Prototype DIY Sport Chock
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Prototype DIY Sport Chock

mguzzipilot

Prototype DIY Sport Chock

I just finished a prototype of a DIY automatic locking front wheel stand thingy (think Baxley Sport Chock or Condor Chock) tonight.

It is actually pretty sturdy, but I need to add something to keep it from sliding out from under the wheel when you pull up onto it.
    It's a little rough around the edges since the design was basically driven by whay I had in the scrap pile.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...GoverChock.jpg
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rChock2001.jpg

Works better than I thought since I was building it on blind faith and have never actually seen one work in person.

What do you all think?

crzdriver

Re: Prototype DIY Sport Chock

Looks alright. I just finished my rear wheel stand today from scrap at the shop. Next project will be similar to your's for the front end. Looks like a good job.

cvc14

Looks great..

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

mguzzipilot

It also folds up so it takes up less room and can be hung from my garage and/or trailer wall:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ot/GChock4.jpg
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ot/GChock3.jpg

I think it turned out OK - Thanks for the compliments.

SamoanzRR

Thats cool. so how much time and money did you save??? enough for a cold one right???

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I get back home to my welder this summer I might give that a try. I have some pretty good connections to raw materials. Will that safely hold the bike up on its own or there something else in the picture that I am not seeing?

mguzzipilot

Total raw materials - if I bought them instead of scrounging them - would be minimal. Took me about 2 evenings to weld it up. I still need another evening to clean it up and paint it, but 3 night ain't so bad.

Actually it cost me about 4 cold ones, come to think of it...

It is the only thing holding up the bike in the pic. I wouldn't let a hyperactive monkey climb on it with only the chock holding it, but should work plenty good in the pits.

LITEITUP

I think its pretty badass to be honest. I wish I could do some custom fabrication like that. I would start it, then figure out my idea wouldnt work then sit and think, eventually never figuring out.

mguzzipilot

Thanks for the compliment. Next on my list of junk-pile engineering is a tire changer...but I gotta do a little more scavenging for parts first...

Fastrr

Looks great Do you mount those things onto a trailer?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would you be willing to post up the dimensions of the areas that I marked as A, B, C, D, and E? And F, G which I forgot to mark on the picture which would be the length perpendicular to "D" down to the pivot arm and from the pivot arm to the other section that is identical to "D." It would make it a lot faster for me to recreate one similar to yours. Also if there are any distances that you would do differently if you were to try to "perfect" yours would be awesome. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by slickwill; 11-14-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LITEITUP View Post
    I think its pretty badass to be honest. I wish I could do some custom fabrication like that. I would start it, then figure out my idea wouldnt work then sit and think, eventually never figuring out.

hell yeah, me too. only I wouldn't even get it started. I'd just think "I wanna build a thingy like this" and then it wouldn't get done because I either don't have the skills/know-how to do it or I lose interest. I think it looks pretty damn good too. I think some people would look at it and say it looks like crap. I look at it and say once that thing is cleaned up and painted it would look awesome.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

Fastrr

Quote Originally Posted by mguzzipilot View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. Next on my list of junk-pile engineering is a tire changer...but I gotta do a little more scavenging for parts first...
    Check out the "NoMar" tire changers ... maybe you can make one that won't scratch the wheel

Wish I had a tire changer, but then again i have nowhere to put it.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    hell yeah, me too. only I wouldn't even get it started. I'd just think "I wanna build a thingy like this" and then it wouldn't get done because I either don't have the skills/know-how to do it or I lose interest. I think it looks pretty damn good too. I think some people would look at it and say it looks like crap. I look at it and say once that thing is cleaned up and painted it would look awesome.

A little sanding, smooth some edges with an angle grinder, and throw on some paint and it will look better than awesome because it is actually affordable. Or just say "to heck with what anyone thinks about the looks," and use it like it is. It is still awesome. As soon as school ends I'm building one of these. Then I'm going to work on one made out of carbon fiber. If I get the CF to work out I'll send royalties to mguzzipilot. I'll be back home in Idaho with access to my welder for exactly one month so I have to be ready to go when I get there.

This thing is pretty trick as well...but much less affordable.

https://www.pioneerforums.com/forums/...ike-hoist.html

sinfuldragon

Actually it cost me about 4 cold ones, come to think of it...
    I'll send you enough for a 12 pack if you build me one!!!

mguzzipilot

Sorry for the late response guys - I've been away from my office for a while.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I have a drawing of the chock back ot the office that shows the dimensions. I will post it for anyone interested in trying to replicate my "work of art" when I get back in - sometime early this week.

Cheers

mguzzipilot

and oh...that Bike Hoist is another great idea. I love it!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the late response guys - I've been away from my office for a while.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I have a drawing of the chock back ot the office that shows the dimensions. I will post it for anyone interested in trying to replicate my "work of art" when I get back in - sometime early this week.

Cheers

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing. If I get bored this summer I might make a few of them.

mguzzipilot

here are some pics with some dimensions. I strayed from these plans a little where material availability dictated, but the dimensions should be pretty close.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...lot/chock2.jpg
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...lot/chock1.jpg

My only request is that if you use these plans you do 2 things:
    1. post a pic
    2. praise me if it woks, but don't curse me if your bike falls over!

Have fun.