

Thanks Getsome I hope I get it figured out too. Who would of thought I'd be stressing over a helmet during the winter time but bikes are on my brain 24/7/365. And if something isn't right, no matter how small, I don't sleep very well. Honestly the only thing that leads me to believe that it was either a mistake by Arai or that it's a fake is that frickin' chin spoiler. I called a friend of mine who's a successful club racer as well as a parts mgr. at a dealership and he informed me that the Quantum II's are indeed supposed to have that chin spoiler. So that got me all worked up.

The good news is that Arai is a class act co. They fully understood my concerns and instead of dicking around told me to just send them the helmet and if there's a problem they'll work with me to get it resolved. They seem hell bent on customer satisfaction and it's refreshing to see a company that's concerned about their customers and reputation.

If this was a fake, my feelings could best be described by Butters from South Park:

"There's gonna be heck to pay, heck I tell ya!"

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch
    The good news is that Arai is a class act co. They fully understood my concerns and instead of dicking around told me to just send them the helmet and if there's a problem they'll work with me to get it resolved. They seem hell bent on customer satisfaction and it's refreshing to see a company that's concerned about their customers and reputation.

Actualy, its probaly their lawyers and PR people who get worked up over a safty product bearing their name not being up to their standards. i doubt its the lost sale that bothers them, rather the lawsuits and bad press if a helmet perceved to be an Arai fails miserably and someone gets hurt. I hope you get it figured out, while it sucks your family may have gotten scammed, it better you find out now than when if you smack your noggin on the pavement wearing an inferior, cheap knockoff.

Scratch

G-

I'm sure that plays into it. Regardless I'd just like to know if it's a fake. If Arai handles it (for whatever reason) then I'll be satisfied. It's not the first time I've called Arai for customer service. Even when I contacted them regarding something minor in the past they always made me feel like they were on it and resolved things quickly.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought my Arai QII directly from the Arai rep at the Chicago show last year. They have a discount for NESBA members, I think I remember you posting about doing a NESBA day before. The three attached pics are of my QII chinbar. There should be a warning sticker on the inside of the chinbar telling you to put the spoiler back up into the chinbar before putting the helmet on (duh). The sticker on mine is partially covered up by velcro (chatterbox mic mounting). I don't think this one extends as far as my Q/F did.
    Last edited by evl_twn; 12-17-2006 at 1:51 PM.

HondaGalToo

Yes, do keep us posted. Good that Arai wants to check it out. That reminds me, I've gotta get a new helmet before the riding season starts, as mine had it's fifth birthday this past October! Hmmm, what to get? It'll either be an Arai Corsair or a Shoei X-11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast