Leather's hump.
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Leather's hump.

onevcs

Leather's hump.

What's the purpose of the "hump" on the leathers?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Leather's hump.

1. Aero
    2. Safety-Some limit helmet movement to the rear/padding (main reason I always get them)
    3. Looks

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolean
    1. Aero
    2. Safety-Some limit helmet movement to the rear/padding (main reason I always get them)
    3. Looks
    Those are the ones I know of. However, as far as the safety, I'm not sure I buy it. How many backboards have holes cut out to fit your hump in it? So you then rely on either the trackworker/EMS personel to cut off the hump or rig up some sort of support to put under you neck/head...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's to store water for that long trek across the desert.

phobiaphobe

lovely lady lumps

tikki50

Well actually I know Duhamel had a suit on at the Daytona 200 (I think) that had an air blower system attached to it. It sat on the hump and blew air into the suit, so I guess there are other uses for it.

I always thought it was for the dog, when you toss your leathers down on the couch he comes up goes to town on the hump! So your dog is busy doing the humpty hump on your leathers! LOL. "Damit Rex quit humping my hump, you sick little bastard!"

onevcs

Thanks for the responses . It looks to me like they've been getting bigger latetly . I just though there'd be something more to it...

tnarinen

Quote Originally Posted by TraumaOne
    Those are the ones I know of. However, as far as the safety, I'm not sure I buy it. How many backboards have holes cut out to fit your hump in it? So you then rely on either the trackworker/EMS personel to cut off the hump or rig up some sort of support to put under you neck/head...
    I see your point but my hump seemed to do pretty ok job keeping my head from twisting back when I was modding my Z-One helmet to look like this

http://www.mp-foorumi.com/gallery/pf...0a58ee16b6cba9

Highsided at about 65-70 mph, did a short superman imitation, landed pretty much head first, broke a wrist on landing, got a pile of bruises but my neck was not even sore (or there was so much pain elsewhere I did not notice).

I remember seeing backboards that actually have cutouts for hump but like said I would not bet much $$$ they are found on all track days. But from my own experience, a hump for me thank you.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some other uses:

Helimot ventilates it and you put a wet towl in there for a swamp cooler effect.

GP guys are starting to put bladders in there for drinks, I've also seen radios put in there.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tnarinen
    I see your point but my hump seemed to do pretty ok job keeping my head from twisting back when I was modding my Z-One helmet to look like this
    Oh yeah, forgot to address that one.

It depends on the hump but with suits that do and don't have them, I've noticed a difference. Your head goes back less. It also gives more protection to those fragile upper vertebra, and is more likely to keep them from impacting the track.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is all no good unless the pt can be strapped to a back board with in-line cervical stabilization. If there are hump-holed back boards, then that is exactly the kind of specialized equipment we do need... I'm not an EMT so I don't have much knowledge in this kind of thing...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tnarinen

http://www.mp-foorumi.com/gallery/pf...0a58ee16b6cba9

Highsided at about 65-70 mph, did a short superman imitation, landed pretty much head first, broke a wrist on landing, got a pile of bruises but my neck was not even sore (or there was so much pain elsewhere I did not notice).

I remember seeing backboards that actually have cutouts for hump but like said I would not bet much $$$ they are found on all track days. But from my own experience, a hump for me thank you.
    ouch...

for the record, my spidi proto-1 has a hump

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TraumaOne
    That is all no good unless the pt can be strapped to a back board with in-line cervical stabilization. If there are hump-holed back boards, then that is exactly the kind of specialized equipment we do need... I'm not an EMT so I don't have much knowledge in this kind of thing...
    Peep this pic, particularly Melandri, who as I understand it injured his neck: Soup :: Catalunya MotoGP Images
    Either there is a new way to transport, these guys are complete idiots, or there was an issue with that hump.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BDA116
    Peep this pic, particularly Melandri, who as I understand it injured his neck: Soup :: Catalunya MotoGP Images
    Either there is a new way to transport, these guys are complete idiots, or there was an issue with that hump.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah... and that is the pros...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So doc, what does all this medical mumbo jumbo about Melandri mean?
    The Official MotoGP Website

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BDA116
    So doc, what does all this medical mumbo jumbo about Melandri mean?
    The Official MotoGP Website
    they have owies...

SOunds like Loris has some kind of subdural or intraparenchymal injury. Basically a closed head injury. The other stuff sounds like bumps a nd bruises. Luckily no fractures are mentioned. They are going to be out for awhile I would think. What happened? I missed the race.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by tikki50
    Well actually I know Duhamel had a suit on at the Daytona 200 (I think) that had an air blower system attached to it. It sat on the hump and blew air into the suit, so I guess there are other uses for it.

Actually, the external "pit" blower, which are also used at MotoGP level, attaches to a motorized, fan equipped back protector, which also has cooling bladders which can be taken out and frozen, for a radiator effect-

-they get all the cool toys.