Theft Security?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Theft Security?

RLVampire

Theft Security?

Other than an alarm system with the ability to disable a bike, what kind of lock should I put on my bike to make thieves think " I should just walk ..... "

rokitt51

Re: Theft Security?

The chain and deadbolt on your house doors. Not kidding if you live on first floor of an apt or have a house.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For use at home or "out on the town?"

Home use, drill and set concrete anchors into your garage floor then run a chain through your bike.

Away, there are a lot of options, none of them great. Disc lock, cable lock, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

jayeemo

i heard there is a GPS for bike but dam da cost

RLVampire

I'm in an apartment, so other than drilling and anchors and other things ... how good are the 25 or 30 mm cables ? When I do get my bike, I am gonna get 2 things for it and i was just wondering if you guys had recommendations for things you can attach or integrate into the bike

ucfmotorcycle1

Anything that makes it harder to get it will help. But if they want your bike they are going to get it. When I lived in an APT I kept the bike covered at all times and used a thick cable and locked it to a pole or tree.

Disc locs and locking the bike to itself in my opinion does nothing. The bike thefts that I have heard of involved a van or truck and a copule guys throwing the bike in the back and taking off.

The best you can do besides locking it inside a garage is keeping it covered and locked to something sturdy, in an area that is well lit.

-Z-

Land mine with trip wire. 'Nuff said.

Realistically though, I have one of those sweet little infrared alarms that you install in your garage, and of course the bikes have disc locks on them at all times. Yes, it's still not 100% percent. But in my quest to attain that sacred 100%, I have acquired the following items...

1) Nosy neighbors with dogs
    2) Nosy neighbors who are up sometimes even later than me.
    3) .45 cal pistol

and the best one yet....

4) A neighbor who is a federal marshall with the ears of a freaking bat and a shotgun by his bed.

Twincam

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post

4) A neighbour who is a federal marshall with the ears of a freaking bat and a shotgun by his bed.
    I wish i had one of those...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ears of a freaking bat and a (double barrell) shotgun by his bed.
    That's me.

dattaway

Locks are the best. If they weigh 1000 pounds!

If they can defeat the lock on your steering column by picking up your bike and slinging it into the back of a truck, that disc lock isn't going to slow them down one second.

Out of sight, out of mind is the best security. Locks only keep honest people honest.

Desert Blade

Had my bike on my doorstep under one of those super bright halogen night lamps and they backed a truck THROUGH my fence, tossed it in the bed disc locks and all and drove off before I could do ****. Had to try and chase them bastards with my mothers minivan! Lo-jack will get your bike BACK, but only after its been tossed in a truck or van and screwed up cosmeticly. And in my case quick stripped too. I live in an apartment now and my 1000rr makes a GREAT living room conversation piece............

RLVampire

I would like to buy the #4 please, super size it!

oldnslow

Quote Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1 View Post
    Anything that makes it harder to get it will help. But if they want your bike they are going to get it. When I lived in an APT I kept the bike covered at all times and used a thick cable and locked it to a pole or tree.

Disc locs and locking the bike to itself in my opinion does nothing. The bike thefts that I have heard of involved a van or truck and a copule guys throwing the bike in the back and taking off.

The best you can do besides locking it inside a garage is keeping it covered and locked to something sturdy, in an area that is well lit.
    Lock it to something, disc locks don't do squat, they will just pick up the whole bike anyway.

Alarm with a perimeter sensor would be the go I think.

If I lived in an apartment I would take it inside.

-Z-

Back when I used to live in an apartment complex I had a first floor apartment near the parking lot. Visitors were immediately confronted by a 99 Honda Interceptor when they walked through the door. Moved the table from the kitchen/dining area to make room for the F4i when I got that, and the couch and coffee table had to go to make room for the 929. Half the time the place looked more like a garage than an apartment. I definitely didn't get my deposit back when I moved out. Still, it was better than risking having them stolen from outside.

Maxsurgeon15

Those scorpion systems look pretty nice, you can even get a perimeter sensor for it so they don't even have to touch it for your alarm to go off.