Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Helmet or Roof

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Helmet or Roof

I need some input from the forum. In Upper Michigan we can ride on most but not all county roads. I was followed and tailgated by one of the local deputies. He did not stop me just followed me too close. I decided to reread the riding rules and look for what I might have been doing wrong. The question of what is a roof has now surfaced. We supposedly do not need a helmet if you have a U.S.DOT approved roof. Two deputies have told me that the roll cage counts as the approved roof and two deputies have told me it does not. I was also told we have to go by the intent of the law not the letter of the law. Does anyone have an opinion as to what an "approved roof" is? So far it looks like whichever deputy stops you determines wether you will get a ticket for improper equipment. We are always buckled in and wear helmets but there are 4 other "senior" riders in the area that do not wear helmets or seat belts. Also the kids that ride are following the example of the adult riders, no helmet.

Thanks for any and all opinions. I am waiting for a reply from the US. DOT as to their intent if the roll cage counts as the roof.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Helmet or Roof

We have had this same issue here in Canada. The law here is basically if you straddle it you have to wear a helmet. So snowmobiles, ATV's and motorcycles fall into this category but the SxS's are a different story. The issue we have is the SxS is really an ATV but it has safety features that you would find on a car or truck. I personally dont wear one but I do wear the seatbelt, have a roof and front windshield. To date I don't think there is any clear direction taken by law enforcement.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here in Minnesota only people under the age of 18 must wear a helmet, optional for 18 and over. I would say the roll cage qualifies.
    2010 Big Red, Camo, SS 112 wheels, ITP 589'S 26x12x12 Rear 26x10x12 Front, Highlifter Springs, #4000 Warn Winch XT with Synthetic Amsteel Rope with Wireless Control, Dual Batteries with Optima Red Top,Cycle Country Plow and Honda Hard Roof.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EskymoEric View Post
    I need some input from the forum. In Upper Michigan we can ride on most but not all county roads. I was followed and tailgated by one of the local deputies. He did not stop me just followed me too close. I decided to reread the riding rules and look for what I might have been doing wrong. The question of what is a roof has now surfaced. We supposedly do not need a helmet if you have a U.S.DOT approved roof. Two deputies have told me that the roll cage counts as the Car parts
    roof and two deputies have told me it does not. I was also told we have to go by the intent of the law not the letter of the law. Does anyone have an opinion as to what an "approved roof" is? So far it looks like whichever deputy stops you determines wether you will get a ticket for improper equipment. We are always buckled in and wear helmets but there are 4 other "senior" riders in the area that do not wear helmets or seat belts. Also the kids that ride are following the example of the adult riders, no helmet.

Thanks for any and all opinions. I am waiting for a reply from the US. DOT as to their intent if the roll cage counts as the roof.
    Haha, that's hilarious dude. I live in Michigan also in Lennon and I swear there's no cops there.. I mean you could do anything illegal and you should be fine. I'm surprised you saw a cop on the road, thats like finding a unicorn.