Baxley Sport Chock review
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baxley Sport Chock review

Chain

Baxley Sport Chock review

Quick bit of background is in order. I've yet to find an intelligent way to tie a Hayabusa down in the back of a pickup. I had previously purchased a welded T-bar off an eBay vendor to transport the bike (so as to keep the tie-downs from rubbing the bike's wide body), but it's not as secure as I'm comfortable with. After some shopping around, I bought a Baxley Sport Chock.

This is easily the most nicely made, well engineered motorcycle accessory I've ever owned, of any kind. It's heavy, with sturdy rubber feet that don't skid, and thick wrinkle coat paint. It works like a charm. Once you roll even my big heavy scooter into this thing, you can clamber around on the back end of the machine with the SOB locked into place, nary a worry. Two straps running from the swingarm brace forward to the tie-down points in the front floor of my pickup's box and I'm good to go! Outstanding product that does double duty as a work stand/transport device, and really nice folks to deal with on the phone at Baxley.

They ship the owner's manual for the chock with several pieces of what some people might label Christian propaganda, but being a God fearing man myself, I'm not the least bit offended by it. In fact, I'd rather deal with the straight-up folks at Baxley Trailer Company than alot of people in the aftermarket business these days.

$205 for black, $215 for colors (including Honda red). I give the Baxley Sport Chock two hearty thumbs up!

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/index.html
    Last edited by Chain; 05-07-2006 at 8:47 AM.

bwhip

Re: Baxley Sport Chock review

It is a very cleverly designed and extremely well-made product. I love mine, and I know it will be great for track day use and for transport.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bwhip
    It is a very cleverly designed and extremely well-made product. I love mine, and I know it will be great for track day use and for transport.
    Now if you just hadn't wussed out for the best track days of the year, you'd be all set.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

bwhip

Quote Originally Posted by abtech
    Now if you just hadn't wussed out for the best track days of the year, you'd be all set.
    Ouch! You got me there. But hey, ND4SPD started it!

Is it too early to start lobbying for Fireblades.org Days 2006 to be a little bit more to the west?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it too early to start lobbying for Fireblades.org Days 2006 to be a little bit more to the west?

Lobby all you want, as another event is always encouraged. Just know that the Grattan event is "THE" annual event and will happen regardless of other venues . . .

Actually, Heavy-Dee and FearJ backed out long before you and finally ND4SPD. Since Dee and FearJ live pretty close to each other, my money says they made some other plans, especially since both of them are racing this year. Now to get really nasty, I wonder what a race weekend costs (or a few of them) compared to 3 leisurely track days 170 miles away from home . . .
    Last edited by abtech; 04-21-2005 at 5:15 PM.

sheepofblue

A winterish one in Arizona would be cool but the one thing missing is the organizer I think with all the effort he puts out we need to let him pick the track and be thankful also

Besides we all know that once you found out the sheep would be on RCs you realized you could not catch them from behind like you westerners do

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We tried a couple of years back, but the interest was weak.
    Last edited by luvtolean; 04-21-2005 at 5:30 PM.

Heavy-Dee

Actually, Heavy-Dee and FearJ backed out long before you and finally ND4SPD. Since Dee and FearJ live pretty close to each other, my money says they made some other plans, especially since both of them are racing this year. Now to get really nasty, I wonder what a race weekend costs (or a few of them) compared to 3 leisurely track days 170 miles away from home . . .

Man, pullin out all the stops aren't we? I've been totally honest about why I pulled out. And Fearj and I made our decisions seperately. That is the truth.
    Fearj pulled out b/c he just started a new job and didn't want to take the time off during the week. I think we can all understand that can't we?

Yes, him and I are doing some racing. The cost of the transponder aside, my race day cost me $75 bucks, and the track is less than an hour from my home, and 15 mins for fearj, so there are no hotel or meal costs as we can go home after the race and pack lunch.

I'd love to do Grattan again, but I was looking at spending close to if not over a grand to make the journey. I've been hit was a lot of expenses this year, and have more to come totalling roughly another 2k, and that doesn't count my $3100 tax bill. Not to mention I've already purchased a few toys this year, like my bicycle.

I can do a race here and there if I like, rather than drop a cool $1k on three days at Grattan. Which by the way, I haven't received my refund yet. Is there a problem?

Not that I'm obligated to defend myself.....

HD
    Last edited by Heavy-Dee; 04-21-2005 at 6:12 PM.

Scratch

That Baxley is sweet! The trailering part is a huge bonus. Do you tie off the subframe or attach the straps to the swingarm? I ask because swingarm seems like kind of a low spot to attach the straps to. But I guess you want all the force pushing the bike forward into the chock instead of down?

I think everyone needs one of those, seriously looking into one myself.

damon_achey

They are great but be carefull with it. It will hold the bike up all by itself, but it's possible to "make" it fall over in your garage if you stand on one peg while trying to throw your other leg over. To the stands credit, the front tire was still firmly secured even while tipped over, but I apparently was able to overcome the stability provided by the arms that stick out. That cost me one windscreen on the racebike.

Chain

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch
    That Baxley is sweet! The trailering part is a huge bonus. Do you tie off the subframe or attach the straps to the swingarm? I ask because swingarm seems like kind of a low spot to attach the straps to. But I guess you want all the force pushing the bike forward into the chock instead of down?

I think everyone needs one of those, seriously looking into one myself.
    Holy threadjack Batman, a question about the Sport Chock.

The company says you can tie off virtually anyplace on the rear end of the bike to include the passenger footpeg brackets - all you're doing is lightly holding the bike forward in the chock. The slight downward angle of the straps as suggested keeps the bike from bouncing around were you to hit a pothole for instance.
    Last edited by Chain; 05-07-2006 at 8:47 AM.

Scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Holy threadjack Batman, a question about the Sport Chock.

The company says you can tie off virtually anyplace on the rear end of the bike to include the passenger footpeg brackets - all you're doing is lightly holding the bike forward in the chock. The slight downward angle of the straps as suggested keeps the bike from bouncing around were you to hit a pothole for instance.

Nice, thanks for the pic. I'ma pickin' one up

HondaGalToo

That 2 strap tie down method works great. I've been doing that for years with a conventional wheel chock. You must use a wheel chock to do it. On my 929, I run the straps through the front-most part of the subframe. Basically, you're looking for someplace low in the area of the pegs to run the straps. It compresses the front and rear suspension together, and no undue stress on the forks. Can't do it with the 954, unfortunately, since they covered the entire subframe with plastic.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chain

I guess I can't gripe about the threadjackery going on here if I too am joining in the fray. Both you guys suck for cancelling!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
    Man, pullin out all the stops aren't we? I've been totally honest about why I pulled out. And Fearj and I made our decisions seperately. That is the truth.
    Fearj pulled out b/c he just started a new job and didn't want to take the time off during the week. I think we can all understand that can't we?

Yes, him and I are doing some racing. The cost of the transponder aside, my race day cost me $75 bucks, and the track is less than an hour from my home, and 15 mins for fearj, so there are no hotel or meal costs as we can go home after the race and pack lunch.

I'd love to do Grattan again, but I was looking at spending close to if not over a grand to make the journey. I've been hit was a lot of expenses this year, and have more to come totalling roughly another 2k, and that doesn't count my $3100 tax bill. Not to mention I've already purchased a few toys this year, like my bicycle.

I can do a race here and there if I like, rather than drop a cool $1k on three days at Grattan. Which by the way, I haven't received my refund yet. Is there a problem?

Not that I'm obligated to defend myself.....

HD
    Whoa there buddy. This was meant as some tongue in cheek cage rattling, nothing more. I totally understand expenses and whatnot and it's none of my business anyway. Without membership support the annual event at Grattan would be a pipe dream, so I appreciate all of the effort everyone makes every year. I am really sorry you and Jim won't be able to make it this year.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whoa there buddy.
    HD, you'll have to excuse Abtech; he's been hanging out with the emoticon-less sarcastic ****-stirrer (me) too much recently.

Heavy-Dee

Yea, I may have been in a bit of a fiest mood when that post flew out of my fingers. Sorry dood.

HD

dB

Chain, are you saying you can use this in your pickup bed without bolting it down? And with just the two straps from back to front?

Have you done this and is it secure?

How'd you get the Busa in the pickup? Semi serious question there...I'm looking for a good ramp.

efward

The Baxley chock rules.
    Christian literature not withstanding, this thing is the best wheel chock/stand I've ever used.
    It also is capable of being secured to your trailer or truck bed with a few bolts that will make it even more secure. Not like it needs it though, especially in a truck.
    Used it with the 954, and various other bikes all with outstanding results.
    I still use the canyon dancer and tie down the front as I like the downward force rather than a forward pull, but after reading this thread I might go back and look for a mid point to pull from. Who knows?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast