Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rain X

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rain X

What's the best thing for shedding water off the visor in the rain?

I'm using Rain X right now but it's just not doing it for me. Is there something better?

Maybe I not applying it right.

wolfy

Re: Rain X

Hi dbierman

I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting a link and especially with what its called, we get it here in the UK and its the bees knees Cat Crap Anti-Fog & Lens Cleaner from Campmor

AL

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't use anything and I have been in plenty of downpours.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

red-donkey

I never had much luck with Rain X over plastic. When I was racing off-road cars in the 80s, we had the same problem. I made a custom visor using a piece of glass cut and formed to fit over my plastic visor. I siliconed the glass into place and it worked great when treated with Rain X.

If you don't want to work with glass, a harder plastic may work. Try Lexan or PMMA.

submarine

It sounds weird but some guys told me that Pledge works great on the visors to make the bugs easier to clean off. It would probably help the rain shed too. I haven't tried it in the rain but I did try it for normal use and it worked better than just a clean visor. I thought it would look cloudy but it didn't.

If you get to try it in rain post up your results.

Twincam

Pledge is a polish so it will "laminate" the visor with a thin film... Its like polishing your windshield/window screen (WARNING: can cause a lot of glare)

I don't use anything, maybe I'm too cheap ... If my visor fogs up, I just open the vents and if needed, pop the visor up a tad...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
    Pledge is a polish so it will "laminate" the visor with a thin film... Its like polishing your windshield/window screen (WARNING: can cause a lot of glare)

I don't use anything, maybe I'm too cheap ... If my visor fogs up, I just open the vents and if needed, pop the visor up a tad...
    I wasn't talking about fog, I was talking about getting rain to shed off the outside.

08silvercbr

Quote Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
    I don't use anything and I have been in plenty of downpours.
    same here

MCR001

dont use that - oops too late u have ruined the film on the plastic lens, RainX and all those products are alcohol based and ruin any of those coatings. Just keep it clean with mild soap and water.

Twincam

Ahh well if you were to polish a car, when it rains the water stays in "blobs" right... I would expect it to do the same in a way if using polish/pledge...

kd4ysi tony

i use rain x or i wax it using mequres wax and both methods work just fine for me

johnx14

i use rain x on the car windows and it works well and lasts for weeks, maybe it works on glass as opposed to plastic?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i use honda spray cleaner and polish on my helmet and visor with a lint free cloth. i actually read somewhere that it was a good way to clean the outside of your lid and visor. needless to say i got more glare with plain warm water and a cloth and none so far with the honda spray cleaner.

as far as the rain is concerned the water runs off better with the honda stuff but i dont know of anyway to keep the visor clear in a rain storm, my gloves held phantoms have a wiper blade on the left index finger which helps but i have yet to end up in a downpour with them. only light rain so far...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

go REALLY FAST and turn your head sideways...thats what i do.

DOOD! u use Honda Polish to clean your visor?! your not supposed to do that. .it will glaze up as it is a wax and will create major glare on your shield from oncoming headlights...

tried it once, ONCE!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i only use a lil bit and make sure i dont leave any residue. i leave work late at night and live in a very densely populated area so far havent got glared out yet. the can of spray im refering to is also badged as "original bike spirits" same as hardly davison spray cleaner. i know at the dealership i sell cars at we have one thats just a polish and detail spray that i wouldnt use...

im gunna actually make it a point to look at oncoming headlights on my way home and if there even a lil glare i will stop use immediately

dicknose

I use rainx on the car and its great, but its not meant to work on most plastics and even recommended not to be used as it could damage them.

dr256

Its that fine rain that gets you worst because the water blobs are too small to run off. I've tried various sprays to keep water off and they all work the same - rubbish.
    I even thought of trying WD40 as its a water repellent. Jeez I'm such a dumb-ass sometimes
    Macca's advice to go faster and turn your head to the side is what I usually do...

Off topic and back too misting up.
    I have a Fog City insert for my Shoie, which is absolutely brilliant. It just a thin piece of film on the inside of the visor which creates a tiny air gap to stop it misting up.
    You can sit there at the lights on a cold morning in the rain with the visor down permanently. Even when you deliberately breath hard there's no misting up.

draenyr

go faster. solves heaps of things. defogs visor, cools you down, beats traffic, gets the water off