1st Jacket Issues : Cheap Leather or Textile
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st Jacket Issues : Cheap Leather or Textile

cbrn00b

1st Jacket Issues : Cheap Leather or Textile

I need to get a jacket soon so that I am protected when I ride. Still haven't taken my ninja out onto the streets due to this.

So here is my question - is it better to get a cheaper (on the scale of things) leather jacket or a decent Cordura/textile jacket??

My budget is like $200 and I really can't push it that far. Thing is this site and every other motorcycle forum I have read says get one with armor etc - but the cheap leather jackets don't have CE approved armor, where as the textile jackets come with CE/Knox elbow/shoulder/back protector.

So what am I to do? Also I ride in Southern California so keep that in mind.

Should I get used leathers or ...

Totally confused.

Twincam

Re: 1st Jacket Issues : Cheap Leather or Textile

You could get an Alpinestars Bionic Body Armour and then like a textile jacket?

It will be quite hot in leathers, but I have respect for you for waiting until you are protected. Keep it up!

cbrn00b

Quote Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
    You could get an Alpinestars Bionic Body Armour and then like a textile jacket?

It will be quite hot in leathers, but I have respect for you for waiting until you are protected. Keep it up!
    Thanks - I am almost to the point of crazy with this decision.

Looking at the Cortech series of Cordura jackets. They seem to come pretty well equiped with armor and high denier cordura.

I am also looking at ebay and craigslist - I'd rather sweat than bleed right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

try these guys.. they have some wicked deals for those lucky enough to be over the other side of the pond

New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD

cbrn00b

Quote Originally Posted by LoopyLee View Post
    try these guys.. they have some wicked deals for those lucky enough to be over the other side of the pond

New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD
    Thanks - I knew about them from searching on here. However whats the deal with them? Are they used/returned stuff? Something about the name just seems to imply that.

TattooedGQ

if you shop the websites you can get good gear cheap. I got my 1st textile, an Icon merc from a stealership for around $180. Then I saw on Kneedraggers.com an Icon Pursuit leather for $130, so I got that. Then last month i saw Teknic Chicane leather jackets for $150 on newenough.com, so I got that too.

The deals are out there, if you look.

TattooedGQ

Quote Originally Posted by cbrn00b View Post
    Thanks - I knew about them from searching on here. However whats the deal with them? Are they used/returned stuff? Something about the name just seems to imply that.
    It's all brand new stuff. GREAT site

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will have to wait for some of the folks on here who have bought from them to reply to that.. I live over the 'other' side of the pond i'm afraid so know nothing about them apart from what the people on here have said

Twincam

Sweat VS. Blood and Road Rash.

Would rather take sweat. Second hand armour (leather/textile) is worth a look, you can even get new old stock from places like eBay etc.

We frequently offer great prices on discontinued items since we have built a reputation with our sources as being a buyer of large quantities of closeout gear.

WyoJames

on newenough.com look at the PowerTrip Blackhawk jacket... within your budget and a good leather jacket with TONS of vents and CE approved armor

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

next time i'm on the look out for a new jacket I'm gonna look at new enough and see if they will ship to the UK.. with the exchange rate being soooo good their stuff is REALLY cheap compared with prices here

Twincam

next time i'm on the look out for a new jacket I'm gonna look at new enough and see if they will ship to the UK.. with the exchange rate being soooo good their stuff is REALLY cheap compared with prices here
    I'm with you on that one, but what about the sizes? Will they be exactly the same as the UK or for example are some makes a little tighter than others etc?

I love the look of some ICON stuff...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I still like the ladies Power Trip Black Widow jacket.. i thinks its wicked and just wish I had the money for it right now

Twincam

I still like the ladies Power Trip Black Widow jacket.. i thinks its wicked and just wish I had the money for it right now
    You trying to tell us something?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
    You trying to tell us something?
    no.. anyway cant become a widow as SSB wont marry me

cbrn00b

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedGQ View Post
    if you shop the websites you can get good gear cheap. I got my 1st textile, an Icon merc from a stealership for around $180. Then I saw on Kneedraggers.com an Icon Pursuit leather for $130, so I got that. Then last month i saw Teknic Chicane leather jackets for $150 on newenough.com, so I got that too.

The deals are out there, if you look.
    Thanks omg - thank you. How is the Teknic Chicane Leather jacket? That looks like exactly what I need? - is there a back protector in the back or just some kinda mouse pad material?

Thanks a lot you guys for the swift responses.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no problem.. we are a right helpful bunch on here

Twincam

no.. anyway cant become a widow as SSB wont marry me
    I'm sure we can sort something out...

Every little helps

Twincam

BTW, the Teknic Chicane Leather jacket looks quite nice - check on google for some reviews before buying.

Good Luck

TattooedGQ

Thanks omg - thank you. How is the Teknic Chicane Leather jacket? That looks like exactly what I need? - is there a back protector in the back or just some kinda mouse pad material?

I like it alot. The armor is pretty substantial, back elbows, shoulders...all of it is CE approved. It's comfortable, and seems to be well made. The one bad part is that the elbow/forearm armor doesn't come out. But it's not that big of a deal. The chest is perforated also, so it's not too hot when you're sitting in traffic. I bought one, my lil bro bought one, and one of my riding buddies bought one after he saw ours. The break in with it is pretty easy too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast