Electrical Snag
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Electrical Snag

dez101

Electrical Snag

Hi,
    I have a 1999 fireblade and I seem to have a major problem with my electrical system. I have troubleshooted the system and tracked down the problem to the instrument panel. The problem is that the haynes manual says that there should be no more that 0.1 miliamps drain from the battery with the engine off but my bike drains at 1.023 miliamps. I have changed the instrument panel circuit board but the problem still exists can someone please help.

dattaway

Re: Electrical Snag

Well, if your battery has 10 amp/hours, its going to take nearly 10,000 hours to drain it with 0.001023 amps. Your battery might self discharge faster than that.

dez101

that is the problem. my battery drains in approx 2 weeks. like I have said the drain should be no more that 0.1 and the fact that its 1.023 means that there is a problem. I must also say that I have gone through every electrical connection on the bike and the reading remains the same until I disconnect the instrument panel when the drain drops to nothing is there anybody out there that can help

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

dattaway

Well used lead acid batteries often have problems retaining a charge after a week or two. That just their nature. A new one can hold most of the charge for several months, but after a little use the long term retention ability drops like a rock. If your battery has made it for three years, it has served you well.

dez101

the battery is brand new only purchased 2 weeks ago

macker

hi there one of the major causes of battery drain is the rectifer as when one of the diodes pop it allows power drain it works like a tap as well as converting ac to dc volts so stick the amp meter on it and plug out the r/c and see if the drain stops

Twincam

Is there an alarm on the bike? You can get a device that fits onto the positive lead from the battery than can disconect it (Isolator), it will also act like an extra security system.

Find Battery Cut Off Switch - complete with 2 keys - NEW on eBay within Other Security Electrical, Security Electrical, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 04-Nov-07 10:08:44 GMT)

There is one..

ilost1mind

regulator and rectifier should be checked, they tend to go out, that was the issue with mine and now its perfect, sorta