Tick - Tick - Tick
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tick - Tick - Tick

Psinic

Tick - Tick - Tick

Hi Guys,

Over the last week or so i have noticed a slight ticking noise from the top of my M reg (98?) Blade... It is there from cold and still there when warm, maybe a little louder when warm. It increased and decreases with engine revs. Being as this bike is my pride and joy, this really has me worried.. Doesn't sound to chainie and doesn't seem to be coming from the exhaust. I have read on alot of forums that blade's are known for weak camchain tensioners, but i have a receipt showing it had a new one three years ago.

Any ideas.?

Thanks,

Psinic.

dattaway

Re: Tick - Tick - Tick

There needs to be a page in the front of every owner's manual that says:

"Ticking is a normal sound of a healthy bike once it breaks in. Enjoy the music."

My cbr600f4 has been ticking for more than 50,000 miles. I hope it ticks another 200,000 miles before it needs service for something.

Psinic

Hmm ok good point but...

How do you know the sound of a healthy ticking from an unhealthy one.? Only this might be me being over zealous coz a fault on my bike is like loosing a limb to me.. But i dont remember hearing this noise a week or so ago...

Cheers,

Psi..

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

dattaway

Quote Originally Posted by Psinic View Post
    Hmm ok good point but...

How do you know the sound of a healthy ticking from an unhealthy one.? Only this might be me being over zealous coz a fault on my bike is like loosing a limb to me.. But i dont remember hearing this noise a week or so ago...

A tick with your oil pressure light on is the unhealthy sound of a tick. All other ticks are the sound of a healthy Honda ticker. Sometimes it will tick and might be quiet for a few weeks only to come back with a vengence. Its all good.

Kick_Ass

mine was ticking and i found culprit; a few loose screws in the windshield. all ticking is not good. take a few minutes to inspect and tighten all screws and bolts then start it up and see if maybe that solved the problem.

fireblade3876

If it was the cam chain tensioner then you would hear it when the bike is started, it sounds to me like it could be your valve clearances, maybe get your shims and valves checked over.

HOONRAKER

It won't be shims even if they are out (usually tight rather than loose), only the old style tappets used to tick. How many K's on the bike? My old 2001 R1 used to tick and I'm pretty sure my 2007 Blade does, but it's just mechanical noise and probably always there but you've only just noticed it or it's become more apparent as the engine continues to bed in. One other possibility is a lower viscosity oil being used (thinner) you will here more engine noise with thinner oil.

blue1000rr

sounds like a lifter possibly?

BALDGONZO

Quote Originally Posted by blue1000rr View Post
    sounds like a lifter possibly?
    Overhead camshaft engines don't have lifters.

Psinic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys - I think i have found it. Doing my winter clean down/lube up/tighten session I found a small hole in the exhaust collector, so small you cant even see the gasses jetting out, but its there and its blowing.. Putting my finger over it briefly seems to stop the noise..

Thank god for GunGum..

Thanks Psinic.

blue1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by BALDGONZO View Post
    Overhead camshaft engines don't have lifters.
    overhead cams dont have a tradtional lifter but they do still have a form of a lifter. at least on all the ones ive worked on, but i dont do a lot of bike motorwork

sospelotudo

The part that is equivalent to a lifter in most OHC engines is called a cam follower or "bucket," but I knew what you meant, and so would most people.

Search tags for this page

1985 honda big red ticking noise

85 honda big red makes a tick tick tick noies

honda big red loud ticking

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.