**Top HELMETS........Any Idea's??????**
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: **Top HELMETS........Any Idea's??????**

santanaea5785

**Top HELMETS........Any Idea's??????**

I was just wondering what are some good quality helmets around? I've owned and used HJC, Zox, Nitro, Vega, etc. I just ordered a KBC tk-9. I was wondering what helmets are best for quality and safety. Thanks for the help.

1 thing I wanted to add, WHERE can I get those top grade helmets(Shoei, arai, suomy, agv, etc) cheap online? paying 4 to $600 is just rediculous.
    Last edited by santanaea5785; 02-28-2008 at 3:56 AM.

-Z-

Re: **Top HELMETS........Any Idea's??????**

You're not gonna have much luck getting a new Shoei, Arai, AGV, etc for less than 400-600 bucks....Sorry, but in my personal opinion, it really is a case of "you get what you pay for"...Most of the more expensive helmets are made from lighter stronger materials than the thermoplastic shell that your TK-9 is made of. For example, a fiberglass shell is better than a thermoplastic shell because whereas the plastic will break and then be completely done, fiberglass flexes and bends then breaks, kinda like a tree branch. If you ever take a tree branch and bend it until it breaks, you'll see that it takes a lot of energy for it to actually tear. Once it does, yes there is a break in the branch, but the fibers that make up the tree branch still have all their strength still. You can't get that sort of thing with plastic.

The other thing is, a lot of times the benefits of a "better" helmet aren't just how well of an impact it takes. Lighter weight helmets create less strain on your neck. Lighter materials are more expensive. Quieter helmets leave you more comfortable. Sound-deadening material isn't free. Well ventilated helmets require a fair bit of engineering and testing to actually perform as hoped for. All that work isn't free. Helmets with removable interiors can be cleaned up a lot more easily and faster than helmets without removable lining. The system to hold the lining in place but also allow it to be removed isn't free either.

Pretty much any company can make a helmet that survives certain impacts per DOT or Snell standard. Not every such helmet though will actually be comfortable to wear.

I say this, not to belittle your choice of helmet or to crush your hopes of finding a top grade helmet at a really good price, but to maybe shed some light on why these top grade helmets actually cost as much as they do.

Another way to look at it though, would be like this. Of all the gear that you could possibly wear when you ride, the only thing that protects your brain is the helmet. So you kinda got to ask yourself, how much is your brain really worth to you?

sammae01

One of the main factors when buying a helmet other than its quality is its fit. Many different manufacturers make different shaped helmets to fit different shaped heads. I personally tried on and previously owned a few helmets ranging from Zr1,Vemar, and Shoi. But it was when I happened to pick up and try on my brothers Arai RX7 corsair that I didn't know how well a helmet could fit. It conformed to my head better than my previous helmets and was extremely light. So I too am trying to find a helmet for a reasonable price. But Since I want my next helmet to be the Colin Edwards Valencia I will be hard pressed to find it for cheap, if at all.

If you find a place for cheap higher end helmets let me know

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by sammae01 View Post
    One of the main factors when buying a helmet other than its quality is its fit...But it was when I happened to pick up and try on my brothers Arai RX7 corsair that I didn't know how well a helmet could fit. It conformed to my head better than my previous helmets and was extremely light.

Yeah, I've used of budget helmets from both KBC and HJC in the past, but once I actually tried on a couple of high-end helmets, the difference just amazed me. I use a Shark RSR2 now. I think the final selling point on that one for me was the whole "crumple-zone" technology that they incorporate in it.

Of course, the one with graphics I have retails for almost $700. If I could find it at a much lower price without sacrificing quality, I'd definitely buy another just to have as a spare!

nedro

Helmet Harbor usually has the best prices. If they're too expensive, buy a car.
    Home | Helmet Harbor

CBR400RR

I was just wondering what are some good quality helmets around? I've owned and used HJC, Zox, Nitro, Vega, etc. I just ordered a KBC tk-9.
    I personnaly wouldn't waste my money on any of those or risk my life as to me my life and head are worth a lot more. I think Arai, AGV, Shoei, Suomy are some of the best you can buy and you do get what you pay for. I use an Arai RX7 corsair and it's the best helmet I have ever used.

oldnslow

Quote Originally Posted by CBR400RR View Post
    I personnaly wouldn't waste my money on any of those or risk my life as to me my life and head are worth a lot more. I think Arai, AGV, Shoei, Suomy are some of the best you can buy and you do get what you pay for.

D.Nac

Quote Originally Posted by nedro View Post
    Helmet Harbor usually has the best prices. If they're too expensive, buy a car.
    Home | Helmet Harbor
    on Helmet harbor. Go to the website and read the reviews. They will tell you what features you are spending money for. There is a reason some helmets cost more, part it is image but, that is a small part. In my opnion the Shoei X11 is the best helmet made, but you cant go worng with Arai.
    Last edited by D.Nac; 02-28-2008 at 3:24 PM.

MadnohB

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    You're not gonna have much luck getting a new Shoei, Arai, AGV, etc for less than 400-600 bucks....Sorry, but in my personal opinion, it really is a case of "you get what you pay for"...Most of the more expensive helmets are made from lighter stronger materials......

.......Another way to look at it though, would be like this. Of all the gear that you could possibly wear when you ride, the only thing that protects your brain is the helmet. So you kinda got to ask yourself, how much is your brain really worth to you?
    - Z – has it pretty much spot on.

With 5 riders in the family we go through a lot of helmets and I’m not even going to state how many are in use but trust me if I say, we can give a good account of the better helmets. Two names regularly surface as the top brands namely Shoei and Arai and if you can, go for the top of the respective ranges.

Shoei – X11 (X-spirit) and Arai RX7 Corsair………..but they are not cheap

personal preference - Shoei X-spirit (X11)

Certain brands, fit certain head shapes better. Therefore, first establish if you have an Arai or a Shoei head or for that matter any other brand.

Happy hunting
    Last edited by MadnohB; 02-28-2008 at 3:47 PM.

jenuinejohn

SHARK RSR FOR ME EVERY TIME

IRISH MIKE

Arai for me all day. Always have been always will be...However Ive been hearing good things about Shark's.

Bigtoe

Any full face helmet is better than no helmet. I'd rather see someone with a cheap ass $100 full face HJC than nothing at all. Sure the high end helmets are great. I have a few myself. But a helmet, any helmet, is only good for one impact. Then they are all trash.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jenuinejohn View Post
    SHARK RSR FOR ME EVERY TIME

After watching Corser getting nailed in the head by Barros during a WSBK race, Shark's stock went up for me

Doomwitha929

Said it befor and I'll say it again... SCORPIAN. I wore NOTHING but high line Shoei helmets for years. When I got a bike again last year I needed a new helmet but did not want to spend the $600 bucks give or take that I did in the post but did not want a "cheap" helmet. I cannot stand the fit, finish or look of the low line helmets. I was turned on to Scorpian helmets by friends at my local shop where I have gone for years. I was impressed with every aspect of the Scorpian helmets. Their construction is very much like Shoei helmets and the quality of construction is top notch. I have looked at pretty much every brand of helmet (even own a ROOF BOXER from the UK) and I believe Scorpian is the best deal for the money and as good as many helmets costing far more.

HondaForLife954

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    For example, a fiberglass shell is better than a thermoplastic shell because whereas the plastic will break and then be completely done, fiberglass flexes and bends then breaks, kinda like a tree branch. If you ever take a tree branch and bend it until it breaks, you'll see that it takes a lot of energy for it to actually tear. Once it does, yes there is a break in the branch, but the fibers that make up the tree branch still have all their strength still. You can't get that sort of thing with plastic.
    Composite-made up of disparate or separate parts or elements usually a fiber and a matrix.

The fibers in a carbonfiber/glassfiber/kevlar(a puncher resistant fiber) helmet are used to transfer the loads around your head on impact. The matrix which holds the fibers in that helmet shape, can be made of many things, themplastics or thermosets(ie plastic or epoxies). When a fiber breaks it no longer transfers the load in a composite. But the great thing about composites is that the matrix is able to transfer that load to other fibers. Like -Z- said a plain old Polycarbonate plastic helmet does not do this but if you add CF/GF/kevlar it will. The reason why a carbonfiber/glassfiber/kevlar cost so much is driven by a few things, material cost, manufacturing cost, graphics etc. Material cost and manufacturing cost in my mind is the reason these helmets cost so much. Carbonfiber can range from """15$-250$/lb""" depending on the type of fiber. Standard carbonfiber called AS4 is right around 25$/lb. Add epoxies and tooling and manufacturing supplies it starts to get $$pricey$$. I am not sure about the foam aspect of the helmet but there are 1000's of grades out there. I do believe it is much cheaper then the CF but still plays the biggest roll in the impact by crushing in stead of your head. Yes tests will say one helmet is better then the next but just having helmet is always better then none. Here in colorado we do not have the helmet law...i just dont see how people dont wear them. I feel naked without mine. Thats Why i never leave home with out it.

Now that thats out of the way....I have a KBC, HJC, and an ICON helmet. I really like the KBC bc its quite, does not fog, and it is comfortable. i hear scorpion helmets are awesome and might get one....but I might stay with another KBC this year. They are all budget helmets like every one has said and they do the job of protecting my head if i ever fall.

-Z- Not to pick on you but I deal with thermoplastic composites and they are just as good or better then thermoset composites. But your right a plain thermoplastic helmet is not as good as a composite one. But it is much cheaper and much easier to manufacture and tailors to us poor composite engineers who cant afford the high end helmets.....

late,

954rrforever

HondaForLife954

BTW if you guys ever need or feel the want to make your own carbonfiber parts heres a great website fiberglast.com

-Z-

Quote Originally Posted by HondaForLife954 View Post
    -Z- Not to pick on you but I deal with thermoplastic composites and they are just as good or better then thermoset composites. But your right a plain thermoplastic helmet is not as good as a composite one. But it is much cheaper and much easier to manufacture and tailors to us poor composite engineers who cant afford the high end helmets.....

You won't get any argument from me on that one.

Ninja95

good question to ask!! its all about what fits you best.

i have a AGV Rossi Replica R-X2 love it!! fit is great and it actually is the Lightest helmet on the market. its pretty quite compared to my Suomy.

cost me $500.00 on sale

rokitt51

If you ask me, top notch is just a name brand on a helmet. I dont too much signify shyt to me, although i like Shoei and Arai more than any other helmet... Its mostly because i can buy the helmet this year and two years doen the road its still snugg on my head, whereas i have tried most of the others and less than a year down the road the previous was not true. All of these helmets on the market have passed inspections and tests to be approved for road use.

Bigtoe

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja95 View Post
    its all about what fits you best.
    So True. If the helmet doesn't fit, it has no chance to do it's job.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast