Tire changing equipment
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tire changing equipment

exit90a

Tire changing equipment

I have thought about getting equipment to change my tires in the past, but the stuff I found was several hundred dollars and didn't make sense $$$ wise. I found this stuff from Harbor Freight and was curious if anyone had used it and could give it a rating. Total shopped is $128.00 for both pieces of equipment. Sounds pretty reasonable. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

exit90a

Re: Tire changing equipment

I guess no one uses this stuff. If you do change your own tires then what are you using? I need to put a kit together.

bulldog12

1. 2x4's
    a. 1 6ft long (for the lever)
    b. 2 2ft long (to lay wheel on so you don't scuff rotor, or get dirt in axle hole
    c. 3 1ft long (to break bead with)
    2. valve core remover
    3. 2 tire spoons (long thin, at least one curved will do the trick)
    4. little soapy water
    5. AIR to fill tire with. make sure it "POPS"

*hint: to keep from getting really upset when removing tire from wheel, keep pushing the tire down so that the bead isn't trying to connect (keep it in the valley) (this makes sense in my head) it free's up just enough to remove tire. if you don't do this i'm pretty sure it's impossible (2 hours of trying this before i figured it out)

**hint#2: when breaking the bead, use as much as possible of the 6ft 2x4 for the maximum leveage. if you place it just right it'll break bead easily, if not it will just keep slipping off.

***after the first time it gets so much easier. i save at least $50 w/ each set of tires swapped. Lot's of pride when i'm done. Good Luck, and it's not near as bad as i thought (after the first time)
    Last edited by bulldog12; 08-11-2008 at 11:44 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I_FLY_LOW

I bought the HF setup, but wound up using just the bead breaker. I made a 2x4 frame, to lay the wheel on, and set that on the base of the bead breaker, then once that's done I use tire spoons, rim protectors, and lots of pledge, to lube the rim and tire, and removal, and replacement are within minutes...

Bulldog's way is how I started, and is spot on, for procedure, when doing it manually...
    Keeping the bead in the vally is the key, and lots of lube on the rim...
    I upgraded the next go round with the bead breaker...

exit90a

I have been drooling over this setup for some time, but it's hard to justify $800 to change my own tires. I guess I'll try the 2x4s and tire levers method and see how it goes before I but any kind of equipment. Thanks for the tips.

exit90a

I decided the no-mar equipment was too much $$$ for me to justify any savings in changing my own tires. I got the harbor freight set up instead, with the addition of a few other pieces to make it more functional. I got the no-mar tire change bar cause the H/F piece was barbaric in comparison, and sure to ruin rim paint. I also added some mojo blocks to the rim clamping jaw area. These are small plastic/nylon blocks which bolt on and are meant to save the rims from damage. I have not used the tire changer yet, but it looks as if it will fit my needs quite well at a total cost for all parts mentioned of $250. Once I use it I will report on how well it works.

segiano

Just curious, how will you balance your wheels after you mount new tires?

bulldog12

i haven't balanced mine. haven't had any trouble yet.

exit90a

I have ordered one of the harbor freight balancers as well. I have not seen it yet, but the design is very similar to those selling for twice as much. I'll report back on it when it gets here. Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog12 View Post
    i haven't balanced mine. haven't had any trouble yet.
    Me too. I haven't balanced a bike wheel in over twenty years and had zero problems on the road or track - well over 100 tyre changes.
    Just take a scale to the tyre shop and weigh several identical tyres.
    I was stunned at how closely weighted race-quality tyres are - just a few grams weight difference over 4-6kg of rubber.

bettingpython

Quote Originally Posted by exit90a View Post
    I have been drooling over this setup for some time, but it's hard to justify $800 to change my own tires. I guess I'll try the 2x4s and tire levers method and see how it goes before I but any kind of equipment. Thanks for the tips.
    The trick is to do a group buy, I have a review posted here on the no-mar setup. 7 of us went in together as partners and bought the no-mar setup. It's well worth the money and once you get the hang of it easy as all get out to use. The HF setup tends to slip and scratches the crap out of rims. We bought the complete setup including the static balancer.

Search tags for this page

anyone have pictures or video of how to use a coats 220 tire changer
big red tire maching
change a honda big red tire
how to change tire honda big red

mojo blocks rim protectors

motorcycle rim protectors harbor freight

tire changing equipment

vehicle honda change tyre
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.