cleaning leathers
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cleaning leathers

jrocket

cleaning leathers

A search didn't reveal anything current for this topic. I've asked the local dry cleaners about cleaning my leather jacket/pants and got an "it will be a 2 week process" answer. I don't want to be without my gear that long...especially now that the weather is turning cooler and chances to ride are greater.
    I've used a spray bottle with water to mist the inside of each and then hung them up to dry. This helps, but I'd at least like to have them "clean" at least once a year.
    Does anyone have any tips, ideas, or products used that clean both inside and out?
    Thanks in advance.

J

GypsyRebel

Re: cleaning leathers

Have you tried a leather shop that carry western wear? they may be able to give you solution or be able to get it done a bit faster than a regular dry cleaner.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never tried it, but I know a few people that use a washing machine to clean it and then hang them out to dry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

macca9540

Quote Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
    Never tried it, but I know a few people that use a washing machine to clean it and then hang them out to dry.
    One of my mates does his in the machine. So I tried mine and it killed them. All the padding in the arse came loose. Be careful!

jrocket

I haven't tried either solution. While there are plenty of western wear stores here in the Lone Star state, I'm not sure of the "help" I'd get with a request like that. And I'm FROM Texas.
    I'm also not too keen on tossing my gear into the washing machine. For what this cost I'd rather not have to replace it if things turned out for the worst.
    Thanks for the suggestions, though.

J

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
    One of my mates does his in the machine. So I tried mine and it killed them. All the padding in the arse came loose. Be careful!
    What cycle did you use?

macca9540

Quote Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
    What cycle did you use?
    The softest. Same as me but mine did'nt hold up to it .

bulldog12

try some febreeze. then hang them out in the sun to dry. i usually forget and toss them in the closet sweaty and stinky. then remember right before i ride.

submaniac

I use shaving cream to clean my white leather Icon jacket. It works great for cleaning. Afterwards I use Zymol or Meguire's leather conditioner to protect it. That's how I "clean" my leathers.

Doomwitha929

Use a mild cleaner like body wash diluted and a soft brush. Use the brush to gently work the cleaner into the leathers. After you have cleaned the leathers wipe them down with a wet rag to remove the soap. Go over the leathers with a shop vac then re wet with a towl again. May take a couple times but they will end up clean, pretty dry and the vac will pull out the grime instead of just letting it dry back into the leather. Hand them dry then apply a good leather care product to keep them moist.

WyoJames

Quote Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
    The softest. Same as me but mine did'nt hold up to it .
    fyi, to prevent that use a cleaning bag/net

bulldog12

Leather Care Products by Leather Therapy

i used this stuff: i used the 4oz bottles of wash/rinse. went by their instructions and everything went smooth. they smell very good now after 20+ track day's, many group rides, and hung in the closet--i wondered if they'd ever smell nice again. I even threw in the gloves. after they dried (the next night) i used some conditioner and the leather was nice and soft again.

FB1000inPA

I am old fashion. I use warm water with a little, gentle soap and rub down the leather. After it tries I use saddle cream and massage it into the leather.

Doomwitha929

A good slide down the back straight at 80mph will clean them right up

bulldog12

but what about the nasty insides? outside's are easy fix. inside not so much.

jrocket

The insides are what I'm referring to as well. I guess I'll try the washing machine method and see what happens. Gulp!

Also, I'm afraid an 80-mph straight-away slide will create a whole different kind of problem on the insides.

J