Replacing Fork Seals on 2000 RC51???
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacing Fork Seals on 2000 RC51???

snowbdr1613

Replacing Fork Seals on 2000 RC51???

I have a bad fork seal on my RC51 and was wondering if i should replace it myself or should i have it done by someone....and what does it involve doing a fork seal
    Last edited by snowbdr1613; 07-26-2007 at 7:59 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Replacing Fork Seals on 2000 RC51???

It's not that hard, but this should give you an idea of what the forks look like...

https://www.pioneerforums.com/forums/...tml#post605063

RC51 forks are on the right. Personally, I let the suspension pros handle my forks.

LITEITUP

Wowzer! I replaced springs, seals, and fluid on my F3 forks but damn that picture you got Red Rider kinda scares me going into my 954 forks. Prolly this winter I will be wanting stiffer springs and change fluid. I might try myself but maybe send them in to get done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

mostecak

Just did seals on my 954. No problemo. Just need the "seal driver" tool to get the new seal in place.

Fastrr

sometimes you can find a "deal" on fork seal driver tools on eBay. Otherwise MotionPro makes good ones for around $60.

Here in Phoenix it costs $90 to take the forks by themselves in to the dealer/shop to have them install new seals and fork oil. On the bike they charge $200.

Gigolo Jason

I made my own fork seal tool out of a 1-1/2" pvc coupler that I cut in half and held onto the forks with two worm clamps.

Beat the back side of the pvc with a big screwdriver and a hammer and your seals will set without damage.

Jfriday

service manual goes step by step on how to replace them and then i just took it to a dealership to tap the seals in, didn't even charge me since it took less then 2 minutes to do

wingerdor

I'm with Red on Cartridge shocks. Take'm to a suspensions shop, not stealer. They are complicated and more importantly, you must disassemble them entirely in order to clean them properly. the damping orafices are tiny and can easily get clogged by particulate. The other reason for the suspension guru is that they can check your parts for problems as they do it.

If you had Damping rod forks, it would not be near as complicated and the holes are alot bigger.

WheelieZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jfriday View Post
    service manual goes step by step on how to replace them and then i just took it to a dealership to tap the seals in, didn't even charge me since it took less then 2 minutes to do

Why hello there Jesse. Lol wanna come do my for seals?

Been out riding much this year?

WheelieZ

Quote Originally Posted by Gigolo Jason View Post
    I made my own fork seal tool out of a 1-1/2" pvc coupler that I cut in half and held onto the forks with two worm clamps.

Beat the back side of the pvc with a big screwdriver and a hammer and your seals will set without damage.
    got a pic of this home made tool? I'm too cheap and the dealer round here thinks they're sellin gold they wanted 50 bux to swap a set of tires (wheels off the bike not even balancing) K I'm done