anyone have this helmet and like it??
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: anyone have this helmet and like it??

HondaForLife954

anyone have this helmet and like it??

Icon Mainframe Halo Gloss Helmet - Motorcycle Superstore

i am thinking of buying it....yeah or neah???

drooger

Re: anyone have this helmet and like it??

I have an icon mainframe rubitone matte black. Love the Fit and look of the helmet but the matte finish rubs off pretty easy, I just use water to get the bugs off but the finish changes texture, the only drawback. If I were to buy one again I would go with a gloss finish, much easyer to clean.

sinfuldragon

sharp looking helmet, and a good price

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

JeepinJeff

fwiw, icon got a good JD Power rating.

Motorcycle Helmet Ratings | J.D. Power

beast351

i bought one for me and one for the wife from them a few weeks ago. the cheek pads were painfully tight, but after keeping them under a heavy weight over night, we love them!

HondaForLife954

thanks for the replies, i just ordered mine!

Okami

icon... hmm, I sorta gave away all my icon gear lol.
    FOR FREE

HondaForLife954

Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    icon... hmm, I sorta gave away all my icon gear lol.
    FOR FREE

So what your saying is you bought one of those expensive ICON helmets didnt like it and since mommy and daddy give you whatever you want you gave it away for free.....

Okami

Quote Originally Posted by HondaForLife954 View Post
    So what your saying is you bought one of those expensive ICON helmets didnt like it and since mommy and daddy give you whatever you want you gave it away for free.....
    lol it's funny you mentioned, my mother and father kicked me out of the house at 19 when I purchased my bike! I'm 20 and i buy my own stuff, that includes my bike and gear.
    and in my opinion icon gear is garbage... sorta fits your attitude.
    Last edited by Okami; 05-04-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Okami

Don't get me wrong I have gone down twice with 2 icon helmets, and they saved my head- thats what any helmet is good for, but if your thing is boots that fall apart, helmets that don't breathe and half naked chicks on leather jacket then ICON is for you!

I commuted 24k miles last year with all my icon gear, and I'm only telling you this because I have tested it; don't waste your money, you can find higher grade helmets that breathe and don't turn you into a wobble head for about the same price, if not less.

HondaForLife954

fare enough....im glade you pay for your own **** cause i have been doing that since i was 16....work blows oh well....well ill keep that in mind next time i buy gear....

right now i have a HJC and a KBC helm and the HJC is loud as ****...KBC is better but im gonna try the icon and if i dont like it ill send it back.... the thing is shoei and arai dont fit my head very well... and where i live i have to drive about 2 hrs to get to a good motorcycle store so its hard to try **** on....

Okami

fare enough....im glade you pay for your own **** cause i have been doing that since i was 16....work blows oh well....well ill keep that in mind next time i buy gear....

right now i have a HJC and a KBC helm and the HJC is loud as ****...KBC is better but im gonna try the icon and if i dont like it ill send it back.... the thing is shoei and arai dont fit my head very well... and where i live i have to drive about 2 hrs to get to a good motorcycle store so its hard to try **** on....
    KBC helmets are great for the price, I borrowed a friends for a month or two until replacing the ICON, not sure what model it was but it had a war plane design too it... it was great, considering the price... it never fogged like the mainframe icon, and it keeps my head steady under heavy wind, I would compare it to my spec-1r Suomy if only It had a visor lock.

I was telling myself to eventually buy a KBC but I ended up finding a good deal on a Arai Quantum F

Another thing to be careful of, after broken in, the Icon mainframe helmet visor has the tendency to fly open "sometimes flies off" at speeds of 60mph+ when looking back.

HondaForLife954

Thanks for the info ill keep that in mind

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wear earplugs and all helmets instantly get quiet.

Fastrr

I almost forgot about the boble-head helmet effect. Scorpion = quiet, no bobble head, excellent quality and finish. Only thing I would like to know is how has Scorpion done in actuall crashes? I have the 700 model. I'll probably buy another one and hopefully a Shoei or Arai as a primary use helmet.

HJC.. i have to agree is a very noisy helmet. I hate them and imo they are junk.

HondaForLife954

well i got my icon helmet and so far i have enjoyed it. The cold mornings in the mountains tend to fog the screen up but it is much quieter than my hjc and kbc. the kbc is very good about the foggyness. but it is all around a descent for the price. the padding like said before this is tough but the longer i wear it the better it gets. havent tried a scorpion but ill put that on the list to try

SpikedLemon

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinJeff View Post
    fwiw, icon got a good JD Power rating.

Motorcycle Helmet Ratings | J.D. Power
    If KBC or HJC make Icon; how does Icon get a higher rating?

I don't put much faith in JDPower.

tootall

when riding with visor up on my kbc if the wind catches the vents right it makes a crazy loud whistle sound.... first time it happend it scared the hell out of me! as far as that icon you are lookin at, i think i would spend i little more money to get more quality.....i got a good deal on my kbc, but next time i'll spend a little extra cash for a Shoei or Suomy

tootall

just saw the date on this...wow im late! nvmind

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tootall only a month late, thats not too bad. its the ones that are brought back like 3 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemon View Post
    If KBC or HJC make Icon; how does Icon get a higher rating?

I don't put much faith in JDPower.

I believe its HJC that makes the Icon helmets. HJC also makes the new Joe Rocket helmets. having had an HJC and gone to a Suomy, you really get what you pay for. The infamous helmet article in Motorcyclist proved money doesn't mean it protects better. the extra money is for the creature comforts (more aerodynamic, more comfortable liners, better venting, etc.)

other than that I've seen everything else Icon makes fall apart (gloves, boots, jackets). thankfully none of it was mine and thankfully it wasn't a crash that caused them to fall apart.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"