Helmet Theft?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Theft?

Dignam

Helmet Theft?

So I am still new to this scene and I am paranoid about my helmet. I am curious how common helmet theft is? Do many of you simply leave it sitting on the bike, is locking the strap in your seat enough? I guess I feel like to either someone who knows what they are worth or just to a punk kid who think it looks cool it is a pretty easy target. Is my paranoia here not needed?

any4xx

Re: Helmet Theft?

You're not paranoid. Helmets are often stolen. 99% of he time I carry mine with me. On those occasions where I know I will want to leave it with the bike I use a cable lock and route it through the face shield opening and lock it to the bike.

TattooedGQ

Yup, helmets get snatched all the time. And if you use the helmet hooks in your tail, jerks usually cut the strap. Ive seen it happen way too many times. I carry it....chicks dig it. :-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only place I leave mine on the bike is at work (plenty of security) I work for Fedex. Any other time I carry it with me.

cbrn00b

Carry it with me - dont trust the idiots/morons at my university parking lot.

-Z-

We have lockers at my work, so I put my gear in there. Everywhere else my helmet stays with me. I didn't buy a $600 helmet so someone else could just get it for free.

That being said, there is a pretty sick helmet bag out on the market now, it's called the PacSafe something-something, and it uses a braided steel cable for the draw cord so it can be locked to something, and the bag has a steel mesh weave in the bag's lining to prevent the bag from just being slashed open and the helmet stolen. Of course it's not theft-PROOF (nothing is) but it's pretty damn theft-deterrent.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

where i live i usually just leave it with the bike, but the crime level here in maine is very low.

Aceman

The only time I've left my helmet unattended is when I was on a ferry to France (from England) last month. Even though I was only going to be away from the bike for less than 2 hours, I secured it to the bike with a pair of mini handcuffs. If you never leave yourself open to theft, you'll never have to worry about it.

WyoJames

i carry mine with me, especially when i'm going to class...sit down next to a girl with a nice flashy helmet...and let the questions begin

cbrn00b

Quote Originally Posted by WyoJames View Post
    i carry mine with me, especially when i'm going to class...sit down next to a girl with a nice flashy helmet...and let the questions begin
    Experienced that today

WyoJames

Quote Originally Posted by cbrn00b View Post
    Experienced that today
    fantastic isn't it? lol

TattooedGQ

The same goes for bars....they ask why you're not drinking....draw their attention to the helmet, instant conversation.

johnx14

take it with you all the time, a smart arse only needs to strike once. i take it into the shop to pay for fuel.

Tony929

I never leave mine anywhere i dont have an eye on it!
    Even leaving it at work its on the top shelf of the smoko room in its bag, they are to expensive to get stolen or dammaged.

marius

I CARE MORE ABOUT MY BIKE THEN MY HELMET (RATHER TAKE MY SHELL BEFORE THEY TAKE MY RIDE

Stick

I usually just hang it on the rear pegs with gloves jammed in. Never had a problem. But then I don't like to get very far away from the bike when I have her out. And I don't have a 600.00 dollar helmet. I am sure If i spent half a grand+ on a lid, I would carry it around to. But with all the bugs down here, I can't imagine it staying nice for long.

DragonRider

This is a funny thread, with my Blade I bring my jacket, gloves and my helmet with me, never leaving them on my bike - total cost - maybe $600 for the lot...

On my Harley, I leave my lid, gloves, leather jacket, chaps, boots - probably $1200 - all under or on my bike...I have never worried about anyone stealing them because what kind of idiot is going to go up to a group of Harley's and start lifting gear, really you would have to be a real dumba$$.

With that said, I don't generally ride my sportbike with anyone else there fore no group of bikes, just mine...easy pickins. If I was with a group of sportbikes I would probably leave it there for the same reason as above.

If I lived near a city I would always lock mine up, regardless of which bike I was riding, but I live in the country in Vermont where we all carry guns due to no carry laws to speak of...again, pretty stupid to go picking up stuff that isn't yours.

my .02

pureone

Somebody steal mine so that I have a reason to buy a new one!! Like mine and is ready for replacement (still safe though) but i am too cheap for the winter season.

dicknose

If they are cutting the strap then they will have to go to a bit of effort to put a strap back on (or have a helmet fall off!)
    Generally I work on the fact that anyone who was after my pretty average helmet would be a bike rider and hence understand that taking it is very bad.

And while I live in a big city with typical crime levels (and probably well above average car and bike thefts!) Ive never been too worried about the helmet if its locked on the hook.
    But Im not totally stupd - I dont leave the bike in bad areas!

Ive also left my jacket with the bike - but I lock it with a padlock and run a coily wire thru one of the arms.

Rabidzoomer

I always carry my new KBC race helmet EVERYWHERE!!! I used to have a old artic cat helmet that i got for my snowmobile that was worth about 10$ (maybe 15$ since it had a Hot107.9 radio sticker on it) but i wanted it to get stolen. Now i have my race helmet and take it everywhere. It may not look expensive but i still would crap if i ever saw it missing. Cable locks would work good if you do have to put it on your bike ran through the face shield.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast