Helmet sizing
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Helmet sizing

RLVampire

Helmet sizing

I have a Shoei (L) RF1000 and I was wondering how well the helmet should fit? I read the booklet but it doesn't really help me with my question.." I did read the booklet and went through all of the checklist but I am still slightly concerned" .. With the chin strap completely tightened and secured I cannot physically remove it by pushing it forward or backward.. however when I push it forward as hard as I can, my chin and the back of my head basically tight against the helmet and the strap is under my chin firmly keeping it from coming off. Is that a good fit because when I tried to put the medium on the last time I was in a shop I wasn't able to get the medium on.... I cannot spin the helmet on my head, it fits comfortably even with the strap tightened, should I give a medium another try even though I have passed the books checklist?? I cannot remove the helmet from any direction or with any amount of force, with the strap secured as the book instructed me to, even to the point where I was physically in pain I couldnt remove it...
    Last edited by RLVampire; 05-04-2008 at 9:08 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Helmet sizing

That's probably as good as you are goint to get then if you couldn't fit into a medium. Did you try other helmet brands to make sure that you actually have a "Shoei" head? I for example find Shoei helmets to be very comfortable and HJC AC series helmets fit very well. On the other hand Arai, HJC CL and CS helmets, and many others don't fit me very well, they seem to round. You want to match the shape of your head and the size of your head.

RLVampire

I have tried the HJC but none of the other brands, I picked shoei because I liked how it looked and it was extremely comfortable to wear even for twenty or more minutes, other than I have seen and heard only good things from the company. I have been flippin out the past hour trying on the helmet and violently trying to remove it from my head. It simply doesn't want to come off, my cheek, chin, and head block me from doing so and if I do get into an accident in the future, is it really possible " in this instance " for this rounded off helmet to be ripped off by hitting the pavement? " I am pulling and pushing to the point it REALLY hurts and I stopped doing that about half an hour ago and I still feel the pressure from testing it ..." This might be a stupid question, but is it part of shoei's brand to be extremely comfortable and easy to use helmet ? I am really jittery, I keep trying to and cannot remove my helmet with it secured correctly, did I make a good size choice then?
    Last edited by RLVampire; 05-04-2008 at 9:24 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Ol' Gravy Leg

i don't understand.

you've got the chin strap on, and you say that you can't remove it?

you say that a large hurts your head, and you ask about trying a medium?

there is a substantial break-in, but i just don't understand what you're asking specifically.

did you make a good choice? from what you convey, then no.

how does one "freak out" with a helmet on? is this your first helmet?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
    i don't understand.

you've got the chin strap on, and you say that you can't remove it?

you say that a large hurts your head, and you ask about trying a medium?

there is a substantial break-in, but i just don't understand what you're asking specifically.

did you make a good choice? from what you convey, then no.

how does one "freak out" with a helmet on? is this your first helmet?
    If I follow right he says it fits comfortable but tried so hard to twist and yank it off (while fastened) that it hurts now that he messed around so long. I think he's fine, odd, but fine.

Ol' Gravy Leg

well that about the weirdest thing i've ever heard. hehe, but i think you're right.

perhaps, it's not for riding but just keeping out sunlight.

-Z-

Well if he has it strapped on, of course it's gonna be a lot harder to take off than if the strap is undone....I say try to find the right size with the strap undone, and rather than figuring the right size is where it doesn't come off your head, check for things like how much freeplay there is in the helmet and if there are any pressure points, stuff like that. If you're having trouble figuring out HOW a helmet fits, hopefully someone in the shop there can help you out. A lot of times you can tell how good of a fit a helmet is on someone just by watching them try it on.

RLVampire

Wow, I guess my broken english from being sick and disorienting myself from trying to remove the helmet from my head was pretty bad... I was trying to remove the helmet, because the booklet said that if while fastened if you can remove the helmet its the wrong size... No amount of force was able to remove the helmet so apparently its the right size... Its not a problem on how to fit myself I was just following the manual... Shoei manual has suggestions and I was following them and I passed their tests, just wanted someones opinion on how a helmet should fit...