Fat guy on a Blade.
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat guy on a Blade.

Pulski

Fat guy on a Blade.

Ok, so I'm not huge, but I'm not cut like your average sport biker. I'm trying to find options for leathers, but am having difficulties. I can get a leather jacket no problem, but finding a "sport" jacket with armor, kevlar, things of that nature, that is built for me is next to impossible. Almost every sizing chart I find has a much smaller belly than chest, and that doesn't work for me. Maybe they'd fit, but that's a lot of money to mail order, and none of the shops around here carry anything big enough for me to try on. (I believe I'm a 54 in a standard jacket.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look, or what to look for? I've thought about finding somewhere to get a 2-piece suit done up custom (Vanson?), but I don't even want to think about how much that would probably cost to have done. I need the jacket at a minimum, but I'd like the full 2-piece to do a track day in the fall.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated to help cure me of squidliness.

HondaGalToo

Re: Fat guy on a Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulski
    Ok, so I'm not huge, but I'm not cut like your average sport biker. I'm trying to find options for leathers, but am having difficulties. I can get a leather jacket no problem, but finding a "sport" jacket with armor, kevlar, things of that nature, that is built for me is next to impossible. Almost every sizing chart I find has a much smaller belly than chest, and that doesn't work for me. Maybe they'd fit, but that's a lot of money to mail order, and none of the shops around here carry anything big enough for me to try on. (I believe I'm a 54 in a standard jacket.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look, or what to look for? I've thought about finding somewhere to get a 2-piece suit done up custom (Vanson?), but I don't even want to think about how much that would probably cost to have done. I need the jacket at a minimum, but I'd like the full 2-piece to do a track day in the fall.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated to help cure me of squidliness.
    You're in MA, so I'd take a drive over to Vanson. A custom suit is probably between $1200-1400, depending on the options. It's money well spent, and it'll last years. That's not a bad price when you consider that the top shelf off the rack stuff isn't really much less. Sure, there's some good $800 deals to be found occasionally, but probably in limited sizes.

Other good custom options are Z-Leathers and Barnacle Bills. Vanson's just in your state. I'm probably heading up there this weekend for alterations on mine.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im 6'4 and 315lbs. I wear a Joe Rocket Speedmaster Jacket paired with Fieldsheer pants. Works well (crash-tested).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat guy on a Blade.-barbersmall.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Pulski

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
    You're in MA, so I'd take a drive over to Vanson. A custom suit is probably between $1200-1400, depending on the options. It's money well spent, and it'll last years. That's not a bad price when you consider that the top shelf off the rack stuff isn't really much less. Sure, there's some good $800 deals to be found occasionally, but probably in limited sizes.

Other good custom options are Z-Leathers and Barnacle Bills. Vanson's just in your state. I'm probably heading up there this weekend for alterations on mine.
    That or a little higher is what I was expecting to see for a price. It's most likely what I'll do, but I was hoping to see what other options I have. Vanson has been on my list of places to check out, but unless Uncle Sam is really good to me, I'm going to just have to deal with a plain leather jacket for a while.

Pulski

Quote Originally Posted by NinerPilot
    Im 6'4 and 315lbs. I wear a Joe Rocket Speedmaster Jacket paired with Fieldsheer pants. Works well (crash-tested).
    6'-0 - 6'1", 310. I'll look into those though.

SuperDave

Yea, I'm about 6'-5" to 6'-6" around 370 and the Joe Rocket's do the trick.

phobiaphobe

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave
    Yea, I'm about 6'-5" to 6'-6" around 370 and the Joe Rocket's do the trick.
    https://www.pioneerforums.com/forums/414220-post2.html

CBRVFR

Barnacle Bill Leathers make excellent custom suits.

www.racingleather.com

Average Suit Prices:

Drag racing suit. $600-$1,000

Road racing suit. $800-$1,200

Street 1 piece . $950-$1,375

Flat track $600-750.00

Unless you're Steven Segal. The cows refuse to protect him because he thinks he can slap Bruce Lee into another dimension. Cows are admittedly dumb, bit they're not THAT dumb. Sheesh.

phobiaphobe

No cow I know would ever disgrace its hide by wrapping it around Steven Seagal. And I know a lot of cows. It would take a lot of cows to clothe Chuck Norris' 10 foot frame, but he doesn't need leather. If he falls off his motorcycle, the road better be wearing its protective gear.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
    No cow I know would ever disgrace its hide by wrapping it around Steven Seagal. And I know a lot of cows. It would take a lot of cows to clothe Chuck Norris' 10 foot frame, but he doesn't need leather. If he falls off his motorcycle, the road better be wearing its protective gear.
    thats great. Bruce Lee can still kick his ass even from the grave.

Pulski, Vanson is a few hours away from you but easy to get to atleast. Get to 95 south to 93N (you actually don't even get of the highway, just stay where you are) then 24S to 79S to 138S (those 3 are basically just a straight shot), it'll be on your right. You'll practically go right by me.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got a 50 Fieldsheer jacket and a pair of their "relaxed fit" pants to fit my big butt. The pants don't fit as well around the knees but I have crash tested them and they held up. I took them to Syed to have them repaired and low and behold, they had a suit that fit me on the rack. I passed on it since it was a one piece for only $750. I know, I blew a great deal on a suit that fit me like a glove.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe

Chuck Norris doesn't wear leather, he is leather, and if he wasn't, his beard deflects ALL anyway!

Joe Rocket fits the taller/ bigger guys (*ahem*) so I'm told . Give some of the "off the shelf" stuff a chance before you go custom and spend a bundle.

Pulski

"Off the shelf" is tough because nowhere around here really carries much in the way of big guy gear. For the JR stuff, it's XL or 50 at the biggest, which didn't fit. I'm almost positive a 54 jacket WILL fit, but I'm afraid to drop that much on something mail order, just to send it back. Once it starts getting warmer, I will probably journey in hopes of finding something on a rack that I can try on and actually fit.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go through Newenough.com. They're pretty good about working with you on sizing issues.

HondaGalToo

Vanson also has off the rack stuff, so you might not necessarily have to go custom. Also check out Alpinestars and RS Taichi for off the rack. I was up at Vanson last weekend and they seemed to have a decent selection of stuff to try on.

Pulski

Yeah... My girlfriend is heading south for four days so I may try to take a trip out there this weekend.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
    Vanson also has off the rack stuff, so you might not necessarily have to go custom. Also check out Alpinestars and RS Taichi for off the rack. I was up at Vanson last weekend and they seemed to have a decent selection of stuff to try on.
    and you didn't even give me a shout to go get lunch or anything. I think I got out of work early on saturday too, but I forget.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

HondaGalToo

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE
    and you didn't even give me a shout to go get lunch or anything. I think I got out of work early on saturday too, but I forget.
    Ah, bummer. Didn't realize Randolph was near Fall River...
    It was a windy, crappy rainy day and I had the dog with me 'cause I couldn't leave him home alone that long.

sheepofblue

I am not tall but am a tad wooly and my Joe Rocket GPX fits decent (I remove the back protector that comes with it and use a Alpinestars).

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pulski
    6'-0 - 6'1", 310.
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerPilot
    Im 6'4 and 315lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave
    I'm about 6'-5" to 6'-6" around 370
    Can I hang with you guys? I'm wiry at 6'3, 254.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast